Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Apples to oranges....

That’s exactly my point. Comparing a Hasselblad or Phase One to cameras designed to be used outside of a studio is just plain silly. Sure, the medium format cameras may have an edge in ultimate image quality. But neither is a well suited street camera, travel camera or sports camera. They’re just not made for that sort of work. As I’m not a studio photographer those cameras have zero value for my use.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Personally, the A7riv is the first interesting model since the original A7. So I'm not hating on it. I actually wish I could justify the cost..

..But...

Hilarious irony for someone who has been told a million times that I'm an idiot for shooting a camera with 2016 video specs.. only to see Philip Bloom of all people point out that the Sony flagship is using 2015 video specs.. I spilled my coffee laughing.

(And to be fare to Canon, it at least has 400mbit and 10-bit out with it's 2016 specs.)

On 7/18/2019 at 5:42 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Hopefully it won't be another $3500 camera without even 10bit in 2019.

No. It’ll be a $3,500 camera with 10bit internal recording and amazing eye AF...that’ll overheat and shutdown in less than 30 mins of continuous shooting. I mean that is the MO of how they do things. It won’t be until the A7Sm4 that we will get a useable A7Sm3.

Hopefully by that time Panasonic (or @BTM_Pix) will sort their AF issues out and we can have our cake and eat it too. 

I heard Canon’s profits are down some 40%... and before anyone gets too excited, I also heard Sony’s profit was down over 70%. I think the only camera manufacturer that is seeing an slight increase is Fuji. 

This leads me to believe we might actually see something pretty great released by Canon in 2019-2020. Though this new A7R4 being released, while seemingly skipping the A7S3 is a complete mystery from Sony.

21 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

What a pendantic remark ! I know maybe more than a hundred pro photographers, only maybe five, ten at most, use a Hasselblad medium format camera. It's in fashion (and really part of it is mostly for show off reasons, they "NEED" the most expansive gear) and packshots. All the other ones have Canon and Nikon cameras. And a very small part (artist photographer amongst them) use Sony bodys. I bet you couldn't tell them apart in a blind test... If you feel limited by the current Canon, Nikon, etc. bodies in your photography, then you might look elsewhere for improving your art :)

I actually have a Phase One, have you tried one? Canikons are user friendly, and ok quality wise but they don't compare to a digital medium format camera.

2 hours ago, Nikkor said:

I actually have a Phase One, have you tried one? Canikons are user friendly, and ok quality wise but they don't compare to a digital medium format camera.

I tried a Phaser One and a Hasselblad many times (I'm a commercial director, not a photographer btw). I never said medium format cameras were bad, I was just talking about you saying Canon and Nikon DSLR are shit and not professional. Every photograph I like from great street photographers or even landscape/travel photography are almost never shot with a medium format camera. And yet I have been moved by them, they received prizes, I find them beautiful, colorwise... So yeah, your remark about medium format is the best and the rest is shit is irrelevant to me. Provocation can be fun sometimes (ask webrunner5) though.

And when I look at medium format photos on flickr, I'm not stunned. It depends on the photographer (always the same...)

2 hours ago, Nikkor said:

No one is arguing that a Phase One does not have higher quality in a studio setting. But let me ask you this, would you recommend it on a safari? Is it great for shooting sports? Street photography? I suspect you would end up with many blurry 150MP images. The only medium format camera that could be passable in street use is the GFX100. But even so, it’s largely a niche camera. 

And how is the Phase One as a hybrid camera? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

For almost all photographers the Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Sony offering are far superior. And btw... how does that 150MP image look on instagram? I suspect no better than any of the much more mainstream offerings.

He makes a good point about who really needs 150MP anymore. There are probably 12 people that make money using one, and sure OK you can hang a Large shot on your wall, but that is about it. They are becoming sort of a Dinosaur in these days. Nobody is really interested in another Polar Bear picture, on and on in this day and age. Times have changed.

The A7R IV video still has warp effect wobble and only 100mpbs is a let down.  Sony must still have overheating issues.

The video in Bloom's video looks good and the detail looks like the Z6 4k video detail that people said was to clear. Lol. 

So can the Sony fan boys tell me why this A7R IV is better then the Z6 in any way besides having ONE more card slot? 

The A7R IV is better than the Z6 if you shoot mainly stills. This is not a main video camera and aimed at a different category (Z7). It is much better in resolution and focus system (I have compared the A7R III to the Z6 on field). So what is you point exactly?

3 hours ago, liork said:

The A7R IV is better than the Z6 if you shoot mainly stills. This is not a main video camera and aimed at a different category (Z7). It is much better in resolution and focus system (I have compared the A7R III to the Z6 on field). So what is you point exactly?

Do you really think the A7RIV takes better stills then the Z6?

No it doesn't.

Not better color and not better DR either.  The AF is close. You need skill to be a photographer and better AF doesn't help with color or composition or the photographers eye.

Dude of course you have to be a better photographer. That's a given. It's a bad argument though. The A7RIV has better AF, Better Dynamic Range (advertised, still needs tested), Dual Card Slots, Better EVF, higher FPS burst, much higher resolution, along with more native lenses. Those are quite a few areas of superiority, which for some will make it a better stills tool. 

Your argument is the equivalent of saying there's no point buying a BMW over a Subaru because you need a good driver to get it around the track. That's true, but a good driver might choose a BMW for it's better onroad-track specs and be faster because of it. 

A better photographer will be able to use a more capable tool more effectively or efficiently, and for some the A7RIV will be a better tool. 

We all know this. Sure it's not competitive for video, but for stills it's a pretty nice piece of gear.

2 hours ago, Levi said:

Dude of course you have to be a better photographer. That's a given. It's a bad argument though. The A7RIV has better AF, Better Dynamic Range (advertised, still needs tested), Dual Card Slots, Better EVF, higher FPS burst, much higher resolution, along with more native lenses. Those are quite a few areas of superiority, which for some will make it a better stills tool. 

Your argument is the equivalent of saying there's no point buying a BMW over a Subaru because you need a good driver to get it around the track. That's true, but a good driver might choose a BMW for it's better onroad-track specs and be faster because of it. 

A better photographer will be able to use a more capable tool more effectively or efficiently, and for some the A7RIV will be a better tool. 

We all know this. Sure it's not competitive for video, but for stills it's a pretty nice piece of gear.

But in this case the BMW is the Nikon and Sony is the Subaru. And I'm not LOL on this one. 

So how does "Card Slots, Better EVF, higher FPS burst, much higher resolution, along with more native lenses" make you a better photographer or help you take better photographs? 

None of those items I quoted from you do that.

Nikon has F-mount lenses that work just as good as native Nikons. 

Image quality and color science should be priority. 

(Sony has two card slots so it's a better camera then the Nikon) That sounds ridiculous to me.

43 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

But in this case the BMW is the Nikon and Sony is the Subaru. And I'm not LOL on this one. 

So how does "Card Slots, Better EVF, higher FPS burst, much higher resolution, along with more native lenses" make you a better photographer or help you take better photographs? 

Well lets see... 

dual card slots might be the thing that saves your ass if card 1 manages to fail

A brighter sharper evf will make manually focusing easier, the best lenses in the world are still manual focus only

higher fps gives a better chance of getting "the shot" this is big for anyone that does sports, you just have more to pick one when it comes time to cull

high res allows you to crop in even more with less noticeable detail loss..

more native lenses gives more creative choices in what you can shoot. Remember back in 2013 when Sony had like 4 full frame lenses??

If all this doesn't matter, then what happens if/when the next gen Z6/Z7 have dual card slots, an even better EVF, faster burst rate, and higher res sensors???

7 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

A brighter sharper evf will make manually focusing easier, the best lenses in the world are still manual focus only

while I agree I think it's funny, as the EVF experience with Sony wasn't great until now. Every other manufacturer beat that at that. And the LCD seems to still be sub par as well.