Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Canon removing 24p from new 4K mirrorless cameras - THE MEMES

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/22/2019 at 2:41 PM, wolf33d said:

I can’t wait for @Mattias Burling to tell us how great the camera is. You know it’s all about the image. Forget the specs.

The Canon mojo!!

That's an unnecessary shot. @Mattias Burlingalways emphasizes that it's the right camera for him and his work flow, which is more than fair. Just because it's not an ideal camera for you doesn't mean it can't be for him. 

7 hours ago, forofilms said:

Yes, queue up Mattias to remind us of the color science and that specs don't matter...

We all have our preferences and what's important to us. For him SOC color is more important than other specs. And that's OK. I don't see why it bothers people. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 10:18 PM, Avenger 2.0 said:

How do we do this in Europe them? We have 25fps and most monitors are also 60 Hz somehow.

25 fps does not match 60 Hz monitor any better than 24 fps. therte is no reason for either really for youtube content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of an unnecessary poke at Mattias for sure, who is after all completely RIGHT about Canon's colour science, completely right that it's all about the image.

Take colour, feel and the image composition away and add specs... and what do you have. Yes that's right... Shit all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

A bit of an unnecessary poke at Mattias for sure, who is after all completely RIGHT about Canon's colour science, completely right that it's all about the image.

Take colour, feel and the image composition away and add specs... and what do you have. Yes that's right... Shit all.

Indeed. Someone as skillful as Mattias could use any camera, but the Canon EOS R helps him achieve his vision easiest.

The $200 challenge should have shown people that it's not just about specs. We're incredibly lucky to have so many tools at our disposal, whether your budget is $200 or $2,000,000 there's no short supply of cameras that can help you create your vision. 

The issue with Canon, and I think some people maybe forget this, is not that their cameras are inadequate but that they take features away that hinder creativity while every other manufacturer has done the opposite, at least to some extent or another. 

Do you need 24p? No. Do you need DPAF in 4K? No. Can you use excessive crops? Yes. You can still create works of art with these cameras, even if it hinders your creative vision. But why should you have to, when you can use a GH5, X-T3, a6400, or hell even an old T3i? You shouldn't have to deal with those limitations because Canon decided they wanted to segment the market more and take away features in their lower end models that they've included for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys,...stop making fun of Canon. They may not be on Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Yoshica, Pentax, Polaroid or Kodak's level.....but they are doing they best they can.

The problem is not Canon, its YOU people that have ridiculously high expectations. Canon ahouldnt bend over backwards to try and meet your unrealistic ideas

Just buy the damn thing and be happy with the 30p you get!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cliff Totten said:

Guys,...stop making fun of Canon. They may not be on Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Yoshica, Pentax, Polaroid or Kodak's level.....but they are doing they best they can.

The problem is not Canon, its YOU people that have ridiculously high expectations. Canon ahouldnt bend over backwards to try and meet your unrealistic ideas

Just buy the damn thing and be happy with the 30p you get!

 So the manufacturer knows whats best for us now ? i'm not sure i agree with that view of yours, 24fps has been with us since film was invented. Its been a standard for a long time. personally i dont think removing it has anything to do with licensing fees or technical hurdles that need to be overcome they've already been there and done that. This is more about segmenting the market and bigger profits. I do have ridiculously high expectations, basically because its 2019 not 1980. If canon want me to buy a camera it needs to have all the bells and whistles, regardless of whether canon think i will need them or not. Not something that's been shot in the kneecaps and i will have outgrown in 3 months as my expectations and knowledge increase. There's a thread on here about how canon profits have plunged well if canon thinks they can keep doing dumb things like this their profits will keep plunging.

perhaps media influencers and fan boy bloggers can keep flogging these cameras to new adoptees  However all it will take is one smart blogger to say save your dollars and get the xyz camera as you'll probably outgrow your bargain basement camera in three months. so save yourself some dollars

Another point that arises is the environment, can we really afford to keep buying tiered consumer production systems ? Say you buy a cheap camera outgrow it in three months buy something newer/ better. Hand it of to your wife, sister or brother maybe even your niece, they break it after using it three times and toss it, pretty soon we are all going to be living on top of trash piles.  But the polar icecaps will have probably melted so we needed the elevation anyway 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leslie said:

 So the manufacturer knows whats best for us now ? i'm not sure i agree with that view of yours, 24fps has been with us since film was invented. Its been a standard for a long time. personally i dont think removing it has anything to do with licensing fees or technical hurdles that need to be overcome they've already been there and done that. This is more about segmenting the market and bigger profits. I do have ridiculously high expectations, basically because its 2019 not 1980. If canon want me to buy a camera it needs to have all the bells and whistles, regardless of whether canon think i will need them or not. Not something that's been shot in the kneecaps and i will have outgrown in 3 months as my expectations and knowledge increase. There's a thread on here about how canon profits have plunged well if canon thinks they can keep doing dumb things like this their profits will keep plunging.

uhh I think he was trolling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently purchased an FS7 for work related purposes, and while I'm delighted by the specs & robustness of the high bitrate codec.. SOOC my EOS R smokes it in colour department.

EOS R was also the only vacation cam I had this summer across southern Italy & Sicily. Shot mostly standard, one-handed with DPAF. Footage is just marvellous, hardly any correction needed and not a single out of focus shot including tricky high altitude bits above Etna volcano. Couldn't think of a better camera to travel with. So yeah sometimes specs aren't everything..

Now about lack of 24p, it is quite odd since Canon cameras that lack it do offer 25p in PAL modes so it seems they "cripple" NTSC region only (US/Japan)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Django said:

I recently purchased an FS7 for work related purposes, and while I'm delighted by the specs & robustness of the high bitrate codec.. SOOC my EOS R smokes it in colour department.

EOS R was also the only vacation cam I had this summer across southern Italy & Sicily. Shot mostly standard, one-handed with DPAF. Footage is just marvellous, hardly any correction needed and not a single out of focus shot including tricky high altitude bits above Etna volcano. Couldn't think of a better camera to travel with. So yeah sometimes specs aren't everything..

Yep, but not a lot will invest 5 - 8.000€ for a vacation camera.

Also, for a vacation camera my NX500+16-50 PZ+30/2f pancake + 10mm fisheye pancake is absolutely perfect for a fraction of the cost while SOOC is just brilliant,  and an a6400 with the 18-105 4f is 90% sufficient for people that need a dedicated hybrid for their holidays (which isn't a huge percentage of the total demographic anyway).

The game is at the top; prosumers and professionals will spend a lot of money for their system, and as you said, after defending Canon for a couple of years, you "had" to go Sony..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Yep, but not a lot will invest 5 - 8.000€ for a vacation camera.

Also, for a vacation camera my NX500+16-50 PZ+30/2f pancake + 10mm fisheye pancake is absolutely perfect for a fraction of the cost while SOOC is just brilliant,  and an a6400 with the 18-105 4f is 90% sufficient for people that need a dedicated hybrid for their holidays (which isn't a huge percentage of the total demographic anyway).

The game is at the top; prosumers and professionals will spend a lot of money for their system, and as you said, after defending Canon for a couple of years, you "had" to go Sony..

Who said anything about investing 5-8000€ ? EOS R is 2300€ and all I had with me most of the time was the 500€ RF 35mm F2 IS Macro (super versatile lens).

I used my summer vacation as an example but EOS R is way more than just a travel camera. I've used it on several personal & professional projects this past year.

Also I haven't "gone Sony". I've been on multiple systems before, one doesn't cancel the other. I use whatever is the best tool for the project/situation. 

Sometimes it's Canon, sometimes its Sony.. Or Fuji.. Leica.. RED etc. People online are way too bent on this monotheist brand agnostic sentiment imo..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EF 35mm sucks absolute balls compared to the RF 35mm which is one of the best affordable entry level lenses I've seen on any system. I so wish Sony, Fuji and the others try to make something similar, because right now they are getting their ass handed to them in that department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Django said:

Who said anything about investing 5-8000€ ? EOS R is 2300€ and all I had with me most of the time was the 500€ RF 35mm F2 IS Macro (super versatile lens).

I used my summer vacation as an example but EOS R is way more than just a travel camera. I've used it on several personal & professional projects this past year.

Also I haven't "gone Sony". I've been on multiple systems before, one doesn't cancel the other. I use whatever is the best tool for the project/situation. 

Sometimes it's Canon, sometimes its Sony.. Or Fuji.. Leica.. RED etc. People online are way too bent on this monotheist brand agnostic sentiment imo..

The only thing holding me back from the R is the rolling shutter. Record limits suck of course as well but Fuji has that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 3:12 AM, 1Ale82 said:

he had a hump on his back. He occupied the same seat in the parliament for so long that the seat assumed the shape of his hump.

For me there is a very clear relationship between Andreotti's mangled chair and the missing 23.976. And if I were to step in a little further, I'd say that 'the hump' on Andreotti's back had been telling Canon exactly what to do for a very long time. Nothing else makes any sense.

I motion that we set out to find 'the hump' and then force it to deliver all kinds of new camera tech to further distract ourselves with. Anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Didn't you feel ripped off when you found out your 500 euros lens had a whiny externally focusing barrel like a 1980'S Tamron?

My only regret was that I didn't buy it earlier.. so sorry I gotta go with Mattias on this one. Best affordable entry level lens imo too.

I paid $450 for it at B&H by the way with a free filter, so more like 400 euros which is a steal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...