Canon EOS R5 overheated in my fridge! After just 60 JPEGs! (4 °C ambient)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nikon colour is very good out of the box, do you mean something that looks more stylistic and cinematic?

I found the photography picture profiles in the Z6 to be fantastic straight out of the box, but the video picture profiles all looked cheap and oversharp, like a Canon Rebel.  Even the neutral and flat profiles looked really bad in video mode.  Z-Log looks amazing when I grade it, but EOS Pro Color on my Sony a7iii looks excellent without grading, so if you have any time to make something like that for Nikon Z-series it would be very appreciated.

Geez. Craziness. I wonder if they'll now release a firmware that "fixes" the problem and lets you at least record to the limits they stated. Still wouldn't be as usable, but they'd get a ton of Youtubers/influencers making update videos: "Canon fixes overheating and now the R5 is an unstoppable BEAST!" and "Why I switched to Sony from Canon and now from Sony back to Canon: overheating crushed!! R5 UNSTOPPABLE?!"

It's like a double-launch. 

YOUR TESTS/CONCLUSIONS ARE SO WRONG...

Guys, the camera has very bad temperature transfer (inside <-> outside). For physics, it doesn't matter if it's cold or warm. Just imagine putting a thermos with hot water in a fridge. Does it feel cold outside? Yes. Is it hot inside? Yes. Same with the Canon. It heats up inside, but the temperature can't get out fast enough. The fridge is cooling the surface faster (only the surface!). That's why it feels cold, but overheating inside.

Also: the temp in JPEG is obviously not the sum of all temperatures, which have to be considered for overheating (CPU, RAM, Sensor, Card temps...). It is most probably only the temp of the sensor, because sensors behave differently at different temps and you have to consider it when processing sensor data.... Putting other temps in EXIF makes no sense... ^^

Put the camera in the fridge for several hours (off) to let the cool temp get inside (again, slow transfer). Then record some 8K. It will go for longer for sure, which disproves all the bs conspiracy theories about internal timers... 

To repeat my analogy. Put a thermos with warm water in a fridge. It feels cold outside, warm inside. Inside the thermos is some kind of heating unit. The water inside will become warmer very fast, but it will still feel cold outside.... HEAT TRANSFER. "SIMPLE" PHYSICS.

Ha!

I so needed the laugh. I didn't think EOSHD would be the one to deliver it 😉

By the way, I remember having overheating issues with Gopros when wifi enabled. So..depending on how the Canon works, might be adding some heat to the situation.

I would like to see a Canon R5 test done in hot conditions.  Maybe it's not the CPU that Canon is trying to protect. I live in southern California and shoot in the desert a lot. I've had problems with my 5Ds when shooting Milky Way images when nighttime temperatures are over 90F.  I have to be careful not to use live view too much or wait to shoot so that the camera can cool down. Otherwise with my 5D Mark II  I would get a lot of color noise at ISO 1600.  Especially in the lower right of the frame.  On my 5D Mark IV I get wierd artifacts that look almost like light leaks.

If Andrew is right with his test (and seems to me so) Canon could solve the problem with a big public Syazai and firing the marketing responsible  of the choice, giving back to us a Monster camera. I think that C series will still sell good,  is a different series with professional codec, different ergonomic and different target. 
I forget, a little bit more thermal pad on the CPU could be a good idea ! 

1 minute ago, OzNimbus said:

Andrew, thanks for having the balls to do this!  You've saved me thousands of dollars and a huge amount of disappointment.   Canon will NOT be getting my money.

Same and I'm gutted to say that as I had such high hopes for this one as my perfect hybrid. A7S III it is I guess. Even Thor's hammer couldn't inflict this level of cripplement.

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The shut down relates to video mode. When you enter video mode, that's when the shutdown occurs. However, it only takes the 1 hour and 60 JPEGs in stills mode for the timer to shut down the camera with an OVERHEATED! message if you attempt to stay in video mode for more than a minute or so.

So basically, as a stills camera it is claiming dangerous temps that prevent any usage in 4K HQ / 8K video mode, even if these features haven't been used at all.

If this 'overheating' behaviour is to be believed. The fridge and 33C internal temp reported seems to suggest otherwise.

I refuse to believe Connot would be THIS underhanded. I'm sure it really IS a true heat problem and NOT a software programmed timer. What programmer would do this in the office, go home at the end of the day and still be able to sleep at night? 

I think the problem is probably with your fridge. There is prolly something wrong with it. Can you test with a freezer instead?

One question Andrew: Have you tried resetting the camera after it says it overheats just to test if this resets the internal overheat timers? Do note though that if this does not reset the times that this could mean that they save the state to non-volatile memory so we as consumers cannot get around the crippled firmware.