Sign in to follow this  
Sebastien Farges

THE FIRST MOVIE with SLR MAGIC 10mm T2.1 on GH4 4K ! EXCLUSIVE !

Hello my friends,

Here is my first hand's on with the SLR Magic 10mm T2.1 I just received on wednesday in premiere, and also with their new variable ND filter :)

SLR Magic 10mm T2.1 on GH4 4K and 96fps 1080p mode

My very first impressions : solid, heavy (420g), compact, sharp at full aperture T2.1, only 8.5cm minimum focus distance.
The ND filter : good first impressions, and two great options on it : lever and hard stop ! Perfect for video !

SLR MAGIC 10mm T2.1 (f1.8 eq.), most of the clips @ T2.1
SLR Magic ND variable filter

GH4 4K cinema mode + 96fps 1080p mode
Vcine mode with Andrew Reid presets (http://www.eoshd.com)

No color correction

Music : Trentemøller « Come Undone (Trentemøller Remix) »

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can I just ask, what's the deal with cine lenses like the SLR magic/Rokinon's? is there actually a picture quality improvement? A resolution/detail improvement? Or is it just the clickless aperture/better focus throw? yadda yadda.

SLR makes lenses with a kind of special ascetic, not cold or digital like we can notice in Olympus/panasonic lenses.

And there we have a fast 10mm, that is not available in the other brands yet.

This product just entered my list of things to consider. :)

One thing I would ask of you readers of this topic. Pls ask DXO to test these kind of lenses as well. You can do it via their easy to use request forms on their dxomark.com site. 

IT's no use if I'm the one of only ten ppl asking for these manual focus M43-lenses to be tested. Let's get some numbers there. :) 

I currently have the SLR magic 25mm .. it would be interesting if dxo would test it .. how it compares to the very good Olympus and Pana/Leica options.

Looks really good. I agree though that the jump cuts make it hard to get a feel for the look in motion. Did you shoot with a weird shutter angle or something?

Thanks Aaron. No, 180°, but at the end of the shooting I've noticed it moves at 288°... Why don't Panasonic doesn't do a fix shutter angle possibility ? :p

Thanks Aaron. No, 180°, but at the end of the shooting I've noticed it moves at 288°... Why don't Panasonic doesn't do a fix shutter angle possibility ? :P

Just messed with something settings and realized it's possible swap f-stop and shutter speed dials. SS goes to the top. This will work well with manual aperture lenses!

Really nice video as always :) Loved the music too, Trentemøller are playing in Berlin tomorrow, might go and take a listen.

thanks a lot Andrew :) The female voice on this track is Kazu Makino, from Blonde Redhead. You're lucky have them in Berlin, If I was you, I will go for sure ;)

Hmm... I´m confused. The data sheet of this lens claims closest focus to be 0.2 m ie 20cm, but here it is claimed to be a very good 2cm. 20 cm would´t be very special at all.

Sorry my mistake. I suppose the measure is from the camera, but I've just measured it from the glass to the closest object, it's 8.5cm

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Minimum focus distance is measured from the sensor plane to the closest subject not from the front lens element. You'll find a mark on the top of any camera that looks like this ( Φ ), it indicates where the sensor is, which is used for measuring focus distance.

Minimum focus distance is measured from the sensor plane to the closest subject not from the front lens element. You'll find a mark on the top of any camera that looks like this ( Φ ), it indicates where the sensor is, which is used for measuring focus distance.

I know I know... But what is important to me and more meaningful is the minimum distance between the lens and the object :)