Panasonic GH5 Review and exclusive first look at Version 2.0 firmware

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

They are really on the ball. I feel the respected as well and they have really supported EOSHD with this roll-out of the firmware.

I feel every penny of the investment I made in the GH5 has been rewarded with this update, and the ALL-I codec is stunning.

22 minutes ago, markr041 said:

It seems they are now finally allowing the use of H265 for 4K video shooting: "A low-bit-rate recording mode 4K HEVC for HLG was added." The question is how "low".

This is a Hybrid Log Gamma / TV thing, you are best off using H264 for everything else especially the 400Mbit ALL-I. Due to the high efficiency of H.265 it only needs half the bitrate of H.264 for the same quality so it is good for saving space, but it doesn't quite have the filmic motion and fine grain of the ALL-I H.264.

This is what I'm really happy about :)

-[Anamorphic Desqueeze Display] was added, which lets you view an enlarged image in Cinescope size while recording with 2.0x and 1.33x Anamorphic lens.

-[Video Guide Line] is added to display the image in a variety of aspects, such as 2.39:1, 2.35:1, 16:9, and 1:1 while recording video. This can be used not only in Anamorphic mode but also in other video recording modes.

2 minutes ago, Evan Fotis Georgoulakis said:

Can one now use the Open Gate feature to record a 4:3 image in 1:1 PAR?  (useful for vertical recording a subject against chroma key without wasting left and right space and using all available resolution)
And does this come in 10 bit 4:2:2 400Mbps ALL-I?

I guess you will have to use the open gate feature with the newly added 1:1 Video Guide Line display

@ Andrew Reid - thanks for your excellent articles!  I appreciate how you provide analysis that makes me see the significance of details as they apply to film making. Thanks for your comment about 24p intra motion cadence, depth of field and 16mm film.  I will consider the benefits of deeper depth of field and intra as way to get that shot on film experience. It's liberating to have another tool in the film making tool box as identified by you.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, callipygous said:

Any word on the USB tethering aspect? I'm using an expensive recorder right now so other people can FTP in to access files as I'm recording. It would be amazing if the tethered recording options were the same as the internal options.

Not tested this yet, will do in part 2.

Andrew, thanks for the great review.

I absolutely love my GH5, and I assume I will love it even more when the new firmware is available.

Panasonic, if you are listening, I have a couple requests that could still be implemented in this already superb camera.

First, some way to lock the aperture and shutter dials. I have used the available menu option to switch those two, which helps, but I still find that settings have changed every once in a while. Normally the lock is a physical switch, but perhaps there is a way to lock them by using firmware, like assigning a function button to that. 

Second, is there a way to make the eyepiece sensor even LESS sensitive? I find that when I'm looking at the little articulated screen, every so often the camera gets closer to my body and the screen shuts off, even though I have it on the least sensitive setting. Would be great if that could be mitigated. Is having both the monitor AND EVF on simultaneously an option? May be too much processing and battery intensive, but would be cool. 

One more thing, and this is NOT a request, just wishful thinking. I would love it if there was someway to add a longer shaft to the EVF that pointed upward and that I could look down into. I find myself shooting through the EVF very often, and if there was some add on something like the old school optical VF's that would be awesome. I realize there are 3rd party EVF's, but they are super costly and bulk up the camera which is part of the charm of the GH5 in the first place. I love shooting through the EVF. I long for a compact solution that would make this more versatile.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing... frame guides. 2.35, 2.4, 4:3, 1:1, 16:9, etc. I feel like this would be pretty simple. I talked to the reps at NAB about this and they said they were asking for them too, but no word from the powers. Would be very useful.