Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
1 minute ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Speedbooster? Is there such a thing? Because I was under the impression that only an AF (non-boosted) version was available:

http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=145&id=220

This was the adapter featured in the previous test video.

If you have a link to the Viltrox adapter you mention, I would be very interested 

Ahh, sorry about that. I read to quickly. Either way, EF with AF is what Im after first and foremost. For a speedbooster effect one has to resort to manual glass. Which for video isn't a real issue for me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

That lens is the best in the lineup imo. Its L-glass territory.

Ive used the X-Pro2, X-E3, X-T20 and X-T2 for several gigs. Sports, portrait, documentary etc.
I also hired a freelancer that was swinging the X-T2. Together we shot about 5-7000 images in 60 locations and I ended up editing 3000 keepers from both of us. So lets just say I have an empirical experience of Fuji files from various fuji bodies and various lenses in various lighting conditions (inc HSS).

I cant tell you how many times Ive gone "wow, what lens was that?" and clicked the EXIF only to see the 90mm f2.
If Fuji ends up as my main camera again I will buy that lens.

Yea, it is stunning. I do alot of wedding stuff and the 90mm shots always get the best reaction (and also allow me to go unnoticed in the distance). I was toying with the idea of moving to the 80mm/f2.8 for the OIS, but the XH1 has fixed that issue.

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ahh, sorry about that. I read to quickly. Either way, EF with AF is what Im after first and foremost. For a speedbooster effect one has to resort to manual glass. Which for video isn't a real issue for me.

Thanks. I also use the m43 booster version all the time and I'm very happy with the results. If the Fuji version offers the same level of AF performance, I'm sold. 

Being able to use the Sigma 18-35 with the Fujis can justify buying this adapter by itself. I will even be using it on the X-Pro2 for photos. By the end of the month I will have the XT3 for testing/review and it would be ideal to have the Viltrox by then too. So I'll be reading your report with great interest! 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yea, it is stunning. I do alot of wedding stuff and the 90mm shots always get the best reaction (and also allow me to go unnoticed in the distance). I was toying with the idea of moving to the 80mm/f2.8 for the OIS, but the XH1 has fixed that issue.

As an X-Photographer I'm fortunate enough to have either owned or extensively tested every Fujifilm camera and lens. It is almost universally recognized that the 16mm, 90mm and 80mm are the sharpest and optically best of the Fujinons. They are also the fastest in terms of AF. On the other hand, perhaps other Fuji lenses offer more "character". For mainstream pro work (e.g. weddings) you can't go wrong with any of those three. 

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

Kipon seems to be working on it.

Great! I have been using, testing and writing reviews on my blog about various focal reducers during the last 4 years or so and never had the chance to test a Kipon; I was hearing rather mediocre reports of them though. 

Funny thing is, just today I'm getting delivery of a EF to Sony Kipon speedbooster, that I bought for my girlfriend's Sony! Which means I'll finally have the chance to evaluate optical performance and build. If the manage to make an optically efficient and AF capable EOS to Fuji speedbooster, then I'm sold. Chances are 50/50 right of getting the XT3 as my next hybrid Fuji camera and the ability to use adapted lenses with AF and boosting would be excellent news. 

Mattias is this on the market yet? Link? 

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Great! I have been using, testing and writing reviews on my blog about various focal reducers during the last 4 years or so and never had the chance to test a Kipon; I was hearing rather mediocre reports of them though. 

Funny thing is, just today I'm getting delivery of a EF to Sony Kipon speedbooster, that I bought for my girlfriend's Sony! Which means I'll finally have the chance to evaluate optical performance and build. If the manage to make an optically efficient and AF capable EOS to Fuji speedbooster, then I'm sold. Chances are 50/50 right of getting the XT3 as my next hybrid Fuji camera and the ability to use adapted lenses with AF and boosting would be excellent news. 

Mattias is this on the market yet? Link? 

Ive reviewed several Kipon adapters including speedboosters and in my experience they are very good. I see no problem using them instead of Metabones.
With that said, we all have different standards and levels of pixel peeping so one has to try to be sure. But for me, my images and videos they are more than good enough. But I have no experience with any of their AF options. But I will be getting it to test it out.

Yes its available on ebay (2-3 weeks delivery).

20 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ive reviewed several Kipon adapters including speedboosters and in my experience they are very good. I see no problem using them instead of Metabones.
With that said, we all have different standards and levels of pixel peeping so one has to try to be sure. But for me, my images and videos they are more than good enough. But I have no experience with any of their AF options. But I will be getting it to test it out.

Yes its available on ebay (2-3 weeks delivery).

Thank you. I'm not into pixel peeping either and never had an issue even with the cheapest focal reducers for photos (much less for video). 

Unfortunately I see the Kipon AF focal reducer for Fuji comes at Metabones level prices... Which is curious since the similar Sony version is at half price, hmmm.... 

Looking forward for your test reviews! 

• Super Members

Yeah they can be "expensive", but supply and demand I guess.

One thing that I love with my Viltrox EF-MFT besides it being much cheaper and sharper than Metabones (on one stop closed and forward) is that its super easy to adjust infinity/back focus. No tools required.

Bang for buck its the best speedbooster I've had. So fingers crossed on a Fuji version.

49 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yeah they can be "expensive", but supply and demand I guess.

One thing that I love with my Viltrox EF-MFT besides it being much cheaper and sharper than Metabones (on one stop closed and forward) is that its super easy to adjust infinity/back focus. No tools required.

Bang for buck its the best speedbooster I've had. So fingers crossed on a Fuji version.

I totally agree on the Viltrox. In fact I think this company is going places; I remember using their Four Thirds to m43 AF adapter a few years ago, and it was splendid esp. for the price (EM1mk1 + 14-54mm Oly lens). Now they have several adapters and even some ridiculously great LED lights. We had the L132  for a wedding Saturday, and I was blown away by the quality and performance for a little more than 25 euros (!!!). 

Not to hijack the thread: back to the XT3. My feeling is that this camera will be another good "excuse" for extensive adapted lens use for video. The XH1, IMHO, was a great attempt but not really there, due to lack of the proper tech at release time. The XT3 almost ticks all the boxes, and I can't wait for Fujifilm Greece guys to return from Photokina so they can provide me one for extensive testing. I have a short dance/performance film coming up and my plan is to shoot it exclusively on the XT3, in order to put it through its paces. It's a calculated risk but I'm confident enough in Fujifilm IQ and video-specific features to try it. Will report. 

16 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

You can get blown out highlights shooting with anything though. You have to expose for highlights to avoid that and raise shadows in post. Which not everyone wants to do and of course if the highlights are too bright the shadows may not be able to be lifted enough.

that's a gem: thank you

16 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I was shooting Eterna---it is a film simulation between the standard simulations and Fuji F-Log. Eterna is not, strictly speaking, a truly flat profile. F-log is what should be used on bright days like I was shooting on. It will give you a full 12 stops of dynamic range...not too shabby by any means.

The reason I didn't use F-log is because I was trying out these FD lenses for the first time and trying to properly judge exposure and dynamic range in F-log would only complicate things. I wasn't trying to demonstrate dynamic range. I was only trying to show how you can shoot non-electronic, fully manual lenses in the X-H1 because of the 3 axis internal stabilization the camera provides. If I'd been trying to do something finished and professional I would have shot more on a tripod, definitely shot in F-log, been more careful with my exposure over all, and graded things carefully in editing. But in this I was only trying to say you can get some pretty good images with a lot of character, very fast speeds, and not have to spend thousands of $$ on expensive lenses. That's why I mentioned the footage was shot on FDs...never before was possible on Fujifilm cameras. You can do the same with Rokinon cinema lenses--but they're heavier.

Thank you very much

Rolling shutter will be over 17ms if they’re having to crop 60p, plus it’s only 420 colour resolution, so seems they’re not quite there yet in readout speed. I’d prefer 12ms max on a video camera .

Samsung sensors seem to struggle with rolling shutter, if it is a Samsung sensor. 

Good progress by Fuji and good if 10bit is standard now in their cameras. Panasonic not able to C-AF means Fuji will attract a lot of users from GH5 I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, John Jay said:

Rolling shutter will be over 17ms if they’re having to crop 60p, plus it’s only 420 colour resolution, so seems they’re not quite there yet in readout speed. I’d prefer 12ms max on a video camera .

Samsung sensors seem to struggle with rolling shutter, if it is a Samsung sensor. 

Good progress by Fuji and good if 10bit is standard now in their cameras. Panasonic not able to C-AF means Fuji will attract a lot of users from GH5 I’m sure. 

Fuji never said 17ms, that came from nowhere, the official press release claims rolling shutter has been halved from X-T2/H1.

Also simple math, 60fps is approx 16ms per frame, so rolling shutter cannot exceed that.

8 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Fuji never said 17ms, that came from nowhere, the official press release claims rolling shutter has been halved from X-T2/H1.

Also simple math, 60fps is approx 16ms per frame, so rolling shutter cannot exceed that.

Fuji said exactly that you daft prick. This is from their site. Time for you to stop trolling about the X-T3, don’t you think?

A8C0DC9F-F7C0-4E6B-887D-242142B8A24A.png

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Wow, you are really passionate about rolling shutter! ?

Haha, no but I’m passionate about not having people here spreading misinformation about a lot of stuff that might be important to others. “Luke Mason” has been very prominent doing so wrt everything related to the XT-3. Almost getting the Ebrahim-vibe.

3 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

AF test with older primes compared to X-T2. X-T3 focuses faster with less hunting, also continuous AF seems to be more confident, however the transition between close and far subjects is not butter smooth. Might be better with newer lenses.

The F2 trio are the best bet for video if choosing primes. They are quiet and focus quickly and smoothly in the test that I have watched comparing them to the older and faster primes.