Tiffen Ultra / Low Contrast filters

Inazuma

Because that is like having a bag of M&Ms and then empty it out over a glass, with some of the M&Ms missing the glass completely and fall on the floor and say 'look, now they're in the glass'. No, they aren't, not all of them. Just effin' great. I was looking forward to eating those, but I ain't eating 'em offa this floor!

Better to deal with things before they get captured, rather than the notorious 'fixing it in post'.

So a filter is like a funnel.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You talk like a southerner.

Oh do I, now? Interesting observation, dare I say. Interesting indeed. :) I've got all sorts of influences going on having consumed tons of different English spoken media (yay! for not consuming media with foreign language dubbed audio, ef that shih #amirite (included a hashtag specially for you)) and talking to people from all ends of the world. The Dutch guy in Austria talking like a southerner. What is this mad world we live in, eh!?

Most certainly is mad. I remember a Philip K Dick quote where it said in Man's future a robot will have red blood while a human: oil. Yeah we are getting to be like robots.

Anyway just to update on a recent order my HD/TV FX filter is coming soon. I think the significance, to me, of it is that it is a digital diffusion with ultra contrast filter relating to the topic at hand.

Nice, I was curious 'bout those when I found out that:

Yeah, according Tiffen there's 'Black Pro-Mist 1/Ultra Contrast 1, HDTV/FX' for 'Film Look On Video'. According a broshure found here , what they help to do is...

ULTRA CONTRAST
Recognized with a Technical Achievement Award from the Academy
of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, this filter redistributes ambient
light to capture details that would be lost in shadows. Lowers con-
trast evenly throughout image with no flare or halation

BLACK PRO-MIST
Similar characteristics to Pro-Mist*, providing a more
subtle effect. Less lightening of shadows and reduction
of contrast.

(* PRO-MIST Most popular motion picture effect. Creates special "atmosphere" by softening excess sharpness and contrast; creates pearlescent glow around highlights. Great for portraits and landscapes)

HDTV/FX
Addresses both contrast and sharpness issues associ-
ated with HD.
Creates "film look" and provides subtle
improvements in shadow detail

So... I guess you'd get the Ultra Contrast for evening out exposure, ups the shadows and reduces contrast. The Black Pro-Mist does the same, but softens the sharpness and creates glowy highlights. The HDTV/FX does it without the blooming highlights. I actually don't get overly sharp images, depending on what lenses I use, so the Ultra Contrast works for me.

Are you sure you're having issues with sharpness though, shooting with a T2i? I mean, the MFT cameras might have that slightly harsh edge, but I'd say Canon is soft enough as it is? Wouldn't Ultra Contrast be right up your alley as well?

Someone on this forum mentioned a podcast I hadn't heard of called "The Wandering DP" and it happened to recently feature Katelin Arizmendi, who's work I've come to admire in the last few months. On it, she says that she's not a fan of the black pro-mist filters, which I can agree with after having used them not long ago. Instead she uses Ultra Contrast filters. Sometimes strengths 1 and 2 stacked together. 

I have a GH4 and EM5ii with Panasonic lenses 12-35, 14-140 and Leica 25, all with 58mm threads so I could use the filter on all of them. Based on experience. What filter would people recommend to make the lens/camera combinations mentioned look more filmic and easier to grade and less digital?

All advice greatly received

Thanx B.

I have a GH4 and EM5ii with Panasonic lenses 12-35, 14-140 and Leica 25, all with 58mm threads so I could use the filter on all of them. Based on experience. What filter would people recommend to make the lens/camera combinations mentioned look more filmic and easier to grade and less digital?

Thanx B.

That is personal preference in my opinion. If you read the pages from this thread you will see that some people (including me) like the Ultra Contrast 3, whereas others also like 5. I think that 3 is a good allround solution.

Here's a nice alternative - Hasselblad made a set of 3 4x4 rigid resin soft filters, in light, medium and heavy. They show up on eBay often for $50 or less for the set. Here's the "light" filter (pardon my ugly mug with my slightly hungover saturday morning style - the bartender was verrrry friendly last night). It's really not a bad little filter, but it does look pretty "apparent" compared to modern alternatives:hassy.thumb.jpg.6ac56791fb4dc1b7a422e996

There's a pretty big highlight bloom going on, but in situations without big pinging lights (see the density on the right side of the frame) it looks like something handy to have. At 100% there's good detail smoothing but good sharpness for eye lights.

Here is a 2015 test comparing different strengths of Ultracon, low con etc... Some of the filters look drastic, but If you open multiple browser windows side x side and pause the test on Clean, Ultracon, lowcon etc.. you can make a better comparison.  Keep in mind small vs large viewing screens and different focal lengths change the strength of a filters look.  I use Schnieder Digicon a bit, as it lowers highlights by adding black specs in the filter.  As you can see in the test, it is almost like an optical log.   I also have used Hollywood Blackmagic to take the digital edge off, but it isn't included in the test.  Curious how it compares to Glimmer Glass?   http://vimeo.com/116316115

Seems the video is password protected. Any chance to see it?

Thanx B.

Tiffen HDTV/FX 1/2 58mm - EUR 11.32 (+ UK shipping c. EUR 9.99; AVIDES, via Amazon.de): http://www.amazon.de/Tiffen-Filter-58MM-HDTV-FILTER/dp/B001U8888M/ref=sr_1_69?ie=UTF8&qid=1454358161&sr=8-69&keywords=tiffen+filter+58mm

Wowzahs. Those are the better kind of deals. Good tip! Thanks. They only allow a very select few items to be shipped outside of Germany (or to Austria) it seems though... but I've been interested in the 77mm Smoque 1 and for EUR 29,98 incl. shipping, I'm going to find out of that really does add atmosphere. I'm not one to go ahead and take fog machines with me everywhere, you know.

Wowzahs. Those are the better kind of deals. Good tip! Thanks. They only allow a very select few items to be shipped outside of Germany (or to Austria) it seems though... but I've been interested in the 77mm Smoque 1 and for EUR 29,98 incl. shipping, I'm going to find out of that really does add atmosphere. I'm not one to go ahead and take fog machines with me everywhere, you know.

Yeah, pretty pricey. :-) Paid 16 EUR (Avides) for 52mm Glimmerglass 1 - lowest density and 26 EUR for HDTV/FX 1/2 filter.

Unfortunately, they don't sell 52mm UltraContrast 1 or 2, only UC 4: http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B001U3ZVBY/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Not sure what to call... I guess my doctor after seeing that. :)

But seriously, it's hard to judge when you're swinging it around like that. how am I supposed to dissect any of that?

But taking it in... I don't really see it. Lock it down. Light a scene. Because I'm going to be honest with ya, I don't think I'm seeing the amazeballs footage you're seeing from that just quite yet.

A lot of Alexa's magic (and the film magic it's emulating) is halation/diffusion.

After further use of the ultra contrast, it alone isn't enough for me. The HDTV/FX filter might be the thing, but my wallet can't afford the hit.

Let us know how it goes. 

Please tell us more about experience with Ultra Contrast filters! I thought to use them only for better dynamic range and all other stuff like halos, blooming and smoothing do in post.  As so as they are rather expensive i plane to purchase one for soon but not sure which is best for all time use with bmpcc camera. Some people on RED forums calms that its too strong for regular usage, but for me number 1 seems for me more less universal solution for slight but same time visible shadows-highlights improvement. 

Please tell us more about experience with Ultra Contrast filters! I thought to use them only for better dynamic range and all other stuff like halos, blooming and smoothing do in post.  As so as they are rather expensive i plane to purchase one for soon but not sure which is best for all time use with bmpcc camera. Some people on RED forums calms that its too strong for regular usage, but for me number 1 seems for me more less universal solution for slight but same time visible shadows-highlights improvement. 

I think I used a 1 and a 3 and found them both a bit heavy. They lift the shadows but it's similar to shooting log on a camera with a thin codec, you end up with an image that's not much better than the normal image because it's mostly just washing detail out and has worse gradations and tonality once graded back. Big shadow lift, not a huge highlight change. The Alexa has a smooth filter behind the lens (over the sensor) it seems that adds just a very subtle touch. More like glimmer glass.

A lot of commercial and narrative DPs are using heavy diffusion to get a film look. Even on the Alexa.

I'm combining a UC 3 and a 1/4 BMP to shoot some digital plates to sneak into something that's meant to look like the entire thing was shot on 16mm film and in this case the halation and extra flares are a welcome addition. There's a look to 16mm that almost feels HDR because windows and areas of high contrast flash the image a bit. 

This is cool: 

http://www.cinematography.net/edited-pages/digicon-test.htm

Tiffen filter finally came at my house. And this was at ISO 1600. Same camera: T2i. I don't think you can call it a T2i anymore........ Watch the footage even though it was shakey.

MVI_8303.MOV

Not a lot of aliasing and there's a nice look out the window. Seems better than I remember my t2i being at 2500 ISO, less noise and a better texture, I would stick to 800 ISO and lower to get a usable image and that's not too bad. Definitely a step in the right direction, but the shaky camera work isn't doing you any favors. 

I think I used a 1 and a 3 and found them both a bit heavy. They lift the shadows but it's similar to shooting log on a camera with a thin codec, you end up with an image that's not much better than the normal image because it's mostly just washing detail out and has worse gradations and tonality once graded back. Big shadow lift, not a huge highlight change. The Alexa has a smooth filter behind the lens (over the sensor) it seems that adds just a very subtle touch. More like glimmer glass.

Yes DSLR users use those filters for better codec handling but as so as i will use bmpcc raw files my concept will be to lift shadows with a contrast filter and than underexpose camera without crushing those lifted blacks to protect highlights (i saw someone do this trick on youtube with hd video camera and result was pretty nice). did you try this?

to process raw data i also use RPP app which is true 32 bit floating point and has better quality than resolve, so i think that poor gradations and banging is not a problem for this workflow. 

btw i noticed glimmer glass filter too but still don't have time to check the differences from other diffusion-contrast Tiffens