Fuji X-T3 has 4K60P and 10 bit

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Django said:

full announcement Sept.6 (day after Canon ?) DOA anyone?

I don't know, if they have really killer video specs for a lower price than Canon, Fuji could do really well. None of us really believe Canon will have 4k60p or 10 bit.

Which makes me think, 4k60 at 10 bit seems like H.265 territory to me--could it be that Fuji is the one to implement an efficient codec?

5 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

In short term future,I think everyone will have 10bit 4K 60P-120P,even raw  or 6K,10bit just solve all the color banning issues,but the sensor size will be the only factor that decide how good the image really is!

I think you're right on the first part. Soon, every camera will shoot very high spec video. However, the quality of each camera will be so good, the advantages of larger sensors won't matter and we'll be back to decisions based on ergonomics, lens investments, and brand loyalty.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It sounds like the new sensor will have at least 1 more stop of DR, coupled with 10 bit, this could mean we shot Eterna (or a new profile) with around 13+ stops.... Salivating. 

Without new tech, I don't see how they get 1+ stops of DR. Nothing in the last few years has even come close to improving DR that much. The d800 is 6.5 years old, the d850's DR is pretty much identical. I'd be impressed if they squeezed 1/3 of a stop out of a new sensor. I don't think the admin on Fuji Rumors is being realistic, especially since Fuji's have less DR than their counterparts using the same sensor like the a6500 because of their different ISO method (what many call cheating).

That aside, the 4k60p and 10-bit rumors are encouraging. Though if it shares the sensor with a new Sony body, it will be interesting to see what they bring. Also, I'd bet this will be part of a Nikon Z mirrorless DX camera. FF gets all the attention, but it sounds like the new APS-c sensor will make waves.

Chris

• Administrators

Fuji should have a full frame option. Yes, medium format is very nice, but none of those cameras have proper video... yet.

X-T3 is a small fish APS-C in what is about to become a sea of full frame sharks.

When you can buy an A7 III for only a BIT more money, you have to question if high-end APS-C has much of a future.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

What do you mean "without new tech"?

It's getting a new sensor and new processor.

New as in something different - like an organic sensor. Just going BSI with a revised architecture and a slight MP bump isn't going to yield a significant DR increase. It hasn't in any other sensor over the last few years. We seem to be near the max of the current silicon architecture in terms of DR.

Chris

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

New as in something different - like an organic sensor. Just going BSI with a revised architecture and a slight MP bump isn't going to yield a significant DR increase. It hasn't in any other sensor over the last few years. 

Sony has sensors from 12 stops to over 15. Their stacked sensors are built for speed, at the expense of DR. The new Fuji will not be a stacked sensor. 

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t3-has-bsi-sensor-but-not-stacked-for-improved-dynamic-range-a-good-news-poll/

15 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Sony has sensors from 12 stops to over 15. Their stacked sensors are built for speed, at the expense of DR. The new Fuji will not be a stacked sensor. 

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t3-has-bsi-sensor-but-not-stacked-for-improved-dynamic-range-a-good-news-poll/

Yes, but that still doesn't change the fact that going to BSI isn't likely to increase DR by any measurable amount. It didn't with the 1" sensor and it didn't with the FF sensor. How is that going to be any different with the new APS-c sensor when it'll likely be using the same architecture as Sony's newest FF BSI sensors? There has been no increase in DR on the FF side, do you really think APS-c is suddenly going to jump a stop?

Chris

22 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

What are you guys filming that makes S35 so redundant? I think it's a great format, you can have smaller, lighter lenses, but still get very shallow DOF. 

I really love my NX 45mm 1.8f lens, even in that lens I sometimes have to stop down to bring some shapes into form. I seriously do not get all these new 2f zoom and 0.95f full frame primes, when you have excellent new, and very sensitive sensors.

For specialized uses I welcome their existence, just do not care for so much additional size and weight, and money (cost).

• Super Members
On 9/1/2018 at 2:00 PM, ntblowz said:

Rangefinder style GFX50R leaked.. hmm

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-gfx-50-r-first-image-leaked/

There is understandably a lot of buzz about the upcoming cameras from all the other companies - and from Fuji itself with the X-T3 - but I've got to say that this one intrigues me more than any of them.

17 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Yes, but that still doesn't change the fact that going to BSI isn't likely to increase DR by any measurable amount. It didn't with the 1" sensor and it didn't with the FF sensor. How is that going to be any different with the new APS-c sensor when it'll likely be using the same architecture as Sony's newest FF BSI sensors? There has been no increase in DR on the FF side, do you really think APS-c is suddenly going to jump a stop?

Chris

The XT2 uses an x-trans sensor and has around 12 stops... The XT3 will be using a BSI sensor that has been touted as having higher DR. Considering the A6500 has this type of sensor and has around 13.5 stops in raw... It's possible,

Anyway, only 4 days to wait and we will find out. 

44 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

What are you guys filming that makes S35 so redundant? I think it's a great format, you can have smaller, lighter lenses, but still get very shallow DOF. 

Nothing wrong with S35 but the latest gen FF bodies from Sony, Nikon & Canon all offer a S35 mode so they're really more versatile imo.

Also there is a 1.7x crop in 4K on Fujis so it isn't really S35 and 1080p has moire/aliasing issues. I'm really hoping XT3 sorts that.

The moire is only noticeable in 1080/120

But the point still remains... What is being shot on FF that makes S35 so redundant?

I'd like to see a FF fuji too, for stills and having more options is great and all... But I don't really get the clamour for FF video. 99% of hollywood films have been shot in this S35. 

49 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The XT2 uses an x-trans sensor and has around 12 stops... The XT3 will be using a BSI sensor that has been touted as having higher DR. Considering the A6500 has this type of sensor and has around 13.5 stops in raw... It's possible,

A6500 uses the same sensor as A6300, it's not BSI.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

All I'm saying is lower expectations a bit.

This is the DR chart from Photon to Photos for the d810/d850, and the a7r/a7r3. Note the differences, or lack of. The big change between the earlier/later models was BSI and new processors on each. The a7r2/3 got a smidge better at higher ISO's, and each got new processing over its predecessor which dramatically improved things like AF and shooting speed. Its logical to expect the a similar result from a new APS-c sensor. There are benefits to BSI since it moves the circuitry to the back of the sensor.

A more realistic expectation is slightly better performance at higher ISO's and maybe a slight bump at base ISO since Fuji will now go down to 160, Sony is about 1/3 stop better with the same measurements. Though I'm a bit skeptical on that one, it will be interesting to see if 160 is more than Fuji playing games with ISO numbers. Once the new Sony is out it will be easy to compare.

Chris

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.43.02 PM.png