Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, sandro said:

I'm interested more in the 28mm and zoom. Depends if the 28mm at f2.8 is decently sharp.

It is pretty sharp and contrasty at 2.8, especially if you have a clean copy. Don't underestimate the 50mm though. It is a HIGHLY regarded lens that gets better reviews than the 1.4. What is your fancy with zoom lenses? Sure they're more convenient, but since you are so worried about speed, I would think primes would be better for you. You will get a way better image with primes, in most cases, and you can always use the old fashioned zoom... Your legs. 

the Pantax 28mm f2.8 is not that sharp fully wide open - the best cheap 28mm f2.8 is the canon fd version it blows the Pentax away for sharpness at 2.8 fully wide open

you can get one on ebay for $50 ish

the best 28mm f2.8 you can get this the Nikon AIS 28mm 2.8 and the Contax Carl Zeiss C/Y 28mm 2.8 - both are stunning lenses

another great option is the SIGMA 30mm f1.4 it has aspheric elements and is also stellar!!

5 minutes ago, andy lee said:

the Pantax 28mm f2.8 is not that sharp fully wide open - the best cheap 28mm f2.8 is the canon fd version it blows the Pentax away for sharpness at 2.8 fully wide open

you can get one on ebay for $50 ish

I think my definition of sharp and other people's are different. I found the Pentax-M 28mm more than sharp enough wide open, but since we're taking wide open, does the metabones XL significantly sharpen lenses wide open or just a little? 

But, yeah that is why I suggested FD lenses to him the other day. He can get the 50mm 1.8, the 28mm 2.8 and the either the 35-70 or the 35-105 all for less than $200. Or if he wanted to spend twice that, he can pick up the 28mm f2 and the 50mm 1.4 and the 24mm f2 and have a nice little set of FD lenses. 

I, personally, like the Pentax lenses better. I think they're the most overlooked vintage lenses around. And they are cheaper than FD lenses. Plus, a lot of people use FD lenses, not as many use Pentax, so your videos would have an inherently different look. But FDs are good too and cheap. 

17 hours ago, sandro said:

How much do you think I should pay for the pentax I mentioned?

A pretty good price for exc + condition of the two prime lenses would be around $75. I have no idea about the zoom. 

On February 3, 2016 at 2:26 AM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Hey guys! Is anyone here knowledgeable about the Olympus OM lens lineup? I'm looking to put together a budget set, but what little information I can find is vague and, in some cases, contradictory. 

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

I have been wondering the same question. I came across an old OM 50mm f1.8 that I bought a long time ago but never tested. Well today I threw it on the NX500, and it is a really nice lens... Wide open good.

So, I went online and encountered the same contradictions you did  

Then I went on eBay and found a 28mm f2 for a steal... About a third less than the going rate. So, I bought it now.

I really like that they made every prime focal length in a f2 version. 

Have you found out any more about them?

I also found 3 different zooms that look pretty interesting... The 35-70mm f3.5, the 35-70mm f4, and the 28-48mm f4.

Any info you, or anyone, might have would be greatly appreciated. 

7 minutes ago, jase said:

I own the 85 f2, but it is totally not my focal length, so it is collecting dust.

I hear ya, I was thinking about this earlier and wondering what long lenses people use. I have the G7 and the NX500, they both have large crops, so I rarely use anything over 50mm and usually I use a 28mm or 35mm f2. Obviously, there's a need for long lenses, I just haven't come across one yet. That 85mm f2 does look nice though. 

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

I hear ya, I was thinking about this earlier and wondering what long lenses people use. I have the G7 and the NX500, they both have large crops, so I rarely use anything over 50mm and usually I use a 28mm or 35mm f2. Obviously, there's a need for long lenses, I just haven't come across one yet. That 85mm f2 does look nice though. 

Agreed. I personally dont use anything above 50mm FF-equivalent. something a tad below like a 28mm for APS-C is next to perfect for my style of shooting.

A couple weeks ago I ordered the RMC Tokina 35mm f2 in the M42 mount. It was the first time I had ever seen the lens for sale, and there is little written about it online. I did manage to find a couple photos where it was used. They looked so good, I had to have it. It came in the other day, so I took it out this morning for a few minutes...

Canon FL 100mm 3.5 - 1960's era. LONG focus throw. This example looks like it had some fungus cleaned from an internal element, it's a little "scarred" looking when you shine a penlight down the barrel. Little metal tank, 48mm filter thread. $15. Love the colors, detail, and softness-where-you-want it. All from 4K grabs, shot wide open. Minor grade in Photoshop (just upped the blacks a bit) and a touch of sharpening, about what I'd normally do for non-people shots.

SAM_0019.jpg.73653b55b8e0b5d3ea9c9b91afb

SAM_0019-1.jpg.6d25aa7f58f5d345db837c5a1

In particular, there's some really lovely stuff going on with greens and blues. I've played with the FL 35mm 2.5 ($20), 50mm 1.8 ($20) and 19mm 3.5 R ($200, a real legend of a lens, almost zero distortion and hard to find) and they all render similarly. Looking for an 85 next, but that's a highly regarded lens to find this cheap.

SAM_0018.jpg.285663db2d2aeb66a5a758ca607

I could really see doing something narrative-short, fashion-beauty or music video with these. You could build a full set of primes, including the $15 adapters, for a couple hundred bucks (minus the 19mm which usually goes for $350 and up). Lens range also includes a 28mm, 58mm, some of the normal glass in 1.4 and 1/2 variants I believe, a 135mm 2.5(?) and a 200mm f3.5 or f4.

3 hours ago, mercer said:

A couple weeks ago I ordered the RMC Tokina 35mm f2 in the M42 mount. It was the first time I had ever seen the lens for sale, and there is little written about it online. I did manage to find a couple photos where it was used. They looked so good, I had to have it. It came in the other day, so I took it out this morning for a few minutes...

Hey Mercer,

Really like the colors you were able to pick up with the grade, last part seems a little bit dark compared to ungraded material.

Grade looks really filmic, rich colors, naturalistic, not LUT mud like:)

How did you manage to hold the lens so steady even with focusing? Did you use a speedbooster for a wider angle of view?

cheers