Lenses

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Mercer,

Really like the colors you were able to pick up with the grade, last part seems a little bit dark compared to ungraded material.

Grade looks really filmic, rich colors, naturalistic, not LUT mud like:)

How did you manage to hold the lens so steady even with focusing? Did you use a speedbooster for a wider angle of view?

cheers

Haha, I'm so bad at color grading, I probably couldn't duplicate it. But thanks, this one I actually liked. I liked the first grade so much I just copied the grade to the second clip. I didn't do the proper thing and color correct first, so you're right, it looks a little funky. And I also used LUTS. I have color finale for FCPX and I used their GH4 to rec709 LUT at 50% first, then I tweaked the curves and color wheels a little and then finished with an M31 LUT at 50%

No speedbooster, but I am thinking of getting one and I had the camera on my Sirui monopod and used a focus lever. Basically a poor man's follow focus, you can get them for about 10 bucks on eBay or Amazon. Thanks again. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

try the Zeiss Distagon 35mm 2.8 C/Y that lens pops its so damn sharp - the 25mm 28mm and 35 are all stellar lenses insanly sharp - the 45mm pancake has a great character to it , its a slight bit softer than the distagons as its a Tessar formula , but it has a look to it I really like , the 50mm 85mm 100mm and 135mm Sonnars are superb very cinematic for actor close ups, these lenses have the exact same glass formaulas as the Zeiss Super Speed cine lenses

1 hour ago, andy lee said:

try the Zeiss Distagon 35mm 2.8 C/Y that lens pops its so damn sharp - the 25mm 28mm and 35 are all stellar lenses insanly sharp - the 45mm pancake has a great character to it , its a slight bit softer than the distagons as its a Tessar formula , but it has a look to it I really like , the 50mm 85mm 100mm and 135mm Sonnars are superb very cinematic for actor close ups, these lenses have the exact same glass formaulas as the Zeiss Super Speed cine lenses

I'm also a huge Contax fan! Especially the f/2.8s. Not so much the 25mm (great in the center, iffy everywhere else), but the 21, 28, 35, 85, and 135 are all exceptionally cinematic. One thing though: aren't both CZ 50mms Planar designs? 

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Hello people. What do you think about the Takumars? There are a few people selling whole sets of them,are they any good for use with the NX1? Thanks.

I love the look of Takumars but I would be very careful with vintage lenses on the NX1. I find that it needs a very high resolving lens. It seems like The sensor is optimized for their high end S line of lenses

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Hello people. What do you think about the Takumars? There are a few people selling whole sets of them,are they any good for use with the NX1? Thanks.

They're good! Sharp. A bit smoother in contrast than Zeiss, but also more sterile. Should resolve just fine on the NX1 sensor, depending what's in the set. Just expect to use them one stop down from max aperture; vintage lenses with uncoated rear elements tend to glow a bit wide open, which the NX1 hates. 

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, sandro said:

which is the best fast prime (1.4-1.8) to use on the NX1? Manual lenses are fine. Should be between 24-40mm or 50mm if necessary. Anything cheaper than the sigma 35mm 1.4?

The old (non ART version) Sigma 30mm f1.4 in Nikon mount is sweet. Doesnt cost much used.

14 minutes ago, sandro said:

Great!Anything else? Maybe narrower focal range?

In my opinion you want to get lenses from the same manufacturer from the same lens line up. If I were you, I would start investing in the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower lenses. Or if they're a little too pricy for you, then breakdown your lens line up into interior and exterior lenses. By doing this the slight difference in lens characteristics can be negated. Btw, what type of video work do you do? This also can help to steer you in a specific direction. 

43 minutes ago, mercer said:

In my opinion you want to get lenses from the same manufacturer from the same lens line up. If I were you, I would start investing in the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower lenses. Or if they're a little too pricy for you, then breakdown your lens line up into interior and exterior lenses. By doing this the slight difference in lens characteristics can be negated. Btw, what type of video work do you do? This also can help to steer you in a specific direction. 

This one is for pics in low light :)