Andrew Reid

Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

On 11/3/2019 at 6:49 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Almost got the EOS R for the AF. Seen some good deals on used ones for $1500 or less. Still couldn't justify it when the XT3 can be had used now for $1000 with 10 bit no crop 4k. 

Same here. It's $1799 on B&H and xt3 1299.. But having Full frame is nice. 35 1.8 IS seems good and bit cheaper than 23 f1.4 fuji. This fuji Combo would go for 2.100 vs Canon $2.250 ( but with IS). 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, tomastancredi said:

Same here. It's $1799 on B&H and xt3 1299.. But having Full frame is nice. 35 1.8 IS seems good and bit cheaper than 23 f1.4 fuji. This fuji Combo would go for 2.100 vs Canon $2.250 ( but with IS). 

Very true that was a big draw for Canon, the lenses. Still can't get past the IQ. But if its good enough for you go for it, certainly would make shooting easier in many ways. 

Though I am honestly happy with my XT3 right now, a gimbal and an 18-55 have given my so many good shots. I can throw a manual lens plus speedbooster on for a lot of stuff. I just do movements where I keep the same distance from the subject. 

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Very true that was a big draw for Canon, the lenses. Still can't get past the IQ. But if its good enough for you go for it, certainly would make shooting easier in many ways. 

funny enough IQ is the one thing that I think this camera excel other than AF. Match really well with my p4ks and the file is a joy to grade 

6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Still can't get past the IQ

Nice that you are happy with xt3. It interest me because It seems to have great 1080p and eterna seems similar to clog (for me it's essential to have small files with good looking and gradable images. I'm after a almost c100 like camera. But I also want the most DR, 4k, from time to time). The EOS R seems perfect for it as well, maybe with nicer skin tones for my teste. Why do you think IQ is so superior? DR?

4 hours ago, xzobinx said:

IQ is the one thing that I think this camera excel

HD Full frame or 4k 1.7 crop?

54 minutes ago, tomastancredi said:

Nice that you are happy with xt3. It interest me because It seems to have great 1080p and eterna seems similar to clog (for me it's essential to have small files with good looking and gradable images. I'm after a almost c100 like camera. But I also want the most DR, 4k, from time to time). The EOS R seems perfect for it as well, maybe with nicer skin tones for my teste. Why do you think IQ is so superior? DR?

HD Full frame or 4k 1.7 crop?

HD full frame mostly. I use 4k from time to time for the reach but don't really need the resolution 

7 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Image holds more detail with higher color depth. Less prone to banding and you can push the image more in post. 

The advantage Canon has in terms of skin tones is better auto WB imo. Fuji auto white balance isn't very good, best to stick to manual. 

If you record externally on the Canon and get the 10 bit 4k its really nice, but its 1.7 crop and has terrible rolling shutter.