Jump to content

EOSHD Youtube: Thoughts on the Canon Cinema EOS R5C confirmed for 19th Jan


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, BenEricson said:

interesting! Okay thanks for clearing that up.

Yes. You’re right. They’re also doing a lot of noise removal etc. It is a really clean image. Maybe raw improves things.

Watch some 4k uploads on Vimeo of the Komodo and then watch some stuff with the C70. There is a huge difference in sharpness and color depth with the red. 

I suppose this is like the iPhone though. The good and bad is the processing. The processing hides noise and artifacts, but can remove detail etc. Ultimately, the processing an iPhone does, is optimal in most scenarios.

I probably should back up on what I said about Canon Raw Lite. I don’t have any experience with the codec but have some second hand experience. My very talented editor friend was complaining about how ridiculously slow the files were editing. (30 min to import an hour long interview.)

I recommended re-compressing the CRL files to 12 bit 444 ProRes. That seemed to be a solid work around. Again, maybe the work flow gets better / smoother as premiere releases updates. A free added feature is always welcomed. You’re right though, they just want to sell units and compete with the Komodo / Pocket 6K.

CRL plays back real time in Resolve on a gaming notebook and I’m talking about 8k so 4k is no problem at all. I shoot 95% in CRL. 

There is no need to transcode it at all maybe with other NLE is needed but not in Resolve on a good machine.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This might be my first Canon camera in years. It all depends on the video features, an in particular the VR suitable formats. To this point, one of the biggest weaknesses of the 5R (vanilla), is that there is no above 4K output at >=60fps. Simply put, 30fps for VR (even in in 8K) sucks ass, and 4K at 60 or 12fps doesn't really provide something that isn't already available in other solutions.  So I'm really hoping they can provide a 6K readout in the 5RC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HurtinMinorKey said:

This might be my first Canon camera in years. It all depends on the video features, an in particular the VR suitable formats. To this point, one of the biggest weaknesses of the 5R (vanilla), is that there is no above 4K output at >=60fps. Simply put, 30fps for VR (even in in 8K) sucks ass, and 4K at 60 or 12fps doesn't really provide something that isn't already available in other solutions.  So I'm really hoping they can provide a 6K readout in the 5RC

R5C confirmed to have internal unlimited 8K/60P Recording

Also:

Full-featured 13 assignable buttons (hint at a more C70 style body)
Simultaneous audio record enabled with HFR

RAW LITE in several bitrate flavors

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are-some-canon-eos-r5-c-specifications/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

R5C confirmed to have internal unlimited 8K/60P Recording

Also:

Full-featured 13 assignable buttons (hint at a more C70 style body)
Simultaneous audio record enabled with HFR

RAW LITE in several bitrate flavors

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are-some-canon-eos-r5-c-specifications/

Yep. I just saw this a few minutes after I made my post. Day one purchase for me now. It's also got  6K in 60fps in super 35 crop, so they literally gave me everything I was asking for. 

Although I'm guessing this thing is going to be like $6,000 at a minimum now.  Remember back in the dat 1DC was basically twice the price of the 1dX. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, gt3rs said:

CRL plays back real time in Resolve on a gaming notebook and I’m talking about 8k so 4k is no problem at all. I shoot 95% in CRL. 

There is no need to transcode it at all maybe with other NLE is needed but not in Resolve on a good machine.

 

This isn't really practical though... I'm talking about Premiere Pro, 3/4 tracks of video, multi camera etc. At least the Komodo will easily cut in premiere.

Just curious, what kind of content do you shoot with CRL and why? I really only use the Canon Cinema cameras for corporate work, doc projects, interviews, etc. Anything higher end is probably Red and I do a bunch of personal projects on film. 

I just don't see RAW video on the C70 to be totally transformative to the camera. Maybe I am wrong? If it removes some of the plastic look and feel of the Canon cameras, that would be awesome.

When I was pretty inexperienced back in 2014, I shot a ton of RAW video on the original black magic pocket. I quickly realized that the magic of that camera comes from the sensor. You can shoot ProRes and get nearly the same images, but with a much easier work flow. It is nearly impossible to tell the difference in a final edit. Of course, this all depends on the setting etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually miss my C70. The body design was fantastic (besides the flimsy LCD). 

Now rocking the FX3 and A7S3 which are a lot of fun to shoot with bare bones. I don’t enjoy handling them rigged up for bigger jobs - very cumbersome. 

Guess it will “only” be RAW in 8k/60p? (XF-AVC would be awesome). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

R5C confirmed to have internal unlimited 8K/60P Recording

Also:

Full-featured 13 assignable buttons (hint at a more C70 style body)
Simultaneous audio record enabled with HFR

RAW LITE in several bitrate flavors

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are-some-canon-eos-r5-c-specifications/

I did not expect all this I was expecting a R5 with a fan and that is it.  Audio in HFR it was just about time, but 8k 60 RAW unlimited and Super 35 6k RAW is pretty cool. XF-AVC is also great as no more hard to edit h265 10bit...
Hope it has more video centric helps like scopes etc...
If the body is not too big I will swap out one of my R5. Let see if is all true and what are the caveats.

Price will be much higher than the R5 I guess at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I actually miss my C70. The body design was fantastic (besides the flimsy LCD). 

Now rocking the FX3 and A7S3 which are a lot of fun to shoot with bare bones. I don’t enjoy handling them rigged up for bigger jobs - very cumbersome. 

Guess it will “only” be RAW in 8k/60p? (XF-AVC would be awesome). 

 

According to the latest specs released it will offer XF-AVC as well.

4 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I did not expect all this I was expecting a R5 with a fan and that is it.  Audio in HFR it was just about time, but 8k 60 RAW unlimited and Super 35 6k RAW is pretty cool. XF-AVC is also great as no more hard to edit h265 10bit...
Hope it has more video centric helps like scopes etc...
If the body is not too big I will swap out one of my R5. Let see if is all true and what are the caveats.

Price will be much higher than the R5 I guess at this point.

 

I will admit I am a bit surprised as well, I am starting to doubt my $4200USD price prediction.  I still think there is just too much competition for them to go over $5000USD. The S1H, Sony FX3, their own C70, and the Nikon Z9 will all become serious considerations if it goes above $5K USD.  

If they do keep the photography features and keep the price below $4500USD I may replace my S5 with the R5c and eventually get a second body to replace my 5DIV. Based on the new picture floating around, it kept the EVF so its off to a good start.

I am nearly convinced that this is Canon's legitimate attempt at making the perfect hybrid camera. If it has all of the photography features of the R5 and all of the listed features so far for the R5c IMO this will be the first real S1H competitor (better lens mount, useable AF, and great photography features). I'm still a little worried about video DR and the S5 has really spoiled me with its dual native ISO especially ISO4000 so it remains to be seen if the output from all of these spec sheets is as good or better than S series Panasonic footage. 

I think the big picture is that Sony has been eating Canon's lunch and Canon has no choice but to hold back the cripple hammer. If it weren't for Sony and to a lesser extent Panasonic we wouldn't even have a mirrorless Canon Pro body right now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Official Canon preview video from the upcoming stream confirms that only one camera (i.e., R5C) will be introduced during Jan 19 event: "a new addition to the Cinema EOS family . . ."

This better be good. There is no point in adding a dizzying array of codec options if the dynamic range of this camera has not been improved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, herein2020 said:

Oh I agree, the C70 will always be the better option if you are only shooting video, but if the R5c keeps all of its photography features as well it will have no equal for run and gun hybrid shooters like me since the C70 has zero photography capabilities.

The R5c sounds like it could be the general purpose workhorse photography camera while still providing enough usable video features for event videos, music videos, weddings, promo videos, etc.

If Canon strips out the photography features then they will finally once and for all be dead to me.

C70 does capture 8MP JPEG photos, so not 0 photography capability

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kaylee said:

eosr5c-740x600.jpg

could this be it...SLR form factor with a vent on the side...?

I really hope is like this, a R5 with a vent, hope they keep the same swivel screen.... I don't want to go back to 1D style of bodies and weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this camera is getting interesting.. RAW LT options is a nice surprise. Looks like Canon finally has an efficient RAW codec.

by the way what resolution & crop factor does this correspond to: 2976 x 1570 (Super 16mm) ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Django said:

 

by the way what resolution & crop factor does this correspond to: 2976 x 1570 (Super 16mm) ?

8192 / 2976 = 2.75x crop from a 8k DCI and around 3x from the full frame 3:2 sensor

Res is a tiny bit more than 2.7k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, BenEricson said:

This isn't really practical though... I'm talking about Premiere Pro, 3/4 tracks of video, multi camera etc. At least the Komodo will easily cut in premiere.

 

Is not practical for you because the lazy Adobe developers...... Is not that RED RAW is faster is just the software implementation in Premiere that is faster.....

Again in Resolve 8k CRL is way faster than any of the h265 codecs that R5 has even 8bit ones.....

Instead of advising to transcode CRL to ProRes you should write to Adobe that they wake up or just stop paying lazy Adobe for the subscription.... they are always late and slow with all.... I'm still paying PS subscription but boy they are lazy.

CRL vs 10bit gives you a tad more DR, changing the WB, ISO after the fact. It also don't break a part as quick as Log3 10 bit files at least with my editing skills. So for me is the faster of the codec that R5 has for editing and the one giving me more quality and flexibility so why I should not use it? Only draw back is storage but I don't do long stuff and I have brought 2 x 2 TB CFexpress for 499$ each (ca. 500 hours of CRL at 24p)

So you can believe me or not but with the R5 and my PC the CRL is the one giving me the faster turnaround..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm, pro monitoring tools (false color, WF) are ostensibly absent in the leaked specs...not good.

They should be featured considering the R5C is a c-line cinema camera that needs to fit within a pro workflow. One of the dealbreakers of the Sony FX-3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...