Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

Nope, been a bit of a nightmare. First quarterly lost since they started reporting (2001). Image service down the drain. EOS R5 & R6 defective. Coronavirus. What next? If it isn't a wakeup call for them I don't know what is 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two propositions for their new logo.. 😎  

I suspect that in the entire history of cameras, there has never been as much hype, followed by pre-orders, followed by hysteria, followed by cancelled pre-orders...before a camera has actually gone o

DEALBREAKER ALERT. A 15000$ 2020 MAC PRO cannot play back in real time the R5 footage. Does not matter Premiere Pro Resolve, FCPX. Nothing works even 4K30p won’t play in a high end 2020 MacbookPro. 

Posted Images

On 8/2/2020 at 2:20 PM, BTM_Pix said:

The TempStatus pre-dates the R5/R6 and has been part of the Canon firmware for a long time and is there for a reason for that so none of this is new for them in testing so it begs the question why more seemingly wasn't done to test it in simulated real environments.

Covid makes everyone have a bad first QTR.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, gingercat said:

Strange interpretation of what I posted? I'm not defending canon or recommending anyone buy any particular camera. Just pointing out all the hand wringing and complaining is a bit ridiculous when there's so many great products out there to choose from and all you need to do is little research to find something that works for your requirements.

Great products??? Good products maybe, but each with their own flaws.  In regards to fullframe mirrorless, there are trade offs such as cropping, overheating and limitations of features. 

S1H limited by poor AF, A7sIII only 12mp, can overheat, colour is off putting to some. R5 and R6, great specs ruined by lack of reliability.  

Some of my requirements are met by the Pocket cameras, but they have their negatives too, which have been discussed at length.  Why should Canons issues not be discussed, if many like myself were looking forward to buying their new camera because on paper, it would have met our requirements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nope, been a bit of a nightmare. First quarterly lost since they started reporting (2001). Image service down the drain. EOS R5 & R6 defective. Coronavirus. What next? If it isn't a wakeup call for them I don't know what is 🙂

Yeah indeed. But why did they rush? They could have delayed the R5/R6 for another year, giving them more then enough time to solve all problems.
Next year it would still be the only consumer/prosumer 8k camera with internal raw. Now people will just buy the sony/panasonic/etc instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cam1982 said:

Wedding videographer pros have started to use it. Guys with guts. A lot of money for so much uncertainty so far. 

He shot in 1080p 🤣🤣  All that hype of 8K and its basically a usable 1080p camera; just like all the other Canon cameras.  

I'm not sure, is the 1080p line skipped, pixel binned.. I would hate to shoot a Wedding with a 8K camera that was line skipping to 1080p.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

He shot in 1080p 🤣🤣  All that hype of 8K and its basically a usable 1080p camera; just like all the other Canon cameras.  

I'm not sure, is the 1080p line skipped, pixel binned.. I would hate to shoot a Wedding with a 8K camera that was line skipping to 1080p.

Ironically, the 1080p mode might actually be quite decent if they're using the same kind of approach as the 5DS, which used pixel binning to get a ~2.5K image that was downsampled for the final output, and produced arguably the best 1080p image of any of Canon's DSLRs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

He shot in 1080p 🤣🤣  All that hype of 8K and its basically a usable 1080p camera; just like all the other Canon cameras.  

I'm not sure, is the 1080p line skipped, pixel binned.. I would hate to shoot a Wedding with a 8K camera that was line skipping to 1080p.

I could be wrong but 99.9%no one will notice the difrence after 8bit  Youtube compression plus its not like it will be played at theaters ? .

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

He shot in 1080p 🤣🤣  All that hype of 8K and its basically a usable 1080p camera; just like all the other Canon cameras.  

I'm not sure, is the 1080p line skipped, pixel binned.. I would hate to shoot a Wedding with a 8K camera that was line skipping to 1080p.

Well 1080p is all I need anyways, if it looks great. So if the 1080p does not overheat the R5 is back on the table for me. I can allways use the bigger resolutions for special occasions, but honestly for these corporate interview + broll is plenty...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I only shoot 4k so I can punch in, level etc in post, but otherwise export at 1080 and NO ONE has ever asked for a 4k version.

I once made a 4k version and put it on-line, but it was just a massive amount of gb's, so...

But unprofessional to shoot a wedding on an R5 at this time?

Maybe...

I wouldn't, but it's good to have these beta testers out there 🤩

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

I could be wrong but 99.9%no one will notice the difrence after 8bit  Youtube compression plus its not like it will be played at theaters ? .

Missing the point.  If you're shooting 1080p, why all this hype about the R5 and 8K and 120fps 4K.  Ever since the R5 announcement, so many on forums were telling me why I needed 8K.  Apparently even delivering 4K and 1080p, my work would benefit from it, so I was led to believe.  Now the R5 only does reliable 1080p, I bet its back to users saying we don't need 4K and that 1080p is good enough.  I wish people would make their minds up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Missing the point.  If you're shooting 1080p, why all this hype about the R5 and 8K and 120fps 4K.  Ever since the R5 announcement, so many on forums were telling me why I needed 8K.  Apparently even delivering 4K and 1080p, my work would benefit from it, so I was led to believe.  Now the R5 only does reliable 1080p, I bet its back to users saying we don't need 4K and that 1080p is good enough.  I wish people would make their minds up.

I think nobody on here was shouting I need 8K or 12K. I think we had several discussions in the past that even 4K is overkill(def for delivery). Even the holy grail of digital camera's the arri alexa only shoots full hd/2K and a lof of the best looking movies and commercials were shot on that and still are getting shot on that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Well I only shoot 4k so I can punch in, level etc in post, but otherwise export at 1080 and NO ONE has ever asked for a 4k version.

I once made a 4k version and put it on-line, but it was just a massive amount of gb's, so...

But unprofessional to shoot a wedding on an R5 at this time?

Maybe...

I wouldn't, but it's good to have these beta testers out there 🤩

I tend to shoot and edit in 4K and upload short videos in 4K.  The rest is in HD.  For delivery, I give them HD and 4K videos.  I have had some clients ask and book me for 4K.  Plus I offer stills from the video and 4K is a plus for that.  I would never shoot in 1080p now.  My system can handle the file sizes easily and you have more options in post. 

People talk that 8K is future proofing, but that to me is taking it too far.  I happily stick to 4K delivery for my clients to enjoy on their 4K TVs when they have them.

1 minute ago, zerocool22 said:

I think nobody on here was shouting I need 8K or 12K. I think we had several discussions in the past that even 4K is overkill(def for delivery)

I did have one discussion here about 8K, where having said, I didn't need it; someone on this forum gave a detailed list as to why I would benefit from it.  This was when everyone was drooling over the R5 and justifying its insane specs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I did have one discussion here about 8K, where having said, I didn't need it; someone on this forum gave a detailed list as to why I would benefit from it.  This was when everyone was drooling over the R5 and justifying its insane specs.

Well even at 1080p the R5 is possibly the best mirrorless camera out there if it does not overheat and you dont need 4K. There are a lot more important factors (DR, color, ...) to camera then resolution (for me its the least important, well it needs to be good 1080p though).   But time will tell, too soon to jump on the R5 wagon as it might derail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...