Panasonic GH5 Review and exclusive first look at Version 2.0 firmware

Andrew Reid

6 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

Thanks. Where are they coming from? I've ordered from HK in the past.

My tracking info says "warehouse in the UK". 

It all arrived within a week, sparkly and new as advertised. 

I highly recommend them, as the savings for non-VAT registered shooters is immense. 

I'm VAT registered, and I buy from them as I still save regardless! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Vesku said:

Impressive update. 

Seems that they have fixed highlight clipping in iso100?

Is the minimum shutter speed working now with video?

Isn't ISO100 a psuedo iso?

Not a "real" one?   Isn't ISO200 the native sensor value?

On 8/31/2017 at 1:21 AM, Brian Caldwell said:

Glad to see a de-squeeze function, although 1.79x should be included since this is required to go from 4:3 to DCI 2.39:1 without cropping.  Of course, I'm biased since I'm currently developing 1.79x lenses!  Need to start lobbying Panasonic to add a few lines to their firmware . . .

Wow! Very cool indeed.  More lens options, always is better.

I STILL love my Conurus EOS mount converted Contax N 84/1.4, works great with my Metabones Speedbooster 0.64 XL

Yes, it looks incredibly overbearing, and is heavy, shrug, but works good.

21 hours ago, Samuel Malki said:

Hello, I read your GH5 review and it sounds like this update will be a good one.

I read that you felt like the autofocus improvements didn't really improve that much to where you would shoot video with autofocus. I am wondering about face tracking in video. With the current GH5 firmware 1.0 I am using, it's completely broken. It puts the box on your face, but does not focus at all when recording.

I have found the best autofocus settings right now are 1 area, with custom settings: +5 speed and +3 sensitivity.

Does the face tracking now work in the gh5 2.0 firmware?

Asking because I have my girlfriend film me a lot and am not looking forward to teaching her manual focus. But have been contemplating that.

Right now I just leave it on autofocus and have her press in the shutter button halfway.

I use MF and touch to focus, works very well. 

Not sure if this has been posted already, but a fascinating (to me anyhow) discussion of hi-res anamorphic, HDR and YT with Mat and Drew. Drew says the experience of watching HDR is comparable to making the leap from SD content straight to 4K without ever having seen HD. Some nice BTS of their rigged out GH5 beginning at around 16:50. 

9 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

If I understand correctly, the de-squeeze only applies to the viewfinder image.  You can of course de-squeeze the actual footage to any value you want in post.

The anamorphic mode is in 4:3, with a 1.5x lenses, it will come out as 2:1 , and if I am trying to de-squeeze it in to 2.39:1 or 2.66:1 , it means I need to crop the footage and it is going to lose resolution, am I right or wrong?

10 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

If I understand correctly, the de-squeeze only applies to the viewfinder image.  You can of course de-squeeze the actual footage to any value you want in post.

I know next to nothing about anamorphic, but am excited to try it. Are we to understand that you are designing a full frame lens that will require two adapters to mount it to the GH5? Also, will we be able to adjust focus with just one ring?

Somebody here had asked whether there was a difference shooting Cinelike D with the GX85 and the GH5. I just did a completely unscientific test shooting Cinelike with the G85 (4K 23.976) and the GH5 (4K 10 bit, DCI). The light was changing and I manually white balanced, so the two shots aren't identical, but they are close enough. I think the biggest advantage the GH5 has in Cinelike is probably the ability to push the grade farther. 

Here's with the GH5

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 3.41.30 PM.png

And this is with the G85

Screen Shot G85.png

13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Somebody here had asked whether there was a difference shooting Cinelike D with the GX85 and the GH5. I just did a completely unscientific test shooting Cinelike with the G85 (4K 23.976) and the GH5 (4K 10 bit, DCI). The light was changing and I manually white balanced, so the two shots aren't identical, but they are close enough. I think the biggest advantage the GH5 has in Cinelike is probably the ability to push the grade farther. 

Here's with the GH5

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 3.41.30 PM.png

And this is with the G85

Does Final Cut not cope with the DCI file then?

19 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Does Final Cut not cope with the DCI file then?

I've got the 2017 5K iMac 27" maxed out, it transcodes to ProRes no problem. Plays back in real time. But I'm getting this weird crop for some reason.

Edit: The other biggie once I solve this problem, is that I'll be getting the wider FOV with the GH5. hurray! And while it's completely, entirely unscientific, it appears as though the GH5 has greater dynamic range: if you look at my t-shirt, the highlights look like they'll blow out quicker with the G85. Furthermore, the GH5 seems to lessen the scowl on my face a bit more...

Back on topic, who's excited about HLG? Should I start looking for an HDR compliant tv? It just seems like things are changing every few months, so not sure whether to take the plunge. According to a recent Panasonic event, (a new and significant development in HDR technology!) they'll be releasing HDR 10+ or something sets in 2018. Not sure what this all means, the presentation was so godawful boring, I couldn't force myself to watch it all the way through.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Back on topic, who's excited about HLG? Should I start looking for an HDR compliant tv? It just seems like things are changing every few months, so not sure whether to take the plunge. According to a recent Panasonic event, (a new and significant development in HDR technology!) they'll be releasing HDR 10+ or something sets in 2018. Not sure what this all means, the presentation was so godawful boring, I couldn't force myself to watch it all the way through.

Dolby Vision Sets are what you want, HDR 10+ is a new competitor. Both these sets are MUCH brighter than regular HDR (HDR 10) sets.

I'm excited for HDR, but it adds a huge complication to workflow. 

@Andrew Reid Sorry for hijacking this thread, but as you know, I just got the GH5 and only finished setting it up this afternoon... Am I correct in assuming that if you're not shooting fast-moving action, that it's preferable to shoot Long GOP? I'm asking because I intend to shoot some short films, and while I greatly enjoy watching action films, for myself, I prefer long takes where not much is happening. :) 

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Don't let the new GH5 setting sucker you into buying a new TV... 

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Everyone's saying that HDR is the cat's pajamas.

I'm sure it is, but 8K is awesome too, why not buy a Red camera? 2.7K ProRes in Arri Log is unbeatable, why not buy an Alexa Mini?

I make few stances in life and kinda go with the flow, but there are a few things that I refuse to do... I will not do self checkout... I do not go to stores to work. And I will not let a corporation dictate what I purchase because their development is faster than consumer purchasing cycles.

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

I'm sure it is, but 8K is awesome too, why not buy a Red camera? 2.7K ProRes in Arri Log is unbeatable, why not buy an Alexa Mini?

I make few stances in life and kinda go with the flow, but there are a few things that I refuse to do... I will not do self checkout... I do not go to stores to work. And I will not let a corporation dictate what I purchase because their development is faster than consumer purchasing cycles.

I have two HDR TVs, one Sony and the other LG Oled, both are epic. You end up rewatching movies you have already seen as they feel new again. I highly recommend that if you are in the market for a new TV, just spend a few $$$ more and go with something that supports HDR. In another two years the big push will be 8k. I know that now an 8k TV can be had for as little as $9k. Not cheap, but keep in mind that it was not long ago that such a TV would have been $130k... so it is progress.

21 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I have two HDR TVs, one Sony and the other LG Oled, both are epic. You end up rewatching movies you have already seen as they feel new again. I highly recommend that if you are in the market for a new TV, just spend a few $$$ more and go with something that supports HDR. In another two years the big push will be 8k. I know that now an 8k TV can be had for as little as $9k. Not cheap, but keep in mind that it was not long ago that such a TV would have been $130k... so it is progress.

Oh I'm sure it looks amazing. When my 720p JVC dies or my 1080p Roku TV goes caput, I may get something like that.