Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

9ms sounds a bit optimistic and Cinema5Dracula have been wrong before on their rolling shutter tests.

Fuji themselves claim 17ms in the fastest sensor mode, 4K 60p.

The GH5S is similar, maybe a bit less around 14-15ms.

The Alexa is around 10-12ms.

I highly doubt 24p is 9ms when Fuji themselves claim 17ms for 60p!!

Hmm, you're right with the C5D dudes being a little all over the place with the testing. I don't typically trust their DR measurements but I haven't really seen much of their rolling shutter tests or method to know either way. I'm not sure I'll have an XT3 right on launch but I'm super curious what you and others measure it at (and DR vs A7sII). I find that with the GH5 and GH5S it's as good as gone even handheld with IBIS off. All those years of shooting 5DII (the good old days) and A7sI and II have helped, though.

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

5 days is nothing. Anyone can wait. Wait for what? An announcement or some prototype presentation for a release in 6 months? For a much different color science than Fuji? It will be hard to not resist to this 10-bit Fuji then, though : -) 

Exactly. What is Pani came out with a FF camera? Would the colors be any better. Would the AF still be pure crap?!?!?

You bet your bipy the AF would suck.

I got my X-T3 yesterday--and the AF and eye AF are fantastic---no smoke and mirrors here. This camera and the technology are the Real Deal Lucile. 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

@wolf33d I don’t think the FF Panny will be out till March 2019. Which will still be sooner than many will be able to get their hands on the Z6, given Nikon’s track record.

The problem with the FF version (if it actually happens)is the problem with the MFT version: weird color--inferior to the Fuji---and AF that sucks to high heaven.

I just got my X-T3 yesterday and will be publishing a video in a few minutes that uses the X-T3 in a studio setting, and the eye AF and general AF is fantastic. And those Fuji colors. I really think they're better than Canon---better by a LOT!

This video is shot with the X-H1, but there is about three minutes of intro shot on the X-T3, which I just received yesterday. (I've got friends in high places).

The audio recording in the talking part was also recorded internally in the X-T3, using XLR microphones with an adapter---pretty damned clean audio if you ask me.

The zoo shots were done with the X-H1 using standard and speed booster adapters with Canon FD lenses. All zoo video is hand held.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

fuji-x-t3.jpg

10bit Fuji-digital-film Super 35mm for £1350 is a yes from me!

Read the full article

How would you know if z6 will be better then z7? I am guessing here but z6 might be using same crap sensor as Sony a7III. My two d850 produce amazing video images and i can go to ISO64 as well. That is another difference between z7 and z6. 

Just be cause z6 has less pixels it does not give it better image in video. It is 2018 now and processors and high megapixel sensors are far more friendly for video. 

BTW, i am sure DR on xt3 is not as good as on GH5s. Saw some tests. 

Nikon z7 and new Atomos is deadly full frame combo with Nikon log under $4K.

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

5 days is nothing. Anyone can wait. Wait for what? An announcement or some prototype presentation for a release in 6 months? For a much different color science than Fuji? It will be hard to not resist to this 10-bit Fuji then, though : -) 

Ever since the Gh5 was announced I was ready to go for it, I got it about a month after release... then half a year later the GH5s shows up, wish I waited a bit more!
So even if the new Panny FF is announced to be released in the near future I would very much rather wait and see if the "S" variant will show up not long after.

But we don't know if the rumored specs are true or what external recording has to offer yet, and if it is indeed priced at or over 3k then there plenty of cameras competing now.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Care to post a link to these tests?

The XT2 has at least 12 stops... good enough for most. XT3 should improve this further.

I would like to see those as well. Ive spent a lot of time this weekend trying to find some good DR tests of the GH5 compared to Fuji and found nothing.

The GH5 is on a massive sale now but not being able to confirm its DR is holding me back.

1 hour ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Exactly. What is Pani came out with a FF camera? Would the colors be any better. Would the AF still be pure crap?!?!?

You bet your bipy the AF would suck.

I got my X-T3 yesterday--and the AF and eye AF are fantastic---no smoke and mirrors here. This camera and the technology are the Real Deal Lucile. 

The problem with the FF version (if it actually happens)is the problem with the MFT version: weird color--inferior to the Fuji---and AF that sucks to high heaven.

I just got my X-T3 yesterday and will be publishing a video in a few minutes that uses the X-T3 in a studio setting, and the eye AF and general AF is fantastic. And those Fuji colors. I really think they're better than Canon---better by a LOT!

This video is shot with the X-H1, but there is about three minutes of intro shot on the X-T3, which I just received yesterday. (I've got friends in high places).

The audio recording in the talking part was also recorded internally in the X-T3, using XLR microphones with an adapter---pretty damned clean audio if you ask me.

The zoo shots were done with the X-H1 using standard and speed booster adapters with Canon FD lenses. All zoo video is hand held.

Thanks for the tests, Tom. Not gonna lie though, the bokeh in those zoo shots looks pretty darn busy - not very attractive.

1 hour ago, avrofilmvideo said:

How would you know if z6 will be better then z7? I am guessing here but z6 might be using same crap sensor as Sony a7III. My two d850 produce amazing video images and i can go to ISO64 as well. That is another difference between z7 and z6. 

Just be cause z6 has less pixels it does not give it better image in video. It is 2018 now and processors and high megapixel sensors are far more friendly for video. 

BTW, i am sure DR on xt3 is not as good as on GH5s. Saw some tests. 

Nikon z7 and new Atomos is deadly full frame combo with Nikon log under $4K.

You obviously have no

idea what you are talking about. I don’t need to provide evidence, since we’re supposed to just take your word as gospel.

3 hours ago, JR Lipartito said:

Why only 4:2:0 when recording 10bit internally instead of 4:2:2? Will the blocky chroma subsampling shoot 10bit color in the foot ? I'm really interested to know which affects overall image quality more, the color depth or chroma subsampling.

Current ARM processors can only handle hardware accelerated HEVC Main 10 Version 1 up to 10bit 420, to get 10bit 422 or even higher (12bit and/or 444) you need version 2 which is not yet widely supported.

"extremely good Eye-Detect AF which stays clued to a face like Dual Pixel AF does but not the ears" do you mean that xt3 has eye AF in video mode in 4k  that can remain focused on the nearest eye without hunting with a fast lens wide open under f1.8 for a head close up framing so it blurs the ears and the nose but keep the nearest eye in focus even if the person moves back and forth on a chair -  it would be the first time i see a camera with such a great video feature.

15 minutes ago, amanieux said:

"extremely good Eye-Detect AF which stays clued to a face like Dual Pixel AF does but not the ears" do you mean that xt3 has eye AF in video mode in 4k  that can remain focused on the nearest eye without hunting with a fast lens wide open under f1.8 for a head shot framing so it blurs the ears and the nose but keep the nearest eye in focus even if the person moves back and forth on a chair -  it would be the first time i see a camera with such a great video feature.

Who are you quoting? I’m having trouble keeping up here. ?