Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Let the rumours begin :)

https://www.eoshd.com/2020/01/fuji-x-t4-rumoured-to-shoot-6k-60p-with-anamorphic-mode-ibis-the-x-h2-we-dreamed-of/

- Potentially 6K/60p 10bit
- Anamorphic mode
- Fully articulated screen like S1H
- IBIS
- Represents merging of X-H1 and X-T3 line
- Basically an X-H2
- LCD top panel
- Bigger grip and more rugged body like X-H1
- All new battery type

The “X-H2” we always dreamed of?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

- Basically an X-H2

I was expecting the X-Hx range would get dropped, and likely the X-H1 would have been the only one ever. 

And the top two features I wanted brought over is: IBIS and the top LCD screen. 

Glad to see the X-T4 will have both!

A flip out screen is fantastic too, this will be the best ever vlogging camera??

According to Fuji Addict, there were not one, not two but THREE Fuji cameras in the top 5 at Map camera store in Japan over the important Christmas period – the X-Pro3 at number 1, the X-T30 in 4th and X-T3 in 5th. (Nice to note the presence at 7th of the Sigma Fp… well done Sigma!)

Am pleased to see Nikon Z50 in #2 spot! Bodes will for the Z Mount future. 

Canon meanwhile is missing completely from the top 10 :-o 

No Panasonic either in the top 10 :-/ 😞

No DSLRs either... that's odd. 

Also according to Fuji Addict there is an X-T200 on the way, essentially a X-A7 with the same 4K video from full pixel readout, but an added EVF and not much more expensive.

Just like the X-T30 gave us much of the quality of the X-T3 but at a lower price, fingers crossed the X-T200 gives us much of the X-T30 video quality but at a yet even lower price! 

image.png.3ed6e686723c6401e05298e46a41e92c.png

I am not always chasing the next great latest thing, but when my wedding season finished last October, I sold pretty much all my kit in anticipation of Fuji bringing out something like this for the 2020 season.

I shot XT3 for video last year and XH1 for video the year prior and kept a single XT3 body which should now move to backup and personal/travel camera with the 16-80 zoom.

The plan is also to move over fully to the f2 primes for their compact size, weight and af speed.

Happy days, please don’t cock it up Fuji.

All I want for Easter is 4K 60P and IBIS, Eterna & Classic Neg. I am not so bothered about battery life though would welcome it and do not care about 6k at all, but 100/120P 4K with audio capture would be appreciated!

Otherwise pre-ordering a pair.

Nikon Z6 and Panny S1 came closest to my XT3’s but neither could replace.

7 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

The plan is also to move over fully to the f2 primes for their compact size, weight and af speed.

Won't you want to at least keep your 16-80 zoom if you're doing a lot of weddings? As I find weddings to be at times very fast paced, you need a good range zoom now and then!

@IronFilm yep, will keep the zoom as my ‘bookend’ lens in that as a ‘hybrid shooter’, I tend to need a wide for landscape/venue stills at the start of the day and then wide angle for video for dancing at the end. Only F4 but a lot of stops of OIS!

Otherwise 23, 35, 50 and 90mm f2’s.

I have had the 23 and 90 before and they were great.

Tinkered with a few ‘perfect set ups’ for the last few years but it always kept coming back to XT3 spec in an XH1 body which of course does not exist.

Hopefully, this XT4 will be that perfect (for me) amalgamation and hybrid camera.

X-T3 is already great for "normal" shoots but for better green screen work I'll take the 10bit HEVC long-GOP 6k24p 420 and 4k60p10bit 422 internally and a launch price of around $1500. I think the data rate should play well with a v90 UHS-II.

In terms of a good key, the 4k RAW of BMPCC4K should tie with a 10bit 420 6k image.

Oh and the faster processing should also help make autofocus on adapted lenses better. The EF-FX2 already does a decent job on current gen cameras.

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

- Potentially 6K/60p 10bit
- Anamorphic mode
- Fully articulated screen like S1H
- IBIS
- Basically an X-H2
- LCD top panel
- Bigger grip and more rugged body like X-H1
- All new battery type

Sounds really good. I am eagerly waiting for X-T4 announcement.

Viltrox 1.4 primes are coming on time as well. 

Will get a 350$ Fringer adapter for my Sigma 18-35 as a main lens probably. AFC works very good on XT-3 with it already. 

23 minutes ago, Eno said:

"And take the 6K/60p with an 8K sized pinch of salt. It seems like an awful lot of data to record onto SD card to me!"

The fastest current SD cards can write more than 250MB/sec or 2000 Mb/sec of data, that's plenty enough even for 8K 60p in a compressed codec.

What he meant was, that you should take this rumor, especially 6K/60p with a huge grain of salt. 8K sized pinch of salt = huge grain of salt ;)

The sensor doesn't have enough pixels to do 8K. Personally I think that we won't get the LCD top panel or an articulated screen either

• Administrators
7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am pleased to see Nikon Z50 in #2 spot! Bodes will for the Z Mount future. 

Canon meanwhile is missing completely from the top 10 😮

No Panasonic either in the top 10 😕 😞

No DSLRs either... that's odd.

Here is the original article (Japanese, Google translated) about the Map camera December 2019 sales chart:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fdc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2Fnews%2F1230015.html

It ranks the most popular USED cameras as well:

1st place: Sony α7R III 
2nd place: Sony α7 III 
3rd place: Sony α7 II 
4th: Sony α7R II 
5th place: Nikon D500 
6th: Fujifilm X-T3 
7th place: Sony α6400 
8th: Canon EOS 7D Mark II 
9th place: Nikon D750 
10th place: Nikon Z 6

Only one Canon in the top 10 used!!

3 hours ago, Eno said:

The fastest current SD cards can write more than 250MB/sec or 2000 Mb/sec of data, that's plenty enough even for 8K 60p in a compressed codec.

These are peak write speeds, not sustained. The V90 UHS-II card standard means cards do around 120MB/s guaranteed sustained write speeds. I think 6K/60p at decent bitrates would be a bit of a struggle. XQD might be needed.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Will get a 350$ Fringer adapter for my Sigma 18-35 as a main lens probably. AFC works very good on XT-3 with it already. 

Fringer adapter works well, I have that one. Review of it soon. The Kipon adapter has had a firmware update though so need to see if AF has improved on that too. They do a Baveyes (their Speed Booster) with AF, whereas Fringer don't yet.

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Top used cameras is an interesting chart, as it both illustrates owners getting rid of cameras, and users wanting cameras!

Not sure how to read anything into that??

People really want to get rid of Sony? :)

Or maybe it hints at Sony's great sales success of last few years.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Top used cameras is an interesting chart, as it both illustrates owners getting rid of cameras, and users wanting cameras!

Not sure how to read anything into that??

I like to think that Sony has trained its customers into always needing the newest and latest tech, so they are constantly upgrading and selling every 6-12 months. Whereas Canon and Fuji users seem to use their cameras more specifically for the joy in using them. But, I'm not a Sony fan at all, so my bias is really showing through here. 

---

As stated on another thread, all of these specs would be very welcome in a small FS5-ish style cinema camera from Fuji. 

But as long as this has
1. IBIS
2. A much better battery - at least double the record time as the previous model
3. AF improvements to bring it close to Canon and Sony

I think it will be a big hit.

I'd love to add in 10-bit 422 instead of 10-bit 420, 4k in 120fps, and ProRes Raw out via the HDMI. But those would all be icing. 

16 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

I like to think that Sony has trained its customers into always needing the newest and latest tech, so they are constantly upgrading and selling every 6-12 months.

While Sony had been aggressive in their marketing, I don't really think it is accurate to say "upgrading and selling every 6-12 months." If so, we would be on the a7S V by now.

Yes, there was a case when the a6500 was released about 8 months after the a6300, but that was - as far as I understand - due to the release of the a6300 release being pushed back because of flooding at the factories in Thailand. 

Also in that instance, the a6500 was not an update or a replacement, but viewed by Sony as a higher end model than the a6300. So unlike how the a7 II was and update of the a7, and the a7 III was an update of the a7 II, the a6500 was meant to sell at a higher price point than the a6300 and for both lines to sell continuously at different price tiers.

I think a lot of the confusion comes from Sony keeping their older cameras around for a long time. For instance, a6000, a6300, and a6500 are all still for sale, despite the release of the a6100, a6400 and a6600.

But yes, it was the plan of Sony to be a "disruptor" because Canon and Nikon were so entrenched as the market leaders - and because Sony A Mount sales were so bad - that they had to be innovative and productive in their camera releases.

BTW: In case ANYONE is wondering, no, I am not advocating Sony cameras (or ANY brand of camera) to anyone.  I have a hard enough time trying to figure out which camera is right for ME, let alone someone else :)