Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

8 bit 4:2:2 can be better than 10 bit 4:2:0, but there are too many other variables to take into account, bit rate being just one, interframe or intraframe compression being another and so on.

The only reason is that none of the current ARM processors support HEVC Main 10 version 2 (which includes 10bit 422 up to 12bit 444)

3 hours ago, Gordon Zernich said:

Thanks for being honest. Mostly I read here and try to learn (when the discussion doesn't go way over my head). 

I'll make no major purchases until retirement.

That said, I noticed blown out highlights in both videos and was getting disappointed by it. Like, geez, I get that same result shooting with an older bridge camera with a one inch sensor.

So, okay, thanks for clarifying part of the blown out highlights issue. There are probably other factors involved with that ... so that's why I'm here to learn.

I was shooting Eterna---it is a film simulation between the standard simulations and Fuji F-Log. Eterna is not, strictly speaking, a truly flat profile. F-log is what should be used on bright days like I was shooting on. It will give you a full 12 stops of dynamic range...not too shabby by any means.

The reason I didn't use F-log is because I was trying out these FD lenses for the first time and trying to properly judge exposure and dynamic range in F-log would only complicate things. I wasn't trying to demonstrate dynamic range. I was only trying to show how you can shoot non-electronic, fully manual lenses in the X-H1 because of the 3 axis internal stabilization the camera provides. If I'd been trying to do something finished and professional I would have shot more on a tripod, definitely shot in F-log, been more careful with my exposure over all, and graded things carefully in editing. But in this I was only trying to say you can get some pretty good images with a lot of character, very fast speeds, and not have to spend thousands of $$ on expensive lenses. That's why I mentioned the footage was shot on FDs...never before was possible on Fujifilm cameras. You can do the same with Rokinon cinema lenses--but they're heavier.

23 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

9ms sounds a bit optimistic and Cinema5Dracula have been wrong before on their rolling shutter tests.

Fuji themselves claim 17ms in the fastest sensor mode, 4K 60p.

The GH5S is similar, maybe a bit less around 14-15ms.

The Alexa is around 10-12ms.

I highly doubt 24p is 9ms when Fuji themselves claim 17ms for 60p!!

The 17ms quote cannot be found in any of the official Fuji press releases, DPReview mentioned "16ms" in a preview article but no source given.

Interestingly, Fuji's official X-T3 press release claims that the rolling shutter distortion "has been halved" compared to X-T2 and X-H1, which has a 21ms rolling shutter according Cinema5D lab test, X-T3's 9ms test result aligns nicely with this official statement and Cinema5D's consistent testing setup.

20 hours ago, avrofilmvideo said:

How would you know if z6 will be better then z7?  

z6 might be using same crap sensor as Sony a7III.

BTW, i am sure DR on xt3 is not as good as on GH5s. Saw some tests. 

LOL. Sorry everyone but I have to correct some pretty nice BS stuff here :) 

Crap sensor A7III? What is the 5DIV sensor to you then? A phone-like sensor or what?  What about GH5 sensor with abysmal-low DR for stills? Clearly the D850 has the best still sensor for FF right now, that does not mean the A7III is crap in fact it's one of the best in the industry. Source attached. And btw the A7III overall destroys your D850 for video use.

DR on xt3 not as good as GH5s.... which test ? Source ? Cause the only test I saw shows the contrary. Source: https://***URL not allowed***/fujifilm-x-t3-review/

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 21.06.54.png

1 minute ago, wolf33d said:

LOL. Sorry everyone but I have to correct some pretty nice BS stuff here :) 

Crap sensor A7III? What is the 5DIV sensor to you then? A phone-like sensor or what?  What about GH5 sensor with abysmal-low DR for stills? Clearly the D850 has the best still sensor for FF right now, that does not mean the A7III is crap in fact it's one of the best in the industry. Source attached. And btw the A7III overall destroys your D850 for video use.

DR on xt3 not as good as GH5s.... which test ? Source ? Cause the only test I saw shows the contrary. Source: https://***URL not allowed***/fujifilm-x-t3-review/

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 21.06.54.png

LOL 5Dmk4 not even in the top 20.. wow

• Super Members

EDITED: mistacenly called it a "speed booster", AF adapter is what it is.

I just ordered the Viltrox EF to adapter and a X-H1. So in two days I can provide additional info on the adapters performance. There already are a nice test video, posted earlier in the thread, but I haven't found any from the "real world".
I suspect it will be popular among X-T3 users if its good enough.

I already have the MFT version of the Viltrox and its been surprisingly fast. It can of course miss sometimes. If its critical shooting I would use a native lens for peace of mind. But over all its very fast and accurate with the EF-glass I've tested. I shoot msingle focus with center point or box. Tracking has been pretty bad when I tested it, but since I never use tracking it could be my fault. If the adapter is equally good on the Fuji I will still call it a win for my needs.

Pretty stocked. I have debated during the weekend if I should just keep my G80, upgrade to a G9 (want top display) or go X-H1.
I bought the X-H1 open box so if I don't like it I can sell it if without much loss. If the IBIS isnt good enough and Im willing to sacrifice DR I can be confident in upgrading to the G9. If it gets to stick around the X-T3 hopefully means that an X-H2 can be in my upgrade path.

27 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I just ordered the Viltrox EF to Fuji Speedbooster and a X-H1. So in two days I can provide additional info on the adapters performance. There already are a nice test video, posted earlier in the thread, but I haven't found any from the "real world".
I suspect it will be popular among X-T3 users if its good enough. As a long time Fuji fan it will be fun to try it in "full frame" :)

Look forward to hearing your report!

Great seeing so many people joining the Fuji party ?.... I also used the XT3 news to go bag myself a cheap XH1, having IBIS on the 90mm/F2 is a dream, as is shooting direct to Eterna (tip, protect your highlights, there are alot of clean shadows hiding away in eterna)

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

having IBIS on the 90mm/F2 is a dream,

That lens is the best in the lineup imo. Its L-glass territory.

Ive used the X-Pro2, X-E3, X-T20 and X-T2 for several gigs. Sports, portrait, documentary etc.
I also hired a freelancer that was swinging the X-T2. Together we shot about 5-7000 images in 60 locations and I ended up editing 3000 keepers from both of us. So lets just say I have an empirical experience of Fuji files from various fuji bodies and various lenses in various lighting conditions (inc HSS).

I cant tell you how many times Ive gone "wow, what lens was that?" and clicked the EXIF only to see the 90mm f2.
If Fuji ends up as my main camera again I will buy that lens.

36 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I just ordered the Viltrox EF to Fuji Speedbooster and a X-H1. So in two days I can provide additional info on the adapters performance. There already are a nice test video, posted earlier in the thread, but I haven't found any from the "real world".

Speedbooster? Is there such a thing? Because I was under the impression that only an AF (non-boosted) version was available:

http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=145&id=220

This was the adapter featured in the previous test video.

If you have a link to the Viltrox adapter you mention, I would be very interested