Sony A7 IV

Django

Wasn't a thread started already about this camera?

SAR states:

launch in October (if chip supply permits this)

Newly developed 33MP sensor

5.5 stops of IBIS (+ AS)

I'm thinking Sony will have to implement 4K60p @ 10-bit. That would place it in direct competition with the R6.

Any video specs below that and it's DOA. Anything above and it would cannibalise A7S3 sales.

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, seanzzxx said:

I switched from Sony back to Canon due to owning a lot of EF glass, but there's NO WAY they're releasing a 30p only 4k camera in 2021, right?

Why not?   It will be a still focused camera that CAN shoot 4k (which is all most people buying it will want to know).

Fuji released a 50mp camera that tops out at 1080 30p in 2021 for a LOT more money!

16 hours ago, bjohn said:

The rumour sites (especially SAR) are right about 5% of the time so I wouldn't put much weight on any specs or release schedules. Maybe it'll be released in October, maybe next June; the only people who know aren't saying, and the people who say don't know.

They also try to make a news story out of each specification line to try and milk a cameras release for as many "rumor" stories as possible for ad revenue.

I wouldn't be surprised to see dramatic 60p "leak" in a few weeks.

I could see Sony sticking to 4K30p in order not to cannibalise A7S3 sales (who should have had 6K/8K to begin with). But that would be a mistake facing competition.

Only remaining question is the codec. 10-bit means much more to me than resolution, DR or HFR.

It's gotta have it right because 8.8MP increase for stills isn't going to cut it alone on a 3.5 year update.

For what it's worth...

The 42MP Sony a7R III sells new for $2,800

I would imagine the a7 IV will try to sneak in under the $2,500 cost of the R6.

Knowing Sony, they will probably keep selling the a7 III new for a couple of years.

Sooooo... price-wise the a7 IV would slot in somewhere below the R6, far enough away from the $2,800 cost of the a7R III, yet high enough to allow the a7 III to sell in the $1,700 to $1,800 range???

Who knows what kind of video frame rates and codecs we are going to get then...

I'm looking to upgrade from my A7III - I like a lot of the images i'm seeing from Canon's R5/R6 line.  That said, I may wait till the A7IV comes out as I am not seeing too many upsides of image quality of a7sIII except in low-light.  Any thoughts for a hybrid shooter (documentary, run-and-gun, travel, family events, sporting events - photo/video) upgrading for color, highlight roll-off, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's Coming!

SAR latest rumour:

launch on October 21 (if chip supply permits this)

Newly developed 33MP sensor

15 stops of DR

3.69m dot EVF and LCD is improved too (1.44m dot???)

4k30 video is oversampled from 7K

4k 60p will be oversampled from 4.8k s35 mode and 10bit 4:2:2

4k streaming (and FHD 60p streaming)

5.5 stops of IBIS (+ AS)

Same A7sIII body design and same heatsink system.

Full size HDMi

Fully articulating LCD screen

Improved touchscreen functions

UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress cards

Same new Sony menu system of the A7sIII

I am still not sure about this but price might be around $2,499 or a bit more???

If true, that would mean 4K30/4K60 would be higher quality than A7S3. Well except in low-light and probably much worst rolling shutter. 33MP also would make it a better hybrid. This looks like THE hot camera and worthy successor to A7III.

Sony's in a delicate position. Aside from 4K120p, low-light and RS it's going to be hard to charge that much more for an A7S3 so the cripple hammer may happen on A7IV with 4K60p. On the other hand this camera's direct competitor is going to be R6 that already does non-crop 10-bit 4K60p. But if they manage zero overheat 4K60p, the crop may get overlooked.

2 hours ago, Django said:

Sony's in a delicate position. Aside from 4K120p, low-light and RS it's going to be hard to charge that much more for an A7S3 so the cripple hammer may happen on A7IV with 4K60p. On the other hand this camera's direct competitor is going to be R6 that already does non-crop 10-bit 4K60p. But if they manage zero overheat 4K60p, the crop may get overlooked.

Time limits?

Still no word on some of the finer details like RS, number of AF points and so on. Sony has a dual pixel like AF patent, but I get the feeling that would first surface on the a9III before the pedant cameras get it  

Been wanting a mp bump for awhile along with Sony’s latest AF to replace my a7III. And after using the a7sIII for a year, anything with the old processor and menus feels really slow and old - not to mention the massively upgraded touchscreen capability. Real time tracking is such a big step forward AF-wise. If the 10-bit 422 is legit I’ll be upgrading. 

chris

Toneh "accidentally" leaked his full hands-on review. I saw it before it got taken down. Nothing more on video specs but yeah the AF is pretty much a baby A1. One very welcome new hardware addition is sub-dials for stills, video mode, S&Q and the exposure comp dial is programmable:

247254076_3131643897112576_1456112806133

was about time and an actual hardware upgrade not found on A7SIII !

Rumors were pretty accurate. Seems like a solid upgrade over A7 III and I like what they did to address usability (e.g. foto - video - switch).

But it's 2799 EUR here and at that price point, there are a lot of options, especially when willing to buy used.