Jump to content

Sony A7S III / rumours


Recommended Posts

On 7/30/2020 at 10:06 AM, Inazuma said:

Some comparison vids starting to come out. The Canon has great¬†IBIS whilst walking, im really impressed. It also to my taste has better colour but I would say the Sony is much closer than before. I mean at least sky is blue instead of teal now. I think the skin would only need minor adjustments compared to before. Personally I'm still a little bit traumatised from my time with the Panasonic GX7 and G85 which had really big issues with blotchy skin that wasn't easy to fix, so nearly anything is a huge improvement to me ūüėõ¬†

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgcp8wXAUZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC39Z6vZgHw

image.thumb.png.f7ad6a1274feb5db769bf4906f7da619.png

image.thumb.png.76a587ce944b1812ae57e64f7256c0c0.png

image.thumb.png.93e5e559abc84bcce8d5a4b5ae58058c.png

 

We have already seen some AB tests of the a7s and R6. The colours aren't THAT different. I think you're all kidding yourselves when you say it has a colour problem. I am unbiased as I don't own or intend to  own either cams or anything like them.  If you're not seeing good colour from a7s videos then it is the fault of the colour grader. And  "thick colour" is the same nonsense as what photographers call "3d pop".  You're just reaching for terminology to reinforce/shill your idea. It's possible to see thick colour as you're grading a file but not just based off seeing the final product. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could literally post a frame from R5 or Arri Alexa, say it's a Sony A7siii frame and someone would say the color isnt that good and that something is wrong with the skin tones.

These recent camera releases have resulted in a significant amount of velocity  and trolling right across the web.  Every camera is good these days. Every single one. Nor is a single one of them

Some tests and a review from Brandon Li. Chris  

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

If you're not seeing good colour from a7s videos then it is the fault of the colour grader. And  "thick colour" is the same nonsense as what photographers call "3d pop".  You're just reaching for terminology to reinforce/shill your idea. 

Nailed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sev7en said:

Question by newbie... can be a solution also for still picture?

I think only as moving stills taken from footage sequence - but F6 is effective 26MP FF camera with open gate of pretty huge 6064x4040 usable with 10bit value internal recording.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

We have already seen some AB tests of the a7s and R6. The colours aren't THAT different. I think you're all kidding yourselves when you say it has a colour problem. I am unbiased as I don't own or intend to  own either cams or anything like them.  If you're not seeing good colour from a7s videos then it is the fault of the colour grader. And  "thick colour" is the same nonsense as what photographers call "3d pop".  You're just reaching for terminology to reinforce/shill your idea. It's possible to see thick colour as you're grading a file but not just based off seeing the final product. 

Yes that might be true, but the people shooting with these cameras are not hollywood level colorists, so an good colour science straight out of a cam is important for most users. A lot of shooters just drag and drop luts on their footage, hence the shitty footage of the a7s iii online atm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

 

Yes that might be true, but the people shooting with these cameras are not hollywood level colorists, so an good colour science straight out of a cam is important for most users. A lot of shooters just drag and drop luts on their footage, hence the shitty footage of the a7s iii online atm.

Exactly, when you work from a solid base it is much easier for the average user to get it right. That's what people don't understand, not everyone are hollywood level colorist. That is why you see so many criticism about skin tone etc. even from supposed professional shooters. I mean those you-tube influences are supposed to be above average shooters. And that is why you should not single out that one very nice video or shooter, because are you as good as him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

It also to my taste has better colour... The colours aren't THAT different... And  "thick colour" is the same nonsense as what photographers call "3d pop".  You're just reaching for terminology to reinforce/shill your idea. 

What if someone simply defines differently phrase "It also to my taste has better colour" - as "thicker" or "3d pop"?

(BTW and for example - that first example with lovely¬†geese looks to me THAT different... but I admit that not so rarely¬† I see/express nonsense ūüôā¬†

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Inazuma said:

We have already seen some AB tests of the a7s and R6. The colours aren't THAT different. I think you're all kidding yourselves when you say it has a colour problem. I am unbiased as I don't own or intend to  own either cams or anything like them.  If you're not seeing good colour from a7s videos then it is the fault of the colour grader. And  "thick colour" is the same nonsense as what photographers call "3d pop".  You're just reaching for terminology to reinforce/shill your idea. It's possible to see thick colour as you're grading a file but not just based off seeing the final product. 

So then when people talk about arri colors or red colors. That's all shill is it? There is nothing cinematic about those images? There is nothing cinematic about the old ccd raw cameras like the digital bolex? - that's shill too if I say that I prefer the bolex image to the sterile image of a sony?

You won't get one mirrorless camera that even gets close to the look of something like an arri. 

Over-sharpened, bad skin tones, terrible under mixed lighting. 

If we take your statement to its logical conclusion you would have to agree that there is no difference between the image of a a7siii and a7iii. That I can agree with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

Exactly, when you work from a solid base it is much easier for the average user to get it right. That's what people don't understand, not everyone are hollywood level colorist. That is why you see so many criticism about skin tone etc. even from supposed professional shooters. I mean those you-tube influences are supposed to be above average shooters. And that is why you should not single out that one very nice video or shooter, because are you as good as him?

+ even if hollywood graders are able to turn it into something beautifull, it will take them a lot more time then grading something from arri. Time is money as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for fun, I took the side-by-side video clip from both cameras and did a little tweaking to get them a bit closer to each other. (See below)

There's some truth to Canon's ability to produce a more pleasing look right out of camera but both cameras can certainly be adjusted to match. I have used Andrew's Pro Color adjustments in the A7III to produce "Canon Color" directly out of the camera by tweaking settings in-camera. That is one feature of Sony cameras that are often overlooked. You can tweak profiles to the nth degree. In current Sony mirrorless cameras however you can only do so much tweaking due to dynamic range limitations and 8-bit codecs.

Where the differences typically exist between these consumer cameras and production cinema cameras boils down to dynamic range and how many stops of light you have available in the highlights and shadows.

I am quite confident that the new A7SIII can be tweaked in-camera to produce many different "looks" straight out of camera and with better dynamic range and a 10-bit codec.

a7s3-r5 side-by-side.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ajay said:

Just for fun, I took the side-by-side video clip from both cameras and did a little tweaking to get them a bit closer to each other. (See below)

There's some truth to Canon's ability to produce a more pleasing look right out of camera but both cameras can certainly be adjusted to match. I have used Andrew's Pro Color adjustments in the A7III to produce "Canon Color" directly out of the camera by tweaking settings in-camera. That is one feature of Sony cameras that are often overlooked. You can tweak profiles to the nth degree. In current Sony mirrorless cameras however you can only do so much tweaking due to dynamic range limitations and 8-bit codecs.

Where the differences typically exist between these consumer cameras and production cinema cameras boils down to dynamic range and how many stops of light you have available in the highlights and shadows.

I am quite confident that the new A7SIII can be tweaked in-camera to produce many different "looks" straight out of camera and with better dynamic range and a 10-bit codec.

a7s3-r5 side-by-side.jpg

These configurations fall apart in mixed lighting etc. 

There is a reason why Sony intentionally don't give s cinetone and Venice color. They want you to pay more for privilege of decent looking color. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I can't find the answer to the following and that is does the new Sony allow for dual slot recording in camera?

I know the XT4 does (but my XT3 photo only) but ideally my next camera will be able to write internally both photo and video to 2 cards.

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I can't find the answer to the following and that is does the new Sony allow for dual slot recording in camera?

I know the XT4 does (but my XT3 photo only) but ideally my next camera will be able to write internally both photo and video to 2 cards.

Cheers

Yes, it does. Not sure about photos but Phillip Bloom has stated that it can record video to both cards simultaneously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Ah well if it can do video, it surely must be able to do photos as dual video writing to cards is less rare?

I'll check with the Catmeister...

I assume the same but you know what they say about "ass-u-me"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Ah well if it can do video, it surely must be able to do photos as dual video writing to cards is less rare?

I'll check with the Catmeister...

Pretty sure all the dual card Sony's write photos to both cards at the same time. The a73 and a7r3 do and both of those got stuck with a cheap UHS-I slot, I'm sure the s3 will write to both. Sony needs to get off their arse and publish the full spec sheet instead of the overview we have now.

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Inazuma said:

We have already seen some AB tests of the a7s and R6. The colours aren't THAT different. I think you're all kidding yourselves when you say it has a colour problem. I am unbiased as I don't own or intend to  own either cams or anything like them.  If you're not seeing good colour from a7s videos then it is the fault of the colour grader. And  "thick colour" is the same nonsense as what photographers call "3d pop".  You're just reaching for terminology to reinforce/shill your idea. It's possible to see thick colour as you're grading a file but not just based off seeing the final product. 

I would hope someone could get Sony color close to Canon in a A-B test.  My iPhone can do that. Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...