Panasonic GH5 Review and exclusive first look at Version 2.0 firmware

Andrew Reid

Lurking the forum for ages...and used the GH4 for ages, but haven't commented for quite some time.
But I cant resist the urge to comment here...I downloaded all the files and looked at them.
Honestly...especially the colors are just crazy good The Wall and The Field AF tests...perfect!!...color wise!!
I would love to see those tests without the AF, just nice smooth focus and filming.
Panasonic seem to have nailed it, the color depth is great, perfect balance of reality with a touch of saturation and pop to my eyes,
Canon gets that too, but for me sometimes the Canon colors move into overdone territory and lose that fine balance.
Thats a personal observation tho, others opinions obviously differ.
Anyway its very clear that you can get amazing results with this camera without a heap of extras.

Motion cadence is another thing that I also have issues with, its something that has always bothered me more than the usual complaints
about low light, dynamic range, DOF and almost anything else.
The All I does look promising, but I would love to see more shots to see how this looks overall, the Greyhound shots were too fast to really tell,
the Dog Spike tho...Stunning in so many ways!
But overall...just frikkin GREAT!!
I am definitely getting one soon...thanks Andrew, and so glad that Panasonic got you the firmware early, as one of the pioneers of the GH series,
they did the right thing, because your reviews are always very comprehensive, excellent review, cant wait for Pt2.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have to say, since the GH5, Panasonic definitely comes close to Canon. Sometimes it is even better than that showing no evidence of a strange brownish color cast.

@Andrew Reid

Thanks so much for the source files!
Tried to match V-log vs. HLG.
I have to say I'm really impressed by HLG for REC709 output (Matched using ACES colorspace in Davinci Resolve, works great, not perfect though).

Since HLG makes use of the full range, there seems to be way more color depth to play with. The result is way more texture in low contrast fine detail and interestingly less noise in shadows as well as (to me) an even better color science!

Here's the download to a graded version (Clip01 V-Log, Clip02 and 03 HLG, both outputted to REC709):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctkb5tej5756pbr/vlog_vs_hlg.mp4?dl=0

45 minutes ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Glad to see a de-squeeze function, although 1.79x should be included since this is required to go from 4:3 to DCI 2.39:1 without cropping.  Of course, I'm biased since I'm currently developing 1.79x lenses!  Need to start lobbying Panasonic to add a few lines to their firmware . . .

1.79x as in anamorphic? ?

All while I'm reading this post and thinking "Why has Panasonic crammed so much value into this camera?" at the same time that Canon plays the protectionist game of doling out features on a tiered "pay-as-you-go" system. And then I read this sentence and it all made sense.

"Also the GH5 now has a HEVC H.265 4K mode for HLG added, which allows files to be played directly on home AV equipment compatible with HEVC and HDR, such as Panasonic’s latest HDR TVs."

Panasonic is thinking organically of the whole customer, not just some new camera body. A happy GH5 owner who loves their feature-rich camera also begins to love the brand. We buy lenses and accessories sure, but how about the EVA1 or an HDR capable Panasonic TV to proudly show our new footage. So while Canon and Sony may be thinking Panasonic is foolish to put so much value into a $2,000 mirrorless camera, the new GH5 owners are beginning a new relationship that will eventually show the same loyalty many of us had for Canon for decades.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used the GH5 exclusively on a client gig last week and never brought the Canon bodies out of the bag!

I think that's a really great point mediaman, the more I buy in to Panasonic in one system, the more likely I am to buy in another.

However, it's also possible that Panasonic are just not worried about GH5's cannibalizing their higher tier cameras. Those who shoot with Varicams will not stop using those in favor of a GH5. Maybe for a scene where only a GH5 could work, but not replaced by any means.

I think the EVA1 is safe too. We'll have to see footage of course, but that camera is going to produce gorgeous pictures... and it's S35. 

As long as the GHx never goes S35, which it won't, Panasonic never has to worry about protecting their upper lines.

Great review, it'll be interesting to see how much Sony puts into the A7sIII. As of now, the GH5 really stands out as the camera for video. This update has me seriously thinking GH5 for a upcoming doc. It would be an easier decision if Panasonic had a PDAF system like the Em1.2, or Fuji, or Sony or...

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Glad to see a de-squeeze function, although 1.79x should be included since this is required to go from 4:3 to DCI 2.39:1 without cropping.  Of course, I'm biased since I'm currently developing 1.79x lenses!  Need to start lobbying Panasonic to add a few lines to their firmware . . .

I will be putting a good word in for you with Panasonic

Hopefully they will do the extra stretch factors, we need 1.5x as well for Iscorama!

Awaiting the anamorphics Brian... To say I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with is an understatement :)

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I will be putting a good word in for you with Panasonic

Hopefully they will do the extra stretch factors, we need 1.5x as well for Iscorama!

Awaiting the anamorphics Brian... To say I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with is an understatement :)

Might they include some customization desqueeze feature I guess?

____

Yet, and from your review:

"Shallow DOF is overrated because it covers up for a lack of good lighting and motion cadence. I’ve noticed a subtle interplay between motion cadence, shallow DOF and the film look. A shallow DOF can help to give you a three dimensional pop and film look with a LongGOP codec and hide the fact that 24p doesn’t really look like film 24fps. When you have true 24p and an ALL-I codec like on the GH5 with the 2.0 firmware update, you find yourself liking the look of deep focus more, because the movement isn’t as eye fatiguing and everything looks more film-like. If you have ever seen projected film from a Super 16mm camera you will know what I mean, it has a cinematic dreamy look that you don’t need an extreme shallow DOF to compensate for."

Yeah, the results are always a commitment that works.

Without the usual sugar, the sweet will variably have a different taste going on with some other attempt to figure out how to replace it. That is, we're speaking about something else, that's it.

• Administrators

Yes I really do think a shallow DOF is a poor man's 24p :)

Of the two things that inform the film look they are very important and so if you have faux 24p you better shoot full frame to compensate :)

On the other-hand you can say shallow DOF is overrated as there's a lot of deep DOF stuff which looks cinematic. I shoot with my rare Iscorama 2x ("Centavision" branded but really an Iscorama 42 with 2x stretch) at F5.6 with a gentle roll off to the background, not really a shallow DOF, and I didn't miss the full frame look, and I've shot with the Digital Bolex which had an incredible film like analogue feel to the sensor, the colour, rendering, the whole thing screamed FILM not SMALL CHIP!

Even with the ultimate shallow DOF lens, the Leica Noctilux... it isn't the razor thin shallow DOF at F1 that is best about it... the overall rendering, vignetting, bokeh shape at the edges and pop to the contrast is what makes it.

12 hours ago, Ed_David said:

HOLY GOD this looks amazing.

Curious now to compare to a7s ii, and ursa mini 4.6k and blackmagic micro.

This maybe right now the ultimate 16mm camera as well - it may create a very different, beautiful aesthetic!

wow panasonic is killing it

Ed, I´ve been writing this on this forum a few times. Maybe it would be time to be quiete about it now for the sake of us lens lovers :)

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

I just picked mine up in Ho Chi Minh City: USD 1850.00 incl. 1 extra battery + VLog

No you did not! Not fair, Gear Ac Syndrome is grabbing me! :)

• Administrators

I see Luca (NX1 speed booster designer!) has been playing with my footage :)

Nice grade, even from the Rec.709 standard profile you can see the dynamic range

For those who haven't downloaded the files yet, check it out especially the AF test shots.

Thanks for the edit and grade Luca