Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

I had a look at the images of the toy ferrari posted by @Lars Steenhoff . If I bring the 4K DNG and the "none" Mpeg4 mov into Resolve, it actually seems that the mov needs to be treated as Rec709 gamut - not Rec2020 - to fall in line with the way the DNG is being interpreted by the Resolve ACES IDT (unless the DNG metadata is wrong). I would need to check with the exact same frame though, but I'm basing that off the way the red was interpreted.

I'm also seeing the following tags in the mov metadata, but that doesn't mean the actual image doesn't have different primaries.

Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics           : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                    : BT.709

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello:  I'm considering the Sigma FP for cinema work (just a hobbyist; also considering the Pocket 4K and 6K).  Among other things, I'm concerned about whether my computer can handle it.  Could others that are processing 12 bit cDNG files tell me how performance is with Resolve and what your computer specs are?  Thanks!

On 7/25/2020 at 8:50 AM, Electro said:

Hello:  I'm considering the Sigma FP for cinema work (just a hobbyist; also considering the Pocket 4K and 6K).  Among other things, I'm concerned about whether my computer can handle it.  Could others that are processing 12 bit cDNG files tell me how performance is with Resolve and what your computer specs are?  Thanks!

You might consider getting a Blackmagic Video Assist to record Braw from the FP instead of buying a new computer and lots of storage for the cDNG files. All 3 cameras will record Braw. My 2014 fully specced Macbook Pro handles Braw fine in Resolve. Of course you won't need the Video Assist for the BMPCCs.

7 hours ago, alanpoiuyt said:

You might consider getting a Blackmagic Video Assist to record Braw from the FP instead of buying a new computer and lots of storage for the cDNG files. 

Not necessarily. cDNG is also quite light on the computer. If file sizes are a concern, you can use the program SlimRaw to internally compress the DNG in the same compression ratios as BRAW.

3 hours ago, rawshooter said:

Not necessarily. cDNG is also quite light on the computer. If file sizes are a concern, you can use the program SlimRaw to internally compress the DNG in the same compression ratios as BRAW.

I have shot using the Sigma fp with both BRAW and cDNG. In Resolve there is no difference whatsoever in ease of editing. And Slimraw reduces the cDNG files by about 60% on average.

2 hours ago, markr041 said:

I have shot using the Sigma fp with both BRAW and cDNG. In Resolve there is no difference whatsoever in ease of editing. And Slimraw reduces the cDNG files by about 60% on average.

Thanks guys for clarifying my comment by using Slimraw. Just curious - how long does it take to transcode say a 1GB cDNG file to 8:1?

2 hours ago, alanpoiuyt said:

Thanks guys for clarifying my comment by using Slimraw. Just curious - how long does it take to transcode say a 1GB cDNG file to 8:1?

No longer than offloading it. You can basically use Slimraw as an offloading tool  to copy and simultaneously compress your footage from the SD card to your computer's hard drive.

Thanks for the responses.  I'm also concerned with the resampling from 6K to 4K.  I know that is not optimal, but how much of an issue is it in real world situations?  I have the original pocket and the fact that the sensor is 1920 x 1080 and it shoots 1920 x 1080 makes for a remarkably clean image.  The Pocket 4K and Pocket 6K have this "feature", but the bloated size of the new pockets (compared to the original) is a major issue for me.  The FP's form factor is great and the full frame sensor is not such a bad thing.  However, I'm interested in FP owners' comments on how the 6K to 4K resampling affects image quality in a real world sense (I know this is subjective, but still interested in everyone's thoughts).  Any comparison to the pocket 4K or 6K would be useful as well.  Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Electro said:

Thanks for the responses.  I'm also concerned with the resampling from 6K to 4K.  I know that is not optimal, but how much of an issue is it in real world situations?  I have the original pocket and the fact that the sensor is 1920 x 1080 and it shoots 1920 x 1080 makes for a remarkably clean image.  The Pocket 4K and Pocket 6K have this "feature", but the bloated size of the new pockets (compared to the original) is a major issue for me.  The FP's form factor is great and the full frame sensor is not such a bad thing.  However, I'm interested in FP owners' comments on how the 6K to 4K resampling affects image quality in a real world sense (I know this is subjective, but still interested in everyone's thoughts).  Any comparison to the pocket 4K or 6K would be useful as well.  Thanks in advance!

The FP image is super clean. However there are the usual aliasing issues you get with pixel binning and line skipping. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 12:58 AM, thebrothersthre3 said:

The FP image is super clean. However there are the usual aliasing issues you get with pixel binning and line skipping. 

But, remember, there is also crop mode. This is simply a 1:1 crop (1.5X), so no pixel binning. Still 4K. This gives you approximately the APS-C (Super35mm) look, same as the BMPCC 6K in terms of FOV.

Beta firmware for the Ninja V is now available for recording 12bit ProRes RAW to the Ninja V via HDMI from the Sigma fp. This enables 4KDCI  24p, 4K UHD up to 30p, and FullHD 120p. Other than the DCI 24p, all of this can be done internally in the camera in true 12bit DNG RAW.

has anyone had any success syncing or jamming time code? I'm trying to set the timecode to be the same between a sound devices mix pre 3ii and the Sigma FP. The Sound Devices has a Timecode in via HDMI and the Sigma FP has HDMI out so it seems that I should be able to make it happen, but it doesn't seem to work. Additionally, supposedly the Sigma FP can read Timecode from the mic input and I am also so far unsuccessful at this. Hoping their is a way to get decent sync without buying a tentacle set up or the like. 

On 8/13/2020 at 5:01 PM, markr041 said:

But, remember, there is also crop mode. This is simply a 1:1 crop (1.5X), so no pixel binning. Still 4K. This gives you approximately the APS-C (Super35mm) look, same as the BMPCC 6K in terms of FOV.

Hey guys!

Is S35 FULLHD 60p or 120p a full readout too? with no artifacts like aliasing or moiré?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, dia3olik said:

Hey guys!

Is S35 FULLHD 60p or 120p a full readout too? with no artifacts like aliasing or moiré?

Thanks!

No, FHD is not a full readout. In my experience it has visible aliasing and moiré, both in S35 crop and Full Frame.

This was one of my first tests, FHD internal, although it is mostly 24p and higher framerates are probably worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPKwcveDwVs

• Andrew Reid unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up an amazing deal of the FP. So far, I'm having a lot of fun with it, but have a couple questions...and probably some more as time goes on. Any help is appreciated!

Can I set Aperture Priority for stills and Manual for Cine? It seems the settings in one are also the settings for the other.

Can I pull off, and later reattach the flaps over the ports on the left hand side?

Is 'Off' the optimal color setting for shooting raw video? Does it even matter for raw?

If shooting to an SD card, is it best to shoot FHD 12bit or UHD 8bit? 

4 Rephrased.

Does FHD 12bit introduce issues with the downscaling that out weight the color depth loss in UHD 8bit.

3. Is 'Off' the optimal color setting for shooting raw video? Does it even matter for raw?

I would say it isn't. OFF changes the color matrix in the DNG to sRGB while all other modes retain the camera native RGB color space. The other color modes have no effect of any kind in raw but OFF changes the DNG metadata which then affects the color in Resolve, for example.

• Andrew Reid changed the title to Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW
  • Andrew Reid pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...