Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I'm with you there, this shot was great - not too sure about the funky colours for the sunset (colourist's choice).

 

35 minutes ago, Snuff said:

Finally, a soft organic picture, but the sun, glare looks overdone. We need to carefully select the plot and shooting parameters to fit into the DR.

eee.jpg

This won't be a concern ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Snuff said:

Finally, a soft organic picture, but the sun, glare looks overdone. We need to carefully select the plot and shooting parameters to fit into the DR.

 

 

eee.jpg

To add upon my previous response on Resolve’s Highlight correction in the Raw Tab, here are some frames from ML Raw video I took with an old Minolta lens. When I processed the footage through the Footage App, this was the best I could bring down the highlights...

F0AA183B-06A5-46A0-B67D-C63940756F0D.jpeg

Bringing the footage into Resolve using the Highlight correction, I was able to pull this out of it...

190F9FDA-042C-4066-94D7-C2D611868299.jpeg

That feature is magical. I don’t know if it would have helped with that footage if it was shot in Raw, but I think it may have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been working on learning color correction with the new-ish tools in FCPx 10.4, so I'm using the P4k samples as grading practice. I'll admit I'm a total novice, but I hope I'm heading in the right direction. The red jersey in the MTB video was way hot, so I pulled it down a bit. The balloon was tough with the sun in one part of the shot. The bugs gave me the heebie-jeebies. Cool stuff, hopefully more to come. Thanks Blackmagic for the samples.

Chris

 

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 11.57.44 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After so many FF mirrorless cameras coming, especially A7SIII and Panasonic with great chance of having 10 bit and 4K60p becoming standard, I canceled my preorder for the BM. 
I would rather trade RAW against FF and good AF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sage said:

Question - is there interest in a solution to precisely match the GH5 to the P4K (and vice-verse)?
(would be indistinguishable from the other, no matter what is filmed)

Unless the gh5 spits out raw and bypasses the built in noise reduction and sharpening I would be surprised if indistinguishable could be achieved. I'd imagine a very well made lut could get the colour close however and that would be most welcome regardless 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robin said:

Unless the gh5 spits out raw and bypasses the built in noise reduction and sharpening I would be surprised if indistinguishable could be achieved. I'd imagine a very well made lut could get the colour close however and that would be most welcome regardless 😀

I'm really excited for the P4K for this reason. The lack of IBIS is the only factor that keeps me from being a complete P4K fan.

The OLPF settings counter sharpening in the 5 nicely, but the purity of the P4K material will be a thrill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sage said:

Question - is there interest in a solution to precisely match the GH5 to the P4K (and vice-verse)?
(would be indistinguishable from the other, no matter what is filmed)

Yup.

I'm selling my GH5 for the P4K. But I love my GH5 and have thought that I'd love to have one of each for the sake of IBIS. Perhaps I'll pick one up again.

Btw, I knew you were going to offer this, and I've many times thought you should create transformations from many different cameras to each other. I'm guessing there's a good deal of time and work that goes into that, but you could eventually build up an ecosystem that would make matching nearly any camera to any camera nearly effortless, and valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Robin said:

Unless the gh5 spits out raw and bypasses the built in noise reduction and sharpening I would be surprised if indistinguishable could be achieved. 

We will see flying pigs before...

3 minutes ago, Sage said:

I'm really excited for the P4K for this reason. The lack of IBIS is the only factor that keeps me from being a complete P4K fan.

The OLPF settings counter sharpening in the 5 nicely, but the purity of the P4K material will be a thrill

Yh, seems like the ProRes footage is free of any sharpening and noise reduction as well. Really promising. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sage said:

I'm really excited for the P4K for this reason. The lack of IBIS is the only factor that keeps me from being a complete P4K fan.

The OLPF settings counter sharpening in the 5 nicely, but the purity of the P4K material will be a thrill

I'm aware of your work on the gh5 but have not tested it myself. In truth I was thinking about it but I have started using my Fuji xh1 for still and video most of the time now, I find the eterna profile with sharpness and noise reduction turned down to to have a more pleasing, less 'processed' look.... The same reason I'm still looking at the p4k I guess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

there's a good deal of time and work that goes into that

That's the challenge. The P4K is definitely something special among cameras to me

28 minutes ago, deezid said:

Yh, seems like the ProRes footage is free of any sharpening and noise reduction as well. Really promising. :)

The datarates for 1080p DNG are great, but the downscale is key, and I hope they will do it well to ProRes (though I know you go 4K all the way)

29 minutes ago, Robin said:

I'm aware of your work on the gh5 but have not tested it myself. In truth I was thinking about it but I have started using my Fuji xh1 for still and video most of the time now, I find the eterna profile with sharpness and noise reduction turned down to to have a more pleasing, less 'processed' look.... The same reason I'm still looking at the p4k I guess 

Ah the Fuji. That's the other one that excites me; if only they would get 10 bit*. Eterna - the film stock - was my absolute favorite when they were still making it (over V3)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A comment from vimeo that explains a possible reason of the clipped highlights in this video:

Quote

Zebuk

Thank you for shooting these, man. Just a quick note from an original bmpcc user. You should try shooting the day scenes (sunset etc) with a higher iso. When you drop the iso you drop the noise, but you also drop the dynamic range from the highlights. It would have been nice to really see that sunset with 2 more stops of dynamic range that you lost going to 100 iso. It seems counter intunitive, but it really is how the camera works best in high contrast situations. Thanks again man!

eee.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With daul native ISO's it should have the most dynamic range at ISO 400 and ISO 3200 - correct?

So the assumption is shooting at ISO 100 would reduce the dynamic range and the noise by the same amount - 2 stops?  

Hmmm... I would like to see some tests that illustrate the reality of this assumption or disprove this assumption relationship between ISO and dynamic range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

With daul native ISO's it should have the most dynamic range at ISO 400 and ISO 3200 - correct?

So the assumption is shooting at ISO 100 would reduce the dynamic range and the noise by the same amount - 2 stops?  

Hmmm... I would like to see some tests that illustrate the reality of this assumption or disprove this assumption relationship between ISO and dynamic range.

400 ISO is the BMPCC 4K's native ISO. if you go below that in video you are loosing DR. Just like SLog in a Sony A7s. Anything below 3200 ISO and you are loosing DR on the original. That is it's native ISO for video. So yeah you are loosing out DR wise at 100 ISO for video. Even for a frame grab in stills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The assumption I was questioning is if there is a equal relationship between shooting two stops lower and actaually loosing the same number of stops of dynamic range.  The post stated that shooting at ISO 100 and you will loose 2 stops of DR.  Tests will show if this is actually the case... also because of the lower noise floor st  lower ISOs you could underexpose a bit and bring it back in post, which would compensate for loosing some dr/headroom in the highlights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

also because of the lower noise floor st  lower ISOs you could underexpose a bit and bring it back in post, which would compensate for loosing some dr/headroom in the highlights. 

Yeah, but now you are just doing what would happen if you exposed at (let's say) 400 normally, instead of 100. Between ISO 100-800 no gain is applied by the sensor, only the curve is shifted. In raw this doesn't matter, because you CAN underexpose at ISO 100 and just apply the 400 curve without losing anything. However, due to the compression applied by prores (which is pretty good, don't get me wrong), you'll likely have less shadow detail/more noise when you pull up ISO 100 in post to match ISO 400 as opposed to just having shot at ISO 400 to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...