Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Daniel

New music video for British legends "The Damned", shot on GH5

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Very well done Oliver and congratulations. Looks big time. No one would watch that and guess GH5. 

Nice. 

Cheers sir. 

I don't like everything about the aesthetic, however it's very liberating to be able to make great images with this camera. Plus the GH5 is good enough for the big guns. Arguing over which camera is best these days isn't even worth the debate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Plus the GH5 is good enough for the big guns. Arguing over which camera is best these days isn't even worth the debate. 

Is this an accomplishment of some sort? An anomoly?  Aren't  IPhones, and gopros also used?  The "big guns" could deem dancing around the security cam at your local Tesco adequate, no?  As you mention, you dont like everything about the asthetic.

The aesthetic an imaging system provides is whats being debated day in and out on every forum. The dismissal of these arguments, in which you yourself particitate, accomplishes what?

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work Oliver. I was wondering why one of the ladies was almost left ungraded but it made sense once I finished the clip ;) 

Other that the colors there was some nice footwork as well. 

2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Arguing over which camera is best these days isn't even worth the debate. 

Wish we could keep this as a motto for this forum. It would make this place more pleasant and then we could spend a bit more time discussing actual cinematography :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The video was shot with a single GH5 (with a little A6500 in there) in 10 hours, edited, graded and effects done in 4 days (by me).

Excellent. What's more even impressive is the turn around and how it was shot.

Please share details of lighting and setup.

Thanks in advance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The video looks really great, and to be shot and finished by a single person in such a short time is quite an achievement. But the image still looks "digital" to me, which is mostly the main problem with ANYTHING but ARRI, under artificial lighting. My question is, for such a professional project (and I know how cash trapped labels are these days), isn't there an additional 700 quid for the overall budget, to rent an ALEXA Mini (includes set of primes, MB, FF, Sticks etc) for one day? An AMIRA is even cheaper to rent. Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I'd be willing to bet that fans of The Damned wouldn't notice a difference in the GH5 and an Alexa. Except maybe that <1% of cinephiles.

This. You'll generally find that those making the most noise about gear make very little themselves of any worth to anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/04/2018 at 11:59 AM, Oliver Daniel said:

The video was shot with a single GH5 (with a little A6500 in there) in 10 hours, edited, graded and effects done in 4 days (by me). 

 

Great stuff. What’s the location?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.4.2018 at 1:59 PM, Oliver Daniel said:

The video was shot with a single GH5 (with a little A6500 in there) in 10 hours, edited, graded and effects done in 4 days (by me). 

The new album (last I heard) was at No.7 in the official UK chart. 

I'm a big fan of what Panasonic has done with this camera. 

That said, the shining star of this video is the band. :glasses:

 

Great work, nice images! This was done under Jäger Music right? I noticed the Jäger logo in the beginning. Could you share what kind of budget that Jäger Music was providing if involved. But I understand if you can’t share that information.

Shot on what glass?

My experience to fight against this a lot talked about ”digital look” is done by choice of lenses to use. Quite obvious. But that, lighting and art design makes a big difference. My recent musicvideo shot with GH5 with Kowa anamorphic:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, sam said:

Is this an accomplishment of some sort? An anomoly?  Aren't  IPhones, and gopros also used?  The "big guns" could deem dancing around the security cam at your local Tesco adequate, no?  As you mention, you dont like everything about the asthetic.

The aesthetic an imaging system provides is whats being debated day in and out on every forum. The dismissal of these arguments, in which you yourself particitate, accomplishes what?

The post is just a demonstration of the GH5 being used for a music video. 

iPhones and GoPro's are very capable devices, but are certainly not the right tool for the job on this one! 

"Big guns" often require higher end cameras, but "lower" end tools have proven to be more than enough on many productions. 

The aesthetic I don't like isn't the GH5, there's a few lighting / grading tweaks I would of liked, maybe I'll replace the video with the tweaks given time, not that anybody would notice!

On 4/27/2018 at 4:48 PM, Don Kotlos said:

Excellent work Oliver. I was wondering why one of the ladies was almost left ungraded but it made sense once I finished the clip ;) 

Glad you got it! 

On 4/27/2018 at 4:54 PM, sanveer said:

Excellent. What's more even impressive is the turn around and how it was shot.

Please share details of lighting and setup.

Thanks in advance. 

 

Bulk of the lighting was balanced via a lighting desk which controlled the entire stage, took a while to get it right for video use. 

The holograms were filmed against a Chromaflex on location, using Vinten Flowtech 75 tripod. (awesome gear!)

The GH5 was shot in V-log, monitored using the standard Panasonic Rec.709 LUT. 

B-roll was Sony A6500 shooting in S-log 2, using the 18-105mm f4. 

The portable lighting was Aputure Lightstorm and Lupolux LED's. 

Lenses were Sigma 18-35mm, 50mm ART. A few Olympus 40-150mm f2.8. 

Stock footage and voices were supplied via the public domain. 

Edit, grade, and VFX all done in FCPX - using Chromatic for the grade (FAR FAR better than Color Finale). 

Gimbal was the Zhiyun Crane V1. 

 

23 hours ago, jindrich said:

The video looks really great, and to be shot and finished by a single person in such a short time is quite an achievement. But the image still looks "digital" to me, which is mostly the main problem with ANYTHING but ARRI, under artificial lighting. My question is, for such a professional project (and I know how cash trapped labels are these days), isn't there an additional 700 quid for the overall budget, to rent an ALEXA Mini (includes set of primes, MB, FF, Sticks etc) for one day? An AMIRA is even cheaper to rent. Thx.

I could of softened the sharpening a bit. But didn't. Woops.

There was no budget for an Arri I'm afraid, plus a larger setup would have slowed down the process a lot. We didn't have a big crew, only 4-5 inc make up artist! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kieran said:

I don't much like the hyper-real, ultra-crisp digital look of the GH5, but other than that, tremendous job - and I can't imagine how you managed to do all the post in 4 days. Well done. 

I'm known to be very fast at cutting music videos, had a lot of practice really. 

Plus I'd say FCPX was a huge influence - the multi-cam is brilliant, the Chromatic grading plugin is brilliant, the effects and plugin support is brilliant. People still dismissing this program need to grow up. 

3 hours ago, Davey said:

This. You'll generally find that those making the most noise about gear make very little themselves of any worth to anybody.

Indeed. Just make stuff. 

1 hour ago, j-oc said:

Great stuff. What’s the location?

Koko in London. 

43 minutes ago, Teemu said:

Great work, nice images! This was done under Jäger Music right? I noticed the Jäger logo in the beginning. Could you share what kind of budget that Jäger Music was providing if involved. But I understand if you can’t share that information.

Shot on what glass?

My experience to fight against this a lot talked about ”digital look” is done by choice of lenses to use. Quite obvious. But that, lighting and art design makes a big difference. My recent music video shot with GH5 with Kowa anamorphic:

 

I'm not sure I can share budget information on a forum. I could get in trouble. 

Jagermeister did sponsor yes. 

Glass mentioned above. 

I feel you in the vintage glass. Love using it, however they can be frustrating to use after prolonged use. Still vibe more off the images more though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×