Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, hmcindie said:

3. I'm not talking about the image yet, it may blow me away as I grade (which it hasn't yet as I'm just looking at everything through the braw plugin in premiere).

My pocket 6k raw footage looked better in resolve than premiere. Not sure why, but it does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can we use whatever external recorder we want to if we use hdmi output  in order to have 4:2:2/10 bit ? 

I was thinking of BM new recorders that they can record even BRaw (of course not from a compressed signal like Eos R's)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hmcindie said:

 

That doesn't make any sense. When you need an ND when filming is usually outside in the sun. If you have that ND there you can easily get to that coveted 180 degree shutter. You don't need to remove it until it gets really dark. And after that you will not need to put it back on. Your vari ND will have less quality and just fiddly.

Also if you buy the ND adapter you will most likely have the regular adapter too. Instead of taking out the ND in the adapter, just switch adapters. It takes 10 seconds and is usually done after it gets dark.

Its just a convenience thing. If it was electronic ND's I'd see the benefit more as you wouldn't be getting the bad effects that Vari ND's give. Another benefit of standard internal ND filters is they aren't polarizing filters stacked, just regular ND's. 


If it makes no difference shooting 720p 8 bit and 2.8k 12 bit then the Pocket certainly makes zero sense for you.  Black magic in general is catering people who want cinema quality images to work with, Canon is certainly about convenience. 

I just can't buy into a full frame system that doesn't do full frame 4k. 

5 hours ago, Snowbro said:

My pocket 6k raw footage looked better in resolve than premiere. Not sure why, but it does. 

Apparently Premiere converts everything to 8 bit, allegedly. 

4 hours ago, nathlas said:

Can we use whatever external recorder we want to if we use hdmi output  in order to have 4:2:2/10 bit ? 

I was thinking of BM new recorders that they can record even BRaw (of course not from a compressed signal like Eos R's)

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2019 at 1:02 AM, Adam Kuźniar said:

Oh man I hope you never have to shoot with any cinema camera (which the Pocket is) because they all HAVE to be rigged to be used. Damn, that Alexa Mini must be so shit because it doesn't even have a battery slot.

That's user error, not the camera's fault.

Yeah but the difference is you get that crop in resolution and frame rate that the R can't even dream of achieving. 

In general I just feel like you went in with the "pocket sux and lemme prove that" approach and it influenced your experiences. R sounds like a much better choice for your workflow though and I can agree with that.

Ya, but the BM camera is supposed to fill the video camera mode of a hybrid, and is used in that role mostly. So his comments about the ergonomics and general usability are valid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Ya, but the BM camera is supposed to fill the video camera mode of a hybrid, and is used in that role mostly. So his comments about the ergonomics and general usability are valid.

And it does. Try using any other camera with those specs and its a much bigger rig. A pocket 4k/6k with the battery grip is still small even with a monitor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mokara said:

Ya, but the BM camera is supposed to fill the video camera mode of a hybrid, and is used in that role mostly. So his comments about the ergonomics and general usability are valid.

I disagree that it's a hybrid. Just because it has a form factor more similar to a photo camera doesn't mean it's a hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

I disagree that it's a hybrid. Just because it has a form factor more similar to a photo camera doesn't mean it's a hybrid.

Yeah definitely wouldn't want to use it for any serious photography work. Definitely targeted towards the SLR run and gun market to an extent though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

I disagree that it's a hybrid. Just because it has a form factor more similar to a photo camera doesn't mean it's a hybrid.

I did not say it was a hybrid, I said it was meant to fill the video camera mode of a hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Snowbro said:

It now has Eye Tracking AF in video and it works really really good.. I am excited for when they actually release a pro model one day. Hopefully it will have Clog 2

Probably clog3, clog 2 is for 10bit only i think

 

But yeah the eye af is really good now!  Even in high speed mode it can detect pretty well. (Still no continuous AF ugh)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you're saying, because it works continuously (eye AF) during a video recording. It's worked now in every mode I've used. It will revert to face/object tracking if they get really far away or turn around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Not sure what you're saying, because it works continuously (eye AF) during a video recording. It's worked now in every mode I've used. It will revert to face/object tracking if they get really far away or turn around. 

not highspeed mode (100P/120P)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to upgrade to 1.4 and try out this new eye AF performance.

By the way, I finally picked up a C200 as an A-Cam to EOS R. They are so close in IQ when shooting C-log mp4.

C200 doesn't even do eye-AF but has Face Priority feature which is awesome (AF won't budge if Face turns around or disappears). 

Hopefully that feature will appear in a future firmware. Canon seems to be on a roll with these updates..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting, the 2 people I know with C200s both have said its face tracking AF is not to be trusted on a professional shoot and they use object tracking instead. They were both disappointed the C200 AF didn't work as well as it did on the 1dxmk2 and 5d4. Hopefully the EOS-r is as good as the dslr's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ade towell still in test phase of the c200 but so far the face tracking has been absolutely flawless even though I try to stress the AF shooting wide open at F1.2-F1.4, and again face priority is a handy feature. How it compares to a 1DX2 however I can't tell you.. all I know is that for a cine cam it's pretty damn good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the R still has freezing problems. Has to be at least my 4th copy in a year. 

I told my cousin I would get video of her walking down the aisle at her wedding yesterday, since they only had a photographer. I was using a top level SD card & recording 4K all-i etc. I recorded her husband walk out, then the camera wouldnt stop recording for 30 seconds. My cousin comes out, the camera wouldnt respond to touch focus changes and wouldnt start recording for about 15 seconds. It finally started recording as she was halfway to the alter and the AF wasnt working, hurry and switched to manual (peaking wouldnt pop up). Got her in focus, but reviewing the footage, there were multiple dropped frames. After that clip, I went to record again with just 1080p, it was racking focus so slow, took about 7 seconds to get back on track. Stopped that recording and started again right before they exchanged vows, then the camera worked fine the rest of the night after that... except the AWB was kinda shit & has been on this copy (none were as good as 1DX II). This camera isnt as reliable in AF vs. the 1DX, dont even risk it if you need the shot. It will work great in testing, but shooting all night, it failed at least 30% of the time.

Basically, I would never rely on this camera for anything professional (events). Even if you are setup for manual focusing. I posted last year that when testing this camera, it would randomly stop autofoucsing, but would look like it still was, until you tried moving the AF point. I think it doesnt have enough processing power & their programming for the camera isnt optimised well enough. 

I might still keep it for just photos, annoying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

So the R still has freezing problems. Has to be at least my 4th copy in a year. 

I told my cousin I would get video of her walking down the aisle at her wedding yesterday, since they only had a photographer. I was using a top level SD card & recording 4K all-i etc. I recorded her husband walk out, then the camera wouldnt stop recording for 30 seconds. My cousin comes out, the camera wouldnt respond to touch focus changes and wouldnt start recording for about 15 seconds. It finally started recording as she was halfway to the alter and the AF wasnt working, hurry and switched to manual (peaking wouldnt pop up). Got her in focus, but reviewing the footage, there were multiple dropped frames. After that clip, I went to record again with just 1080p, it was racking focus so slow, took about 7 seconds to get back on track. Stopped that recording and started again right before they exchanged vows, then the camera worked fine the rest of the night after that... except the AWB was kinda shit & has been on this copy (none were as good as 1DX II). This camera isnt as reliable in AF vs. the 1DX, dont even risk it if you need the shot. It will work great in testing, but shooting all night, it failed at least 30% of the time.

Basically, I would never rely on this camera for anything professional (events). Even if you are setup for manual focusing. I posted last year that when testing this camera, it would randomly stop autofoucsing, but would look like it still was, until you tried moving the AF point. I think it doesnt have enough processing power & their programming for the camera isnt optimised well enough. 

I might still keep it for just photos, annoying. 

F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Snowbro said:

So the R still has freezing problems. Has to be at least my 4th copy in a year. 

I might still keep it for just photos, annoying. 

Maybe All-i is too much on R? I have no problem with my R on events so far, though I only shoot on IPB mode, it is quite a nice companion to C200

But sorry for your bad luck, some people just have bad luck on certain camera model. Didn't mattias having problem on his copies of a6300(or a6500) that all turn out to be turkey after 3 replacement.

 

Here is C200 & EOS R shooting My Restaurant Rules for TVNZ

70937968_2742900635754500_4551158483138904064_n.jpg

71015324_538356133576292_552851999977111552_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think Snowbro is related to Magneto or something ;) 

I'm on EOS R since release date and have never experienced a single freeze up.

That said I admit I wouldn't feel comfortable using it as an A-cam to a paid gig. It has always been B-cam to even my C100 for video & 5D3 for stills.

It definitely still feels like a Mark 1 product..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...