Jump to content

Sony A7S II successor 9m dot 4K native EVF panel?


Andrew Reid

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-confirmed-spec-sony-a7sii-successor-has-a-new-9-44-million-dot-evf/

Apparently not even a rumour, he's seen the proof.

I am ready for the $6000 price tag :)

Whoa. That's over 4k resolution on a tiny EVF. I wonder what the refresh rate would be?

Edit: I saw that its dots, not pixels. 4 dors pake for a single pixel. So yeah, much lesser but still almost double of what's presently in the best ILC EVFs available right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Whoa. That's over 4k resolution on a tiny EVF. I wonder what the refresh rate would be?

Edit: I saw that its dots, not pixels. 4 dors pake for a single pixel. So yeah, much lesser but still almost double of what's presently in the best ILC EVFs available right now. 

I think Sony EVFs are using RGB now. The 5.76 million dot EVF on the S1 (which I love) works this way so this new one is maybe 2160x1440. Either way it's pretty impressive! The current 5.76 one has a refresh up to 240fps but the only (I think!?!?!) cameras that use it (S1 and A7rIV) go up to 120.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

I think Sony EVFs are using RGB now. The 5.76 million dot EVF on the S1 (which I love) works this way so this new one is maybe 2160x1440. Either way it's pretty impressive! The current 5.76 one has a refresh up to 240fps but the only (I think!?!?!) cameras that use it (S1 and A7rIV) go up to 120.

Interesting. I am wondering whether larger LCD would have been a better idea. Or using that money for mini XLR and better heat management, and cost cutting perhaps. Since the new sensor and redesigned body for the 10-bit video is going to already push the costs substantially. Plus the new sensor, and 9ther features. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be unfortunate if the best image the camera produces is the image on the EVF!
If Andrew is correct about the 6k cost then the Komodo will creep into the frame for a lot of potential purchasers. 
It’s going to be quite a month - R5, Sony ?, more Komodo footage...   none of which will actually improve anyone’s creativity and imagination...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sanveer said:

Interesting. I am wondering whether larger LCD would have been a better idea. Or using that money for mini XLR and better heat management, and cost cutting perhaps. Since the new sensor and redesigned body for the 10-bit video is going to already push the costs substantially. Plus the new sensor, and 9ther features. 

This! I'd love mini XLRs and not need adaptors hanging off the camera. I guess it's always the compromise between hybrids and dedicated video cams.

 

Personally I love having a good EVF although that's probably partly down to becoming long-sighted as I get older and it being a pain to use an LCD!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about the Sony, but on the GH5 the focus peaking is only calculated on the screen/EVF resolution, not on the full-resolution image being filmed.  I've found this a real limitation and one of the reasons that MF is easier with the EVF than the screen, as it has a higher resolution than the screen.

I never thought about it before, but in that sense, extra resolution is useful for MF.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...