Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, sandro said:

What about Vivitar 24mm f2?

With Vivitar, you want to check the serial number. The first two numbers on vintage Vivitar lenses denotes the manufacturer. For instance, if it starts with a 37, then Tokina made it. If it starts with a 28, then Kiron made it, a 22, Komine. They were or are all good lens makers. So, yes the Vivitar 24mm f2 should be a pretty good lens. Also, in my opinion, the Canon FD or the Nikon or the Olympus are all better lenses than the Samyang. 

If I were you, I would go with the FD or the Olympus. With either, you can grab a cheap, excellent 50mm for $50 or less. With FD you can get a 24mm f2 and a 35mm f2 for around $200 each. With those 3 lenses  you will have a nice little set. Then you can look for the 17mm f4 later on for around 300 and then a zoom or two. For less than a thousand you can have an excellent set of lenses eventually. Stay with a lens maker though. 

2 hours ago, araucaria said:

Oh god, I just found a distagon 28 2 and a planar 50 1.4 for peanuts, but there are already 4 guys in line for the deal, fuuuuuuuu

Pay peanuts, get 4 monkeys! :grin:

A Tessar 45mm f/2.8 just came in here today. And I can't even adapt it yet. Any preferences for certain adapters, people? I was thinking K&F Concept (Kent & Faith) again, since I tried those last time and liked theirs, they do seem to produce it, but I just can't actually find someone selling 'em. Might be back to the Fotga ones. Then I will need a focal reducer... does anyone know of anyone that actually made a shootout of these things? I'd be eager to find out how focal reducers like the Lens Turbos from Zhongyi/ZY Optics & R.J., as well as the Kipon BAVEyes would hold up against the Metabones Speedbooster. Saw Kipon (in coorporation with IB/E Optics, Bavaria/Bayern, Germany <> Handevision) had a C/Y to M4/3 one. I guess I could try to get my hands on one from Taobao after the Spring Festival/Chinese New Year...

-- Ah, found it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Y-M4-3-Adapter-Ring-Contax-Yachica-Lens-to-Micro-4-3-Olympus-Panasonic-Camera-/201452830960

7 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Pay peanuts, get 4 monkeys! :grin:

A Tessar 45mm f/2.8 just came in here today. And I can't even adapt it yet. Any preferences for certain adapters, people? I was thinking K&F Concept (Kent & Faith) again, since I tried those last time and liked theirs, they do seem to produce it, but I just can't actually find someone selling 'em. Might be back to the Fotga ones. Then I will need a focal reducer... does anyone know of anyone that actually made a shootout of these things? I'd be eager to find out how focal reducers like the Lens Turbos from Zhongyi/ZY Optics & R.J., as well as the Kipon BAVEyes would hold up against the Metabones Speedbooster. Saw Kipon (in coorporation with IB/E Optics, Bavaria/Bayern, Germany <> Handevision) had a C/Y to M4/3 one. I guess I could try to get my hands on one from Taobao after the Spring Festival/Chinese New Year...

My understanding is that RJ makes the best off-brand SB. I use a Roxsen and have no complaints. The others may be fine, but I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

I use the Carl Zeiss tessar 45 mm f2.8 with a contax yashica to canon EF metal adaptor ring then I mount it on my metabones xl speed booster its a great little tiny lens with a lot of character I like it a lot , the metabones does sharpen it up too as the tessar is not as sharp as the distagons and planars in the Zeiss c/y range

Metabones is the best speedbooster no contest , I have almost all the others and metabones beats them all , tbe zhyongi lens turbo is the next best then the RJ in my book ! Stick with metabones if you are on a 4k panny the metabones xl is essential as it gives you a super 35mm field of view it gets rid of their x2.3 crop

8 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

My understanding is that RJ makes the best off-brand SB. I use a Roxsen and have no complaints. The others may be fine, but I don't know enough to say one way or the other.

True! I went with Roxsen for M39 to M42 at some point, wasn't too bad. Thanks for that. Yeah, I have nothing to compare to yet, but the R.J. Lens Turbo Nikon to M43 didn't leave me with much to complain and the integrated lens collar sorta say, is a very nice touch!. Did send me a FD to M43 as well, unfortunately it was pretty roughed up when it arrived, couldn't even look through the glass anymore with all the scratches of the elements that came loose. Was fun to see on the other hand how one of these things is build up... and he was pleasant to correspond with and resolve the issue by sending new optics to replace myself.

4 minutes ago, andy lee said:

I use the Carl Zeiss tessar 45 mm f2.8 with a contax yashica to canon EF metal adaptor ring then I mount it on my metabones xl speed booster its a great little tiny lens with a lot of character I like it a lot , the metabones does sharpen it up too as the tessar is not as sharp as the distagons and planars in the Zeiss c/y range

Ah, that's a sweet idea too of course. Will have to research if there's a C/Y to Nikon as well... because I should have a Nikon mount Speedbooster XL in by mail tomorrow. Not really a fan of adapter on adapter situations, but if it means I can use 0.64x on the highest quality focal reducer I would then have... then that does make sense.

Thanks for the input and getting me on the right tracks guys!

Ah, darn it. :grin: Just my luck. I see, these adapters say it's for macro and won't have infinity focus... although, the guys I was talking about, K&F Concept, have one with an optical element that claims it 'allows you to use Contax/Yashica lenses on Nikon cameras. The lens distance scale can be used as well as the focusing to infinity and the adapter has correction lens inside'. Same for a 'Kiwi fotos' one. But yeah, cheap glass in front of glass in front of glass... something tells me those are the ingredients of a bad breakfast; better skip that.

Well, the EF-version is even more expensive, albeit electronic. Which wouldn't help me much as I do not have or care for any Canon EF(-S) glass and dummy adapters would render the electronics useless too.

The Nikon one I can use already directly adapted to the 28-70 & 80-200mm f/2.8 D lenses. The Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8. Old & new Tokinas etc. So that does give a huge advantage. Maybe just not as adaptable. I didn't count on using the adapter adapted to anything other than Nikon actually, but it was some good food for afterthought! :grimace:

The Kipon BAVEyes sounds like an okay solution, but haven't seen much on them other than articles on rumor sites. The early spottings on eBay for over 300 USD was ridiculous... http://world.taobao.com/item/526919690424.htmhttp://world.tmall.com/item/526919622696.htm 1100 CNY (RMB) or 168.85 USD is what it sells for locally in China. I managed to setup a Taobao account not too long ago and placed a trial order at some place since some sellers do ship internationally now. Still... the whole site and all contact is in Chinese though, so it's a pain in the ass. Would help a lot if you could just buy one on AliExpress, eBay or Amazon, that's for sure. And then there's that A6300 too... and Zhongyi/ZY Optics do have C/Y - E-mount II.

I now own the zeiss milvus 21 mm and in addition to the 35mm,50mm & 85mm i could say these are the best lenses I ever shot with. I had a lot of fast lenses but at 1.2,1.4 they were so soft you had to stop down to f2 which defeats the purpose. All these lenses are sharp and contrasty even wide open its crazy ! Cost me a small fortune but worth it. Im going to a motorcross event and I have pit access so ill be bringing along the 35mm & 85mm with tiffen black satin filters on em ?

9 hours ago, Cinegain said:

The Kipon BAVEyes sounds like an okay solution, but haven't seen much on them other than articles on rumor sites. The early spottings on eBay for over 300 USD was ridiculous... http://world.taobao.com/item/526919690424.htmhttp://world.tmall.com/item/526919622696.htm 1100 CNY (RMB) or 168.85 USD is what it sells for locally in China. I managed to setup a Taobao account not too long ago and placed a trial order at some place since some sellers do ship internationally now. Still... the whole site and all contact is in Chinese though, so it's a pain in the ass. Would help a lot if you could just buy one on AliExpress, eBay or Amazon, that's for sure. And then there's that A6300 too... and Zhongyi/ZY Optics do have C/Y - E-mount II.

Are you shure these are the same? I think they redesigned them.