Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Reid

Find the best video quality for under $200 - fun challenge

Recommended Posts

On 7/1/2019 at 1:53 PM, Andrew Reid said:

If you can fine one consumer CCD camera from the past that actually looks cinematic, I'll eat my forum, and you'll win this challenge.

Challenge accepted.

I very much doubt that you'll need to get your knife and fork ready though!

20190704_105159_compress0.thumb.jpg.8ba1fac8d44936677b284e059683abc6.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Because he's going to have to hand his camera to somebody? ;) Only kidding, sure you won't be

I like the suggestion by the way from BTM that the winner of the vote should shoot something with the last place person's camera when he receives it. I have another suggestion... maybe they hand it back to the poor guy someday later so they feel at least a bit less bad?! :)

And I would like the winner to perhaps pass on some shooting tips to them, in a little letter when they return it. What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should be an interesting challenge. I have a feeling that the person who finds and uses a 4K camera will do well with the members vote... even if BTM’s Flip Video footage is way more cinematic... resolution will go a long way and probably result in arguments regarding cinematic and mojo being made up phrases because they aren’t quantifiable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe there should be more than one public vote.

One in the category of pixel peeping image quality... best resolution, best dynamic range, etc, etc.

And one judging the talent behind the camera?

Because sometimes people don't focus on both at once ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a used version of a camera that I already own today for £200.

I really didn't know the score about whether that makes mine eligible but I doubt it so I passed.

You'll be pleased to know I managed to park my inherent devious tendencies out of respect for the spirit of the competition and DIDN'T do a deal with the shop to buy it and return it 10 seconds later with a 10% handling charge so I'd have a receipt for one and then use my own!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 2:53 PM, Andrew Reid said:

If you can fine one consumer CCD camera from the past that actually looks cinematic, I'll eat my forum, and you'll win this challenge.

So I had a quick go with the £28 CCD camera yesterday and managed to get a film look out of it.

Unfortunately the particular film it looks like is the Zapruder one :)

CCD_6.thumb.jpg.934076abd644d719fd4db46f019c0537.jpg

 

19 hours ago, mercer said:

This should be an interesting challenge. I have a feeling that the person who finds and uses a 4K camera will do well with the members vote... even if BTM’s Flip Video footage is way more cinematic... resolution will go a long way and probably result in arguments regarding cinematic and mojo being made up phrases because they aren’t quantifiable.

Yeah, after looking at stuff I shot yesterday even on the lesser of the two evil cameras, I'm now regretting not giving in to my darker side and "buying" that 4K camera ;)

I'm also regretting not noticing the auto ISO was set to ON which as I had a vari-ND on was merrily ramping up the ISO to counteract every reduction I was doing.

Every shot before I noticed it (which was about 70% of the total) has a swarm of angry red and green mosquitos buzzing around in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm also regretting not noticing the auto ISO was set to ON which as I had a vari-ND on was merrily ramping up the ISO to counteract every reduction I was doing.

Every shot before I noticed it (which was about 70% of the total) has a swarm of angry red and green mosquitos buzzing around in it.

You're lucky to have manual controls in video, though.

I can't change a damn thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's ok to use something off your shelf if you see it / find it for £200 or less. It's proving it that's the more tricky part as the deal may not be around when it comes to reveal what you used. I'd say a photo of the camera in the store next to the price tag would suffice.

The real crux of the challenge is to make something much worse than 4k look good though. Much, much worse ;) See you have grappled that challenge admirably so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes it's ok to use something off your shelf if you see it / find it for £200 or less. It's proving it that's the more tricky part as the deal may not be around when it comes to reveal what you used. I'd say a photo of the camera in the store next to the price tag would suffice.

The real crux of the challenge is to make something much worse than 4k look good though. Much, much worse ;) See you have grappled that challenge admirably so far.

I was hoping to score enough points in the shopping section to offset the lack of them in the actual creative bit!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The YI M1 mirrorless MFT camera with 12-40mm lens is now on sale for $150 (the original price was $499). The technical specs are:

20MP Micro Four Thirds CMOS Sony IMX269 sensor

3-inch LCD touchscreen

5fps

ISO range: 100 - 25.600

4k/30P video

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth built-in

https://photorumors.com/2019/07/19/here-is-a-4k-20mp-mirrorless-mft-interchangeable-lens-camera-with-12-40mm-lens-for-150/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, buggz said:

The YI M1 mirrorless MFT camera with 12-40mm lens is now on sale for $150 (the original price was $499). The technical specs are:

20MP Micro Four Thirds CMOS Sony IMX269 sensor

3-inch LCD touchscreen

5fps

ISO range: 100 - 25.600

4k/30P video

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth built-in

https://photorumors.com/2019/07/19/here-is-a-4k-20mp-mirrorless-mft-interchangeable-lens-camera-with-12-40mm-lens-for-150/

Video quality is not that good unfortunately. Last firmware luckaly gives manual control in video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kye said:

I'm ready to ship one of my cameras.  Luckily I have all these boxes left over from buying vintage lenses.. lol

😂😂😂

What ? you haven't even lost...... yet 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 7:08 AM, kye said:

I'm ready to ship one of my cameras.  Luckily I have all these boxes left over from buying vintage lenses.. lol

😂😂😂

Are you referring to the z cam e1 or something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...