Sigma Fp review and interview / Cinema DNG RAW

Andrew Reid

On 6/4/2020 at 2:10 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Can confirm this is a bug on mine too. Did you ever find a fix?

It happens to me no matter what video mode or settings are used.

Reminds me of the similar issue on the Nikon Z6 which has a similar sensor!

Indeed, Z6 and  Z7  have a similar problem. Indirect bad sign for Sigma issue is that they have it even on firmware 3.0. Looks like it is impossible to fix or Nikon just doesn't care.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The Sigma Fp videos above are not really examples of it, don't really show it.

You can only see if it you try and make a flat profile, dial standard down -5 and raise the bottom of the custom curve up to reveal more shadow detail. Then shoot a scene inside with a lot of dark objects like camera bodies in it and you can see it. When you push the shadows down only slightly, adding more contrast, it disappears.

Probably why it is more noticeable in N-LOG than with a flat profile on Z6.

I will assume Sigma read this thread!

>>LEAF SHUTTER LENS!, come on sigma!

The FP is useless for flash photography (and artificial light) without a mechanical shutter. Leaf shutter lens allow syncing flash at a higher speed than can focal plane. Normal territory of medium format. Time to compete with Hasselblad X1D! Sigma know how to make superb leaf shutter lens in the DP series. Make compact 28/75 mm f2.8 leaf shutter prime lens, just like your 45mm - but put a leaf shutter in that one too. Take the FP to the next level. Leaf shutter lens will attract a huge new number of people to the FP and L mount system for photography.

The fp/L-mount has no built-in mechanics and electronics to support a leaf shutter.

It may be frustrating, but the current version of the fp is more a technology demo or beta version of a new camera concept.

For it to become mature, there needs to be improved hardware, such as: faster sensor readout to make the electronic shutter a fully-featured, fully equivalent replacement of a mechanical shutter, a faster CPU to allow simultaneous focus peaking and zebras and eliminate shutter lag, a higher-resolution display with focus magnification during recording to give more confidence when pulling focus, higher USB transfer speeds to allow full resolution and sensor readout for RAW video.

All good points rawshooter, curious though - how do you know the FP/L would not support leaf shutter? I'm not sure the mount would need anything mechanical for an in lens shutter (I use a Pentax Q7 and Hasselblad H3D, both with interchangeable leaf shutter lens that only have electronic mount communication). And would assume the electronics could be programmed to do whatever was required of a lens? Yes a fast global shutter would be the best solution though. 

2 hours ago, Roogii said:

All good points rawshooter, curious though - how do you know the FP/L would not support leaf shutter?

The leaf shutter would have to perfectly synchronize with the FP's built-in electronic shutter, which is practically impossible, and would result in artefacts. 

Normally, leaf shutter cameras (whether medium-format cameras or all-in-one cameras like the Ricoh GR and Fuji X100) are designed for leaf-shutter only, and provide no other options.

Of course it would need to be synchronised but I  don't think it would be practically impossible. I thought you was going to bring up a technical specification document of the L mount that contradicts any possibility of leaf shutter lens. The Pentax Q and Hasselblad X1d have electronic shutter (all sensors essentially are electronic shutters, on/off) and leaf shutter lens,  certainly no reason that Sigma could not either. If the next full frame foveon camera is in a similar shutterless design as the FP, then a bunch of compact leaf shutter lens will be a substitute for the DP line of cameras and providing another route of modularity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Yeah 1080p only for HDR video mode.

It will be interesting to see what dynamic range benefits it brings and how it is doing it.

Look at all that moire and line skipping in the 4K RAW. Terrible isn't it!? ;);)

A001_010_20200625_000117-1.png.01c5112cb5437419eb25b56be6705bc0.png

Yes I have not seen it occur yet, this could be because I use a vintage zeiss, or it could be that it simply is not as big a problem as people make it to be.

I will double check but I think the "color mode off" setting in the camera is embedded in the CDNG meta data somehow.  And resolve seems to use this info to make the imported file display a flatter color than before. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

simply is not as big a problem as people make it to be.

It's that one.

8 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

I will double check but I think the "color mode off" setting in the camera is embedded in the CDNG meta data somehow.  And resolve seems to use this info to make the imported file display a flatter color than before. 

Any plans to get a Ninja V?

• Administrators

BRAW could have a great future if they license it to other manufacturers.

Bit of a pain having to buy an external recorder for it.

Here is the choice for Blackmagic... Do they have the most successful RAW codec on the planet in all sorts of cameras by Sony, Panasonic, etc. and massively well adopted NLE (Resolve) or do they reserve BRAW for some Pocket potatoes?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

BRAW could have a great future if they license it to other manufacturers.

Bit of a pain having to buy an external recorder for it.

Here is the choice for Blackmagic... Do they have the most successful RAW codec on the planet in all sorts of cameras by Sony, Panasonic, etc. and massively well adopted NLE (Resolve) or do they reserve BRAW for some Pocket potatoes?

It's not better with ProRes RAW.

Problem with BRAW is that it requires an encoding FPGA - so we'll likely never see recording internally except by BM cameras.