The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

30 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

If you also shoot a lot of stills its a no brainer and super cheap. If you shoot 50/50 its a good deal. Only if you are 100% video is it questionable imo. But then, why buy a stills camera at all.

What's currently holding me back is that I'm back to exclusively shooting film for stills. So not sure if I would use the Fuji for stills. And then there is no point in not getting a real videocamera.

Fuji's stills is the main reason for why I've become interested in this camera and what makes me more interested is the fact that Fuji does not abondon its cameras in two months after their release. I am sure that we will see important enhancements for videographers via firmware and perhaps a new "x-videographer/filmaker" scheme.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, no_connection said:

I did check both the video samples for download above with ffdshow internal reporting to .csv file.

And it did report an I frame every 15 frames. 448 P frames and 32 I frames. For the clip with water.

The magic happens when I open the clip in fusion. I expected to see mush with huge blocks at best. But this?
Not sure if fusion is responsible for grain or not but I can't get anywhere near as good of a result by converting it to another format.

fusion_xt2.PNG

When I went through the file frame by frame in avidemux, I counted 29 P-frames in a row, but mediainfo reported a GOP of 15 as you said.

I don´t know if avidemux shows it right.

6 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Where can I go to teach myself about this?

Finished downloading the file and looking at in FCPX, it looks highly detailed, but whenever there's movement of any kind, blocks start appearing around the detail- looks like crud. Let's hope this isn't representative of Fuji "fixing" issues with aliasing. Let's hope this isn't what the final product will be!

Go to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-adaptive_binary_arithmetic_coding

18 hours ago, Steve M. said:

Whatever! I'm not about to argue with all the fancy terminology and all the vast knowledge that is set forth in these posts, because it's not like you, me, or anyone else on this forum is doing anything earth shatteirng in the film industry. Call it what you want Dynamic duo range, Batman and Robin color space, I don't give a shit! This site is ALMOST as bad as No Film School, in terms of everybody is a know-it-all, and everyone else is a dumb ass! 

Whoa !!!

Every once in a while, someone blows up in one of the threads. And, its amusing how people make guesses about everyone else here.
Btw, are you the guy who was given sh!t on www.nofilmschool.com lately, in the discussion boards ??? I know they shot down a troll. Was that you?

I read that you're pretty much gonna have to use the grip if you wanna do video and with three batteries it'll give you as much time as a GH4 with one battery. Anyway, with the power booster grip you're looking at about $2,000 grand. Seems like a very tough sell in this market, especially for a company that has not been known for their video up till now. 

12 hours ago, The Chris said:

Fuji clearly states it on the XT2's news page:

"Footage in a Film Simulation mode can be further fine-tuned with “Highlight Tone,” “Shadow Tone,” “Color” and “Sharpness” adjustments."

I think that's confirmation.

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160707_01.html

Now that is great news! I can only hope Fuji will also release these setting to the video on the Xpro2!

On 7/8/2016 at 2:01 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Lots of full sensor 1080p cameras have moire. But in general, 4K cameras do pretty well. The NX1 and A7sii had some. The LX100, AX100, BMPC, XC10, etc are clean.

What about rolling shutter, which cmos cameras handle it best in your opinion?

12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Nope, I work as a producer. I don't even own anything digital from Fuji, I do however have about 100rolls of Fujicolor and 1000 feet of 16mm Fuji at all times.

But I have shot with Fuji's in the past and really enjoy them. 

Here on this forum I'm just having a conversation. That does not mean that I work for the company I'm currently discussing. Specially since I said I was likely NOT to get it at this point. People are always free to ignore my posts or suck an egg if they don't like them :)

Kinda like Canon. My theory is that they are holding back a little because releasing overheating cameras and dodgy Log is bad business. Either do it right or not at all.

Mattias, a Fuji sales rep, now that's funny! I know he posts some interesting and informative videos on various cameras, but a sales rep....I don't think so!! 

7 hours ago, sanveer said:

Whoa !!!

Every once in a while, someone blows up in one of the threads. And, its amusing how people make guesses about everyone else here.
Btw, are you the guy who was given sh!t on www.nofilmschool.com lately, in the discussion boards ??? I know they shot down a troll. Was that you?

Nope, wasn't me, probably another smart-ass, like yourself, that too is a know-it-all! Hows that for blowing up?

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Flynn said:

What about rolling shutter, which cmos cameras handle it best in your opinion?

Well, the CMOS cameras that handle it best is the once with Global Shutters :)

But if we are talking 4K with RS, the Panasonic's are alright and I would say the a6300 is the worst I've used in that respect. But with the 35mm OSS and no pans its totally usable.

I'm really intrigued by the XT2, but I wonder about lens selection. I was just glancing at some tests of Fuji's wider lenses, as well as one test of a Zeiss Touit, and while the lenses appear to be solidly constructed, it seems as though their performance isn't extraordinary - but the price tag is. I've heard several reviewers recommend using Fuji lenses, as the bodies are optimized for them. Can anyone share their own experiences with Fuji or other glass for X-Mount cameras?

2 hours ago, The Chris said:

Gordon Liang posted some SOOC 4k samples, moire doesn't look like its going to be an issue with the XT2. The lack of stabilized lenses OTOH. Would like to see this with the 18-55 with OIS instead of the non-OIS 16-55.

I was about to link to this.  Keep in mind Gordon himself will tell you he has very shaky hands, so take the "shakiness" with a grain of salt.

I just have a quick test on the XT2 at Fujifilm square in Tokyo. No FLog menu at the moment, cameras on display are with beta firmware, asking for it they reply that Flog seems only for HDMI output, but is not confirmed. Rolling shutter on 4K 30p is present and seems like on a6300, on 1080p is very low but I see and compared it only on viewfinder and Lcd. Asking to connect camera at a display they reply "is not possible" :). Overall impression is good, and in my opinion the camera is not to be compared to the a6300 (very different construction, rock solid and better viewfinder and ergonomics) but at the a7 series...Friendly employees (and very patient at all my questions) as usual at Fujifilm square :)

33 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Judging rolling shutter on the display only is tricky since the BMPC4K has a global shutter but jello on the display.

With the a6300 the jello on the display isn't a good measure either since its worse on the actual footage.

Yes I know, is more than tricky,but I recorded either in 4K and 1080p and after played the clips and put it on still in the middle of a fast pan and the vertical line on 4K was unfortunately diagonal... So seems no news on rolling, but I think for the price it will be a good camera...