Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

43 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes the codec's great, but nobody seems to be considering the whole package here, because there's no IBIS, no EVF, autofocus performance is yet to be proven, the battery life is miserable and the files will be VERY large at their highest quality.

You have to measure the EXACT difference in the final graded image between BRAW on this, and something like 10bit LOG on the X-T3.

I think for all the codec niceness the difference will be smaller than people think. Now ask yourself if it is worth the hassle of the strange form factor, no articulated screen, need to rig it up with EVF, external bits and a stabiliser...

It is also sensor-limited. We're not talking about a sensor as good as the X-T3 or A7 III. And the slow-mo is an even bigger crop.

Sure, I liked what ProRes and RAW brought to the image with the last Pocket camera, certainly in the creamy shadows and in low light.

But it was as good in 10bit ProRes as it was in Cinema DNG RAW.

So 10bit H.265 at the same bitrate as ProRes with Fuji F-LOG from a larger BSI 6K sensor with full pixel readout (possibly Samsung) has the potential to be just as good if not better.

Not to mention the fact it is much easier to go full frame on the S35 sensor with a Speed Booster than to turn the Pocket 4K sensor into no-crop.

Yeah Im a sucker for the fuji colour science. But braw is an different beast entirenly then prores(those raw sliders sure are sweet), and prores is already far better then h264 or h265 in the editing room. So codec wise the pocket will win hands down and will win you time in the editing room. 

This footage of the x-t3 is not that bad. But it seems to be missing something colorwise, not sure what but those skintones dont look that pleasing. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Maybe they were just being artistic,  but having multiple dead people in product video is bit of a first to my recollection.  That said the skin tones of the living were too muted for my tastes regardless of the artistic intent.  In the comments the author said that it was not the final color grade and may not even the final edit once Fuji gets a look at the content.

12 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

This footage of the x-t3 is not that bad. But it seems to be missing something colorwise, not sure what but those skintones dont look that pleasing. 

It totally missed tonal differentiation, plus trying to desaturate  colors to the max extend just makes thing even worse... Look at conclusion shot with titled "coming soon... skint tones on faces are exactly as yellow as wall of the house, stone fence or dusty planks... All at all, at least very strange choice for A Memento of life :)

2 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

I thought that video looked impressive, and extremely impressive when you consider it was shot on a 1500 dollar camera, but it also looks to start falling apart slightly, especially in the skintones. That just happens when you grade 10 bit footage this hard.

The lighting and production value are excellent and this might give the video the positive edge. But if you look at the daylight wide shots It does not look cinematic at all.

32 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah Im a sucker for the fuji colour science. But braw is an different beast entirenly then prores(those raw sliders sure are sweet), and prores is already far better then h264 or h265 in the editing room. So codec wise the pocket will win hands down and will win you time in the editing room. 

This footage of the x-t3 is not that bad. But it seems to be missing something, not sure what. 

Crap, for some reason I thought that video was going to be Ursa footage. When I saw Fujifilm X at the end of the video, my jaw dropped.

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hmm the colour looks off, not the faault of grrade nooooooo :)

Well this video sure will have costed plenty of penny's on director, dop, location, actors,... in those cases you naturally asume they also had a decent grader :)
But apparantly its a rough color grade, well see how much they can improve it as Nick's other video's are looking far superior :)

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

I think it goes pretty far beyond "not bad". And yes it's "missing something colorwise" - the grade. :)

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's surprisingly low, if you consider how many people use Adobe products. 

It's the most they've had on that website for any current feature request. Here's the link: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33864517-support-for-prores-raw?tracking_code=f1fd9a4ffb3ab15db819b004dfd11282

Correction: There are currently 676 votes 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Out of curiosity, how good is Adobe with updates?

Not the greatest. I know they just announced a fall update that resolves a few color management problems they've had for quite some time, but I also know a lot of people (Myself included) have switched over to Davinci Resolve because of adobe's slow update schedule and instability. Blackmagic seems to implement new features faster than adobe can fix their old ones. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 19.54.04.png

Only a temporary grade apparently.

It's some good looking footage, which shows a very beefy codec in action.

I just don't like purposefully 'dead' look to the skin tones, it looks like a zombie film.

Apart from the bad color grade (Seems like they forgot to apply a Rec2020 to Rec709 (both gamma 2.4) conversion beforehand) this looks absolutely breathtaking!! So much resolution, but still smooth...

39 minutes ago, Joek said:

Blackmagic should have waited before releasing it to other NLEs. Which would have made a lot of users swap instantly to resolve. 

57 minutes ago, Jim Giberti said:

I think it goes pretty far beyond "not bad". And yes it's "missing something colorwise" - the grade. :)

Yeah missing is a big word. Curious how much they can tweak it. As other cameras would have nice skintones straight out of the camera. From all camera release videos canon nailed it with their original c300 video by vincent laforet, that really looked like a film. This is not quite in the same ballpark. And yeah the c300 was 10 times as costly but its also an old camera by todays standards.