Jump to content

EOS R official video specs discussion


Recommended Posts

I watched that CVP review that @Yurolov posted and I am pretty excited about the manual focus guide. I didn’t realize how that function worked but now that I get the concept, it feels like a must have. As much as I look forward to the DPAF, there are times that I want to use a vintage lens and I have learned to rely on focus peaking. But as good as focus peaking is, it can be off a little with a lot of cameras.

Also has there been any good 1080p samples posted online?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NX1 is actually more advanced with H.265, 6K readout, 1080/120fps and it is 5 years old.

Nikon Z7 has it for breakfast. About the only improvement over the 5D Mark IV seems to be substituting MJPEG for H.264. Not that it was overdue or anything! https://www.eoshd.com/2018/09/her

I wouldn't hold my breath. Canon slapped a 8-bit 4:2:0 codec in their $7,500 C200.. no way they're going 10-bit on their entry MILC. That's not the Canon way.

Posted Images

Is the screen E-Ink?

I realised there is no PASM-dial and no marked controls like on Fujifilm. So does the screen show which mode the camera is on also when turned off? Otherwise very strange choice of ergonomics with just a power dial on the left. Nikon’s design with a mode dial there makes more sense to me.

I love the second control ring on the lens. Almost want to buy an R just for that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Castorp said:

Is the screen E-Ink?

I realised there is no PASM-dial and no marked controls like on Fujifilm. So does the screen show which mode the camera is on also when turned off? Otherwise very strange choice of ergonomics with just a power dial on the left. Nikon’s design with a mode dial there makes more sense to me.

 

top display does show camera mode icon when camera is off. you can check it out in the above video at 1:00.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its a very "pro-camera-thing" to not have a PASM-dial. Personally Im not a fan. I prefer the dial like on a 5D over lets say a Nikon D5/500 or Canon 1DX.

I reckon a third solution which hasn't really been done yet could be the right way. The mode dial is a bit outdated and have a lot of crap on them. The Fuji film camera dials are a bit style-over-substance.

There is no point having the movie mode on the mode dial. Should be a lever on the back like Canon and Nikon have. Because it should always be ONE simple motion to go between stills and video mode and visa versa, in the blink of an eye. If there is anything between, say, Aperture priority mode and Movie mode on the mode dial, you're going through 2 to 5 rotations, which is much worse than a simple flick of a single toggle.

It seems pretty clear that if you want to shoot in Aperture priority mode then you only want control over the aperture. Having ISO and shutter as manual control dials allows you to set them both to auto and hey, you're now in A mode.

But the problem is, neither tend to have a quick way to set to auto. Auto should not be a position on the dial, one position of say, 30. It should be an instant-toggle on/off switch.

The shutter and ISO dial on Fuji's cameras needs a double finger pinch to rotate, or lift, which is also daft and fiddly compared to a Canon DSLR where you just press a button once then move your finger on the control it's already resting on.

So better dials and a quick auto toggle, plus stills/video mode lever, would consign the mode dial to history. Unless you really needed the Baby and Food modes :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to think the mode dial was an incredible waste of camera real estate. But with modern hybrid cameras I think it is far more relevant. I like the one on the A7riii (apart from the ridiculous push button unlock.)

The main reason is the custom settings (C1, C2, C3). I set C1 to 4k video settings and C2 to 1080, 120 video settings. So switching between stills modes (A, S, M) and video (4k, 1080) is all pretty easy and convenient. I also use S&Q a fair bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I reckon a third solution which hasn't really been done yet could be the right way. The mode dial is a bit outdated and have a lot of crap on them. The Fuji film camera dials are a bit style-over-substance.

There is no point having the movie mode on the mode dial. Should be a lever on the back like Canon and Nikon have. Because it should always be ONE simple motion to go between stills and video mode and visa versa, in the blink of an eye. If there is anything between, say, Aperture priority mode and Movie mode on the mode dial, you're going through 2 to 5 rotations, which is much worse than a simple flick of a single toggle.

It seems pretty clear that if you want to shoot in Aperture priority mode then you only want control over the aperture. Having ISO and shutter as manual control dials allows you to set them both to auto and hey, you're now in A mode.

But the problem is, neither tend to have a quick way to set to auto. Auto should not be a position on the dial, one position of say, 30. It should be an instant-toggle on/off switch.

The shutter and ISO dial on Fuji's cameras needs a double finger pinch to rotate, or lift, which is also daft and fiddly compared to a Canon DSLR where you just press a button once then move your finger on the control it's already resting on.

So better dials and a quick auto toggle, plus stills/video mode lever, would consign the mode dial to history. Unless you really needed the Baby and Food modes :)

People actually use movie mode on cameras?

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, Marekich said:

720p in 2018? Looks horrible by today's standards. (don't confuse content for image quality)

Is there a version of this video in 1080p? I suppose there isn't 4K version because of rolling shutter, and they wanted to show action.

I believe there is, but they revert to lower resolutions on the fast motion parts, presumably because of rolling shutter issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s gotta be one of the dumbest articles I’ve read this afternoon.

To sum up: Canon knows its market; its customers are 99% stills shooters who don’t necessarily want Canon investing in video functionality; and if you do happen to be a filmmaker, buy Nikon, Fuji or Sony instead -  because Canon’s so big they won’t notice anyway!

And wait for the clincher: Canon will release a camera with more video capability in the future.

The article sounds like it was written by a fifth-grader.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked Caleb's point in the video above: what if Canon had released an APS-c body with 4K, DPAF, fully articulated screen, headphone jack and 4K 10 bit 422 out?
Somehow sounds better, video folks might have been less dissappointed than they are now, but it's kinda the (video)camera the R is atm...

(Still no way I am going to get it though haha... )

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had it been an APSC camera the lenses would have been smaller and cheaper. The camera would have been smaller and cheaper too. I’m sure the video from the R looks fantastic but it doesn’t make sense as a hybrid camera to have that kind of crop. I mostly take stills and I always try to learn to visualise my focal lengths before raising the camera. That’s near impossible if my 50mm is no longer a 50mm when I switch to video. If I would buy the R I would use it as a 1080p camera only, for full sensor read out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
17 hours ago, jonpais said:

That’s gotta be one of the dumbest articles I’ve read this afternoon.

To sum up: Canon knows its market; its customers are 99% stills shooters who don’t necessarily want Canon investing in video functionality; and if you do happen to be a filmmaker, buy Nikon, Fuji or Sony instead -  because Canon’s so big they won’t notice anyway!

And wait for the clincher: Canon will release a camera with more video capability in the future.

The article sounds like it was written by a fifth-grader.

LOOOOOL

That article really makes me want to run out and drop $3000 on a full frame lens so I can enjoy it in 1.8x crop.

No, not annoying at all. NOOO.

I like the jibe at me as well in the article, even though he doesn't mention EOSHD, I know who he's talking about!

Also this gem..

"video production was not a focus for this camera"

Did he see ANY of the marketing on Canon's own website? They bang on and on about video in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

He should have filmed the video whilst sipping a mojito from a deckchair on a beach whilst wearing a Canon baseball cap on backwards, it would have about the same credibility.

Yes let me get my money out once more, I am so eager to spend $2300 on a 1.8x crop 4K camera with no IBIS and lenses with no wide angle end. BARGAIN!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...