Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Sony and Canon marketing teams in Europe are taking the piss

It is not just higher taxes, but various extra red tape / safety regulations / consumer protections / higher costs / trade protectionism / etc in Europe that all add up to resulting in higher prices for goods, "a death by a thousand cuts". 

If you don't like it, then either move, or vote for better politicians who'll make life more business friendly in your country. 

56 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Same with the Canon R5 $3800 in the U.S and about $5500 in the UK

To compare Panasonic S1H is $4000 in the U.S. and about $4700 in the UK 

Sony and Canon marketing teams in Europe are taking the piss

It's another reason why at this point in time, I could not justify either.

I think the overheating issue in both would 'probably' be less of an issue for my use than for some others, but the jury is still out on that one.

But over the last couple of days when I have been considering various future options, cost reared it's head again and I'm looking at 2 bodies with 2 lenses minimum and calculating 10k+ euros...and immediately coming to the conclusion, waaaaay more than I can comfortably spend early next year.

And then I look at the price of the metabones speedbooster for ef lenses for my XT3's and do some maths and whilst $649 or whatever they cost seems high, actually when it's a pair plus a couple of decent f2.8 zoom lenses, I'm looking at more like 3k euros max.

Coming round to the A7Siii though as a strong contender...but the cost of investing in a new system...

32 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It is not just higher taxes, but various extra red tape / safety regulations / consumer protections / higher costs / trade protectionism / etc in Europe that all add up to resulting in higher prices for goods, "a death by a thousand cuts". 

If you don't like it, then either move, or vote for better politicians who'll make life more business friendly in your country. 

Believe me I don't vote for the fuckers who are in at the moment but that still doesn't explain why Canon and Sony hike their European prices up way more than Panasonic for example

28 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Odd that it doesn't apply to all cameras and equipment.  Just checking the Pocket 6K price in the UK and America and once you apply pound to dollar, the difference is about $500.  I'm not convinced its the red tape and the other items you mentioned thats putting up the price.  

Just as I don't feel that voting for better politicians is the answer.  In the UK, there is no such thing as a better Politician and even a change of Government wouldn't lead to big changes to the way Businesses work.  

A much better way is to vote with my money and not buy the goods at such inflated prices.  It seems only this new Sony and Canon have suffered from this.  Perhaps being new and maybe because Covid has led to price increases out of proportion.  It could be prices will reduce considerably by next year.  Hard luck for the early adopters 

24 minutes ago, Nezza said:

The grey market is your friend! Bypass all the unjustified costs, you save thousands on a whole system, plus somewhere like panamoz you get a 3 year warranty. I've no qualms buying grey and have done for years. 

2nd hand is even better, let the early adopters be the beta testers and wait for the camera to have all its quirks sorted before buying is my usual philosophy.

Although I have bought from Panamoz before with no issues (so never got to test their 3 year warranty claim, be interested to hear if they do honour it properly)

28 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Believe me I don't vote for the fuckers who are in at the moment but that still doesn't explain why Canon and Sony hike their European prices up way more than Panasonic for example

At least you have great healthcare, paid vacations and not have to be embedded for life to have some quality education LOL. But in this case they are sure exagerating for those prices and it is Canon and Sony who are to blame.

58 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Cue the shill comments LOL!

Why the hostility towards PB? 
As far as I can tell (my camera won’t be delivered until September) he presents a reasonable and balanced opinion. And he states it is an opinion, that he was paid for the two short films and on no account should one buy an A7Siii based on his review....
He certainly isn’t a “shill”. 

21 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

As far as I can tell (my camera won’t be delivered until September) he presents a reasonable and balanced opinion. And he states it is an opinion, that he was paid for the two short films and on no account should one buy an A7Siii based on his review....

Because jealousy.

I’m certainly going to take the word of an accomplished cameraman like Bloom over a bunch of trolls. He’s been shooting longer then a lot of posters have probably been alive 😂

You can dislike his grading or whatever but to say he isn’t talented or that he is biased is a joke. 

38 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

First I have the camera on order.

Don't get so defensive, its a joke - hence the "LOL!" No hate or jealousy, every damn review gets shill comments. Its become the thing if you don't agree with their conclusions - like the silly banging about color science or filmic, or cinematic - you know things that can't actually be quantified. Its a great review and I like Bloom because he's so through in his testing. There's nothing in there that makes me want to cancel my order and it mostly just gets me more excited to start shooting with it.

Chris

12 minutes ago, Logan said:

Because jealousy.

I’m certainly going to take the word of an accomplished cameraman like Bloom over a bunch of trolls. He’s been shooting longer then a lot of posters have probably been alive 😂

You can dislike his grading or whatever but to say he isn’t talented or that he is biased is a joke. 

Never said anything about his talent, I said grab a coffee because its 75 minutes long. And the shill comment was a joke, guess the LOL part wasn't clear. Where do people come up with this stuff?

10 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

every damn review gets shill comments

My error - I thought you meant PB was about to make shill comments. You are correct, the comments others will make will definitely fall into that category.
The wider community needs the likes of PB to do this type of stuff. I think it’s entertaining, informative and useful. 
I wonder whether Sony will address the issues he raises? 

14 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

My error - I thought you meant PB was about to make shill comments. You are correct, the comments others will make will definitely fall into that category.
The wider community needs the likes of PB to do this type of stuff. I think it’s entertaining, informative and useful. 
I wonder whether Sony will address the issues he raises? 

All good.

A lot of his concerns could be addressed with a FW update. I do hope more of the touchscreen functionality with an external monitor and  eye-animal video AF becomes a reality. Very glad to see there's no AF limitations with a monitor or recorder though as I plan to use the Ninja V a lot. They could take care of the NR as well and just give us the option to turn it off. But it looks like the workaround is just to record high ISO externally for now.

I have far less overheating concerns with the a7s3 compared to the R5, and his test makes me feel even better. It does overheat, but it really need to be pushed and it still can recover very quickly unlike the Canon. For the way I shoot I don't have any concerns - especially since its use for me as a stills camera will be very limited. But that face/eye tracking when people walk behind trees and such is awesome. It really sticks to your subject well.

Chris

Both Undone and Bloom are the best IMO. I always look forward to their reviews. I did learn a few new tidbits from Bloom's review of the A7SIII that are important to my style of work (wildlife):

• Animal eye detect autofocus does not work in video (stills only). Philip has started a petition on this, here's the link if you want to sign this.
  • Tracking autofocus does not work while using Clear Image Zoom.
  • Tracking autofocus does not work while using an external monitor.
  • Punch-in does not work (manual focus) while recording.
  • Clear image zoom works to 1.5x.

Lot's of positives with the A7SIII but there are negatives too. I wish this camera had Canon's autofocus capabilities. With that stated, I'd much rather deal with these issues than a camera that can't recover from overheating until hours later, has line skipping in 120p 4k and humongous file sizes.

Say what you will about Phillip Bloom but I found his hour plus piece on the A7SIII to be quite enjoyable. Well enjoyed over a cup of fine coffee as I did. I do take his review for what it’s worth as again he is paid and he does have access to nice and expensive Sony glass (of which I do not). For those of us who casually shoot and can’t afford the $3500 body, surely there will be a trickle down of some of these features to the a6XXX line at some point right?

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

First I have the camera on order.

Don't get so defensive, its a joke - hence the "LOL!" No hate or jealousy, every damn review gets shill comments. Its become the thing if you don't agree with their conclusions - like the silly banging about color science or filmic, or cinematic - you know things that can't actually be quantified. Its a great review and I like Bloom because he's so through in his testing. There's nothing in there that makes me want to cancel my order and it mostly just gets me more excited to start shooting with it.

Chris

Never said anything about his talent, I said grab a coffee because its 75 minutes long. And the shill comment was a joke, guess the LOL part wasn't clear. Where do people come up with this stuff?

I was talking about in context of all the PB hate. I read your post as it was intended, so you did no wrong 🙂