Lenses

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, araucaria said:

Make shure to see some samples before getting an old 50 1.4 nikkor, it's a little bit "peculiar" wide open.

Yeah, I didn't love the 1.4. The f2 is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used, though. Even wide open. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey guys, I have been absolutely loving the 16-50 S. 

Went to a wedding on Friday and grabbed some casual shots with it. Really loving the handling so far.

The combo did have some struggles in low light at the reception, but still got some shots that I was able to give them.

I recorded  a bit of the ceremony and am really impressed with the combination of DIS and lens OIS. 

Really can't say enough about the lens. I have the 50-150 on order now and am looking forward to getting it.

Here's my favorite shot

SAM_1497 copy 2.jpg

On March 6, 2016 at 9:39 AM, mercer said:

Looks great Bror. Beautiful lens and composition, but I am a sucker for slow rack focusing. What camera did you shoot that with?

If you already have the Nikkor 35mm f2, then why are you even looking for another lens in this range... Get some more Nikkors... How about the 50mm 1.2 or 85mm f2... Or the 20mm f2.8? There are so many great Nikkor lenses that you should be concentrating on building a nice set of those... IMO. 

I like to sell my Nikkor 50 1.2 since I got OM 50 1.2.  I also have OM 551.2, very sharp at 1.2 too.

So this is a bit of a bummer, but can't say I'm surprised.

Samsungparts site has canceled my order for the 50-150 S saying it's no longer available.

The status of the lens has been a backorder situation, but it appears now there will be no new shipment of these lenses to them coming so they canceled/refunded my order.

They still have some other lenses in stock and I received my 16-50 from them no problem, but this appears to have bigger implications about supply and stock going forward.

I still plan on buying a 50-150 somehow/sometime. 

8 hours ago, jagnje said:

Does anyone have the sigma super wide II...24mm. How would that intercut with nikkor primes?

its a nice lens very low contrast compared to the nikons , very grey blacks very little contrast ,not as sharp as the Nikons , but still a usable lens if you cut it with other low contrast lenses like the Tokina ATX and ATX PRO range of zooms

Has anyone used the Sigma 28mm 1.8 lens? There appears to be 3 different versions, unsure if they're the same or not, mechanically and optically. They all have aperture rings, which is good. I have seen a few videos and it seems to be a decent performer but I'd love to hear some first hand experience. 

39 minutes ago, bamigoreng said:

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel?

You bet! Her name is Princess Leia. 

15 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I know what you mean! I've just started building my own set. :grin:

2RaZuD4.jpg

I love puns.:heart::grimace:

I love it! SO underrated. You can buy an entire kit for less than one or two modern lenses and they look way better IMO. I need to buy a super wide and a telephoto and I'll be golden. 

I figured the cat would've been the princess. :grin: They're usually such divas. They're equally cute though.

And... true! I was thinking about these or Leica R. But it seemed although the Leicas are gorgeous, sure, they perhaps just have a bit more of a specific look, whereas it appeared the Contax Zeiss ones would have a bit generic look to 'em (which is not a bad thing). And you're right on! They're reasonably affordable and yet so up there in quality. It's like they are on that line of realism and really have that 3D pop <insert laugh-tape - reference joke>. But seriously though, they do have something special about 'em. There are some good reads and recommendations out there regarding these. Even in comparison with the big boy Zeiss optics. Of course it too helps that andy lee stands behind them! I guess the 21mm would be the one to get on the wide end, but I think it roughly sells for more than the ones in the other ranges combined. Ouch. Nah, in that case I'm good with 25mm being the widest I guess (wishlist). And focal reducing is still a thing if you're commited to small sensor cameras. ;)