Panasonic To Announce GH5 Variant In January

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

I have zero invested in the m4/3 system but plenty of M-mounts ready if a really sweet m4/3 video camera should show up.

You might so because that's the best system available out there by far IMHO.

USSR is not here anymore or someone could easily have in mind to make all the other ones disappear from the market shelves... :-D

My prediction, although this isn’t “news”, just fun and speculation. 

Certain: 

The new model will very nearly cement M43 as a serious cinematography format, finally. 

Pretty Sure-Ish: 

Massively improved low light, but not A7S level. 

Better DR and highlight roll off. 

A couple of exclusive new recording options, hopefully one will be 10 bit 4K 50/60p. 

Maybe Dreaming: 

A faster readout for improved video autofocus, but only a bit better, still not close enough to A6500 or Canon DPAF. 

A Very Far Fetched Surprise:

RAW recording, maybe limited to 4K 24p, 1080p 50/60 and anamorphic. 

An autonomous blockbuster cinematic visuals mode. Switch it on, and bingo! Everything looks incredible. No experience necessary. 

48 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

RAW recording, maybe limited to 4K 24p, 1080p 50/60 and anamorphic

Like @Mattias Burling I have a bunch of bodiless MFT lenses/adapters.  If the GH5S had RAW, even at 1080 30p, I'd sell almost everything video related I have to get it.  I'd probably shoot 8bit video most of the time, but having RAW for those special moments would be worth it.

I might also consider it if it shot 8K, which would give perfect 4K in my book (after debayering).    

44 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Naw. They could have done this with the GH4 if that was the case. Canon can get nice highlight roll off on even their low end DSLRs.

@Neumann Films GH5-S stills potray what feels like better highlight roll off (or the lighting and grading skill has achieved this). 

16 minutes ago, maxotics said:

Like @Mattias Burling I have a bunch of bodiless MFT lenses/adapters.  If the GH5S had RAW, even at 1080 30p, I'd sell almost everything video related I have to get it.  I'd probably shoot 8bit video most of the time, but having RAW for those special moments would be worth it.

I might also consider it if it shot 8K, which would give perfect 4K in my book (after debayering).    

It would be historic and industry shattering. Unlikely. Who knows? Roll on the 8th....

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

Naw. They could have done this with the GH4 if that was the case. Canon can get nice highlight roll off on even their low end DSLRs.

I found their dslr highlight roll off is still horrendous compare to c100, highlight recovery non exist in video mode.  ( with modern low end dslr aka 200d) 

10 hours ago, DBounce said:

Since the December thread clearly did not happen here is a new one for January. I think the current rumor is pointing to the 8th. Here is a fresh image that was tweeted out today!

Are we going to get one thread for every month of the year?

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Certain: 

The new model will very nearly cement M43 as a serious cinematography format, finally. 

I reckon the GH1/AF100/GH2/GH3/GH4/GH5/etc has already done that! (although the EVA1 was a bit of a let down....)

Still going to say it's only about one thing: pulling sensor data, processing and storing. (Yes, those are technically 3 things xD)

I'm going to go ahead and say they're pulling a BMPCC, but done right! So a handheld all-in-one fairly compact, yet capable, cinema camera body with a complete disregard for stills and prioritising and optimizing everything for shooting video. So, I'd say yes to new sensor, with heaps of DR and really good highlight roll-off. Full V-Log, no more lite. 4K60p 10-bit internally? Heck yes! Some clever trickery with dual cardslots and UHS-II to store footage as RAW DNG, ProRes or a new proprietary format (like Sony has XAVC-L for example), based on h.265? Or atleast something clever externally like that? Global shutter? Bit wishful thinking, but sure, why not? You can have it all!

Feeling like ISO409600? Well too flippin' bad! You can't actually have it all. Expect it to be just as much better as the GH5 is compared to the GH4, though perhaps even worse, because of prioritising DR and not lowlight sensitivity (remember BMD, RED, ARRI ain't much better either)... don't get your hopes up and be thinking anything above ISO6400 is going to look any good. Expecting C-AF to blow Canon's DualPixel AF out of the water? Sorry to break it to you, not even close, expect the same ol' performance we've always been getting out of these puppies. I even think... that they might possibly even leave out sensor stabilization for better performance (it might be hard to effectively pull data from a free floating sensor, also: try to cool down a free floating sensor... especially with the intensity you're pulling from it).

So... I think it's going to be a mixed bag. Great news for the cinematographer, some real pushable filmic looking footage. The photographer now has the Lumix G9 and Panasonic can still sell the GH5 as that more allround camera for both stills and video, that gives videographers that freedom with sensor stabilization and all (and them not feeling cheated for not having waited a bit longer for this GH5s to arrive).

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Are we going to get one thread for every month of the year?

I’m betting we will hear something on the 8th. CES is the perfect venue for such an announcement, and I’m certain Panasonic is not going to show up empty handed.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Still going to say it's only about one thing: pulling sensor data, processing and storing. (Yes, those are technically 3 things xD)

I'm going to go ahead and say they're pulling a BMPCC, but done right! So a handheld all-in-one fairly compact, yet capable, cinema camera body with a complete disregard for stills and prioritising and optimizing everything for shooting video. So, I'd say yes to new sensor, with heaps of DR and really good highlight roll-off. Full V-Log, no more lite. 4K60p 10-bit internally? Heck yes! Some clever trickery with dual cardslots and UHS-II to store footage as RAW DNG, ProRes or a new proprietary format (like Sony has XAVC-L for example), based on h.265? Or atleast something clever externally like that? Global shutter? Bit wishful thinking, but sure, why not? You can have it all!

Feeling like ISO409600? Well too flippin' bad! You can't actually have it all. Expect it to be just as much better as the GH5 is compared to the GH4, though perhaps even worse, because of prioritising DR and not lowlight sensitivity (remember BMD, RED, ARRI ain't much better either)... don't get your hopes up and be thinking anything above ISO6400 is going to look any good. Expecting C-AF to blow Canon's DualPixel AF out of the water? Sorry to break it to you, not even close, expect the same ol' performance we've always been getting out of these puppies. I even think... that they might possibly even leave out sensor stabilization for better performance (it might be hard to effectively pull data from a free floating sensor, also: try to cool down a free floating sensor... especially with the intensity you're pulling from it).

So... I think it's going to be a mixed bag. Great news for the cinematographer, some real pushable filmic looking footage. The photographer now has the Lumix G9 and Panasonic can still sell the GH5 as that more allround camera for both stills and video, that gives videographers that freedom with sensor stabilization and all (and them not feeling cheated for not having waited a bit longer for this GH5s to arrive).

Sort of sounds like you are describing a Sony A7s mk something LoL.