Canon EOS R first impressions - INSANE split personality camera

Andrew Reid

yes well done Canon, I can now spend £2300 on a camera that has slightly better RS than the £500, 2.5 year old gold standard for crap RS. All be it with a bigger, closer to m43 crop

At least the A7s2 is full frame in 4k...

There's a few things Canon got right in this camera, but RS isn't one of them

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, ade towell said:

yes well done Canon, I can now spend £2300 on a camera that has slightly better RS than the £500, 2.5 year old gold standard for crap RS. All be it with a bigger, closer to m43 crop

So the RS is not an issue with another manufacturer but is an issue when it's a Canon?

Interesting logic. I get it in the sense that your basically spec shooting. I don't get it in the sense that either it is a problem (then it is a problem with every camera that has it) or it is not.

No my issue is the price Canon want you to pay for a highly cropped image with terrible RS. I would hope that technology would have progressed enough in the last 2.5 years that they would have got it sorted by now rather than being compared to old much cheaper cameras.

I have owned and then sold on the Sony a6300, and the RS was a problem for me handheld, if the camera didn't move the image in 4k was lovely. Same with the EOS-r it seems,  but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a camera with what is for me such a big issue that severely limits its uses. 

I'm a Canon shooter so no need to get defensive - was looking for a hybrid b cam to the c100, and (somewhat ironically) have opted for the Canon m50 and learnt to embrace the even worse crop and RS in 4k. But it only cost me £400 and it's the hd where I use it most and it's good enough for that. I use 4k for occasional static shots. I'm not willing to pay £2300 for those limitations but £400 is ok (for me).

If you are mostly shooting FHD and "use 4k for occasional static shots" then i don't think the EOS R crop/RS will be such a big issue. i also use it like that as a C100 b-cam and i find it perfect for that application. Without C-Log, M50 seems rather limited imo. Don't forget you are also paying for a quite nice 30MP FF stills camera.

That said, yes the 4K RS is bad, and the crop is massive. there is no sugar coating around those two facts.

No surprise, Youtubers generally have a pretty low IQ and shill out. This guy armando ferreira posted some crap with the eos r a bit ago. I had the eos r for 3 weeks and did many controlled tests between the 1dx ii. I stated that my results found that the iso performance looked to be about half of the 1dx once you get past 6,000. 6,000 iso on the eos r looked extremely close to 12,800 on the 1dx ii. He said that the eos r has much better low light iso... that's when I knew he was full of crap, but it gets better.

He also said since it has clog, that it destroys the 1dx ii in dynamic range; well, I checked and posted that professional tests done with software at cinema5d show 10.7 stops dynamic range on eos r with clog and 11 stops dynamic range on the 1dx ii lol. He posted on twitter "Yeah man C-Log gives you the best dynamic range and it makes a big difference in video. That's actually why I sold the 1DX I never understood why Canon never added it but probably because the 1DX doesn't have good DR to begin with?" Hahaha he thinks that they didn't put clog in the 1dx ii because canon thought the sensor didn't have good enough DR?! ? It was done to protect the cinema line, 1DC had it. 

His buddy potato jet also shills super hard for any new canon gear, in hopes that he will also get invited to hawaii one day. Most of you saw his rigged videos where he shot the canon 1080p stuff in super 35 mode, which has been confirmed by canon to be supersampling, so it is insanely good. Then goes to say that there is zero difference between the 1080p image and 4k (he softened the 4k img in post). Not to mention they shot super 35 1080p in the canon and compared it to the a7iii 1080, claiming it was the ff eos r footage. Sony a7iii has soft s35 1080 and doesn't perform as good in slog 3 vs slog 2, so that's what they shot in. Yes, also shoot 8 bit slog 3 in low light and tell the sheep that sony footage is junk and falls apart without being pushed. 

Just a heads up to you guys, they are very deceitful and ignore facts to push their shill agenda. Seems that is all most youtubers are, !@#$%! for auction lol. Should have gone to college.

One only needs to look at the domestic price (it will be under 200k yen very soon, including 8% tax) to see how overpriced it is initially as usual.

The affiliate links are at full alert and YT is helping this camera and its particular set of features (mirrorless, 1080p FF, DPAF, flip-screen) in a big way.

I found a 1080p ISO comparison against the 6D II (which I already found to be quite good) and it seems to be at least half a stop better.

I found this review to be free of shilling (but the recommendation of skipping it for the next generation means another 2-3 years of waiting)

I wonder where they are going to price the next, 'entry-level' model (and how it will differ to the 6D II, no 4k and soft 1080p wouldn't be very nice in 2018 but maybe Canon can get away with anything), since this model will likely to drop in price by the time that will be presented.

The combination of Camera and Lens is excellent for short form recording, interviews and ENG stuff. However I needed something I could rely for all day event recording and ended up returning the A7III, simply because the camera overheats after 42 minutes of recording. I still have the Lens and I'm waiting for a better A7S III !!!

Lol, wow. I just started going through my eos r photos from NY in late October (busy with school/work). I can see very distinctive color banding at just 1.3 stops increase in exposure. Scratch that as a professional photo tool. Nail your shot perfect 100% of the time and you'll be good. 

On 12/7/2018 at 12:54 PM, androidlad said:

Some love for Canon, here's some info about the previously mentioned Canon FF GS sensor, EOS R "C" ?

CanonGS.thumb.jpg.e6626d173dbfd2dc0815e95f5d3d6a0c.jpg

That looks destined for the Cinema line. They're not releasing a 10mp hybrid and they're certainly not releasing a 4k60p hybrid or something that does 12-bit internal given how conservative they are with 5d4 or EOS R video specs. Its a Cx00 sensor if anything.

Chris

10 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

That looks destined for the Cinema line. They're not releasing a 10mp hybrid and they're certainly not releasing a 4k60p hybrid or something that does 12-bit internal given how conservative they are with 5d4 or EOS R video specs. Its a Cx00 sensor if anything.

Chris

But still this would sell like hotcakes. I def will get one unless they are 20k.