Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

On 10/14/2018 at 10:34 PM, androidlad said:

I'm thrilled to say that Metabones just confirmed in an email that they are working on EF-X Speedbooster and some other new products!

Hi - did they state whether this will be a 'dumb' or electronic mount? I ask because I have a bunch of C/Y mount Zeiss lenses, most of which have been adapted to Canon EF mount but aren't electronic but I've found that most of the lens mount adapters are electronic which is a feature for which I'd be paying but not deriving any benefit (unless I used normal Canon EF glass of course).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think Metabones sells Any Dumb Speedboosters. They sell dumb adapters but they have no glass in them that I can see. But I guess there is always a chance they change their product  lineup.

They do but perhaps not for Canon EF, so you may be 1/2 right.

3 hours ago, Robin said:

I thought it may be useful info especially if anyone is filming in a hot climate.

I have not noticed any hot pixels or any image issues at all, but I have not been looking for them. 

If I let the cameras run for a bit and then get some raw stills what is best to shoot? A flat colour wall or something like that ?

I understand and appreciate your intentions. 

I'd say any dark surface. Even better would be to put the lens cap on and take a photo at a normal shutter speed, i.e. not in Aperture Priority which might result in a three-minute exposure. 

Thanks much! Appreciate it.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't think Metabones sells Any Dumb Speedboosters. They sell dumb adapters but they have no glass in them that I can see. But I guess there is always a chance they change their product  lineup.

If you search back you will find several years worth of comments from people wishing Metabones to start making electronic speedboosters instead of just dumb once. 

15 minutes ago, norliss said:

They do but perhaps not for Canon EF, so you may be 1/2 right.

Yeah for a Zeiss PL to E mount, and Nikon G to Pentax Q. I am sure the latter one are big movers.

14 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If you search back you will find several years worth of comments from people wishing Metabones to start making electronic speedboosters instead of just dumb once. 

Have you ever even looked at Metabones Product catalog in the last 5 years?? I see 2 non electric SB that i listed above. And like 12 people are going to buy them. Sure someone may have an old one they make that is dumb. Just tape over, or paint over the contacts and they All can become dumb. Problem solved.

http://www.metabones.com/products

29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

They do. 

http://www.metabones.com/products/?c=speed-booster

FD / Conterex / F / Leica R / Contax Yashica / Olympus OM / etc etc

Ahh I didn't click on the Speedbooster link on the top. 3 pages instead of 2. Sounds pretty silly that products have less items than a side link.

Because of that I will Never buy another SB from them LoL.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Also interesting. It is a little outdated, but Fuji makes Tons more money with the Instant Film than they do with real digital cameras. I would of never guessed.

https://fstoppers.com/news/instant-film-not-digital-cameras-main-reason-fujifilm-doing-so-well-222998

Canon doesn't seem able to compete with Fijifilm skin care products either-perhaps included with the 5D MkV ?

Fujifilm skin care 0-25 at 5.03.36 PM (2).jpg

• Super Members
14 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Have you ever even looked at Metabones Product catalog in the last 5 years?? I see 2 non electric SB that i listed above.

Yes I have, thats how I knew you where wrong when you said that they didn't make any. No need to see everything as a battle. You asked, I answered.
Your welcome btw.

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Has this been posted on here about Never going FF? Sounds like a crazy statement to me. Why lock yourself in?

https://***URL removed***/interviews/8996865021/photokina-2018-fujifilm-interview-we-will-never-go-full-frame

Why compete in a crowded market, if you have two where you are dominating?
But the statement that they won't make a FF camera is incorrect, actually they do right now. The GFX offers a 35mm crop mode.

X-T3 sensor SKU NDA lift:

(Note that Fujifilm custom designed X-Trans CFA on top of the sensor substrate, the sensor/photosite architecture remain unchanged)

https://www.framos.com/us/imx571bqr-c-22199

Interesting that Fuji did not (or not yet enabled) the 16bit/6.84fps readout mode for lower noise floor. Newer generation sensors from Sony Semicon are all capable of 16bit ADC. According to the confidential datasheet, 14bit readout mode has 11.6dB higher noise floor than 16bit HQ mode, penalty being more than half the readout speed.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:34 PM, Walter H said:

I understand and appreciate your intentions. 

I'd say any dark surface. Even better would be to put the lens cap on and take a photo at a normal shutter speed, i.e. not in Aperture Priority which might result in a three-minute exposure. 

Thanks much! Appreciate it.

Update for you. One green pixel per camera. (Xh1,XT3)

How does that compare to what you would normally expect? 

So I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on this X-T3 issue. I’m new to Fuji, so it may be my ignorance of the system. When shooting video, unlike my A7iii or GH5, I get an ugly exposure stepping with changes in light. The Sony & Panasonic are quick & smooth in their reactions to any changes in light intensity, so this is a new phenomenon for me. Additionally, the X-T3’s reaction to these changes seems to be slower than the other cameras. 

In googling up this issue, it seems that the only recommendation short of full manual, is locking down iris & shutter and allowing the camera to set the ISO. However even with this approach, I still see a stepping rather than a smooth transition as exposure changes. Since I do a lot of run n gun shooting, full manual is impractical. 

I should mention these results are with the kit lens. However in a visit to B&H, I saw the same behavior with other Fuji lenses. This is really disappointing to me and I’m scratching my head as to why something so seemingly basic, has not been perfected by Fuji. 

5 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

So I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on this X-T3 issue. I’m new to Fuji, so it may be my ignorance of the system. When shooting video, unlike my A7iii or GH5, I get an ugly exposure ramping with changes in light. The Sony & Panasonic are quick & smooth in their reactions to any changes in light intensity, so this is a new phenomenon for me. Additionally, the X-T3’s reaction to these changes seems to be slower than the other cameras. 

In googling up this issue, it seems that the only recommendation short of full manual, is locking down iris & shutter and allowing the camera to set the ISO. However even with this approach, I still see a ramping in exposure changes. Since I do a lot of run n gun shooting, full manual is impractical. 

I should mention these results are with the kit lens. However in a visit to B&H, I saw the same behavior with other Fuji lenses. This is really disappointing to me and I’m scratching my head as to why something so seemingly basic, has not been perfected by Fuji. 

I rarely use auto anything and when I do I usually don't care that much about the quality. But yeah it isn't super smooth, though I wouldn't say its super obnoxious either.