Jump to content

Canon EOS R5C


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

$4,400. wow that's way less than I expected. Has WFM & false color too! 

Lack of IBIS is a bummer, there is your "cripple hammer". Knew they had to take off something, especially at that price.

This camera is for hybrid shooters that want/need FF 6K/8K Raw with no overheating. 

Love/Hate Canon but there simply is no competition at such a price point.

C70 getting CRL makes lot more sense now because this 5RC packs a lot of punch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, Django said:

$4,400. wow that's way less than I expected. Has WFM & false color too! 

Lack of IBIS is a bummer, there is your "cripple hammer". Knew they had to take off something, especially at that price.

This camera is for hybrid shooters that want/need FF 6K/8K Raw with no overheating. 

Love/Hate Canon but there simply is no competition at such a price point.

C70 getting CRL makes lot more sense now because this 5RC packs a lot of punch.

 

I called it.....no way they would get away with $6K. No IBIS really sucks, it will remain to be seen how good the digital IS + Lens IS is. I am also trying to figure out of the power port is USB-C or if it actually needs the full wall power supply which would be another major bummer since I already have a V-Mount USB-C setup for my other cameras.

 

4 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Any source on that one? The R5 does not have dual ISO, and they use the same sensor.

 

I am curious about this as well, dual ISO would be awesome. I would think they could use the same sensor and just route it to dual gain circuits but maybe it is not that simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Worst intro video ever, it is so bad and completely useless.

Completely and utterly horrid, confusing, and a waste of time. I didn't even make it through 20% of the video even after fast forwarding. I couldn't even tell if the whole thing was shot with the R5c or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I am also trying to figure out of the power port is USB-C or if it actually needs the full wall power supply which would be another major bummer since I already have a V-Mount USB-C setup for my other cameras.

From Newsshooter: "Canon has a new AC adapter for the R5 C as well as a compact power adapter and a DC coupler that features a dummy battery at one end. While Canon hasn’t stated that you will be able to shoot 8K 50/60p with a V-lock battery, etc. I think it is safe to assume that you could by attaching the DC coupler to another battery source."
So it won't be powered via USB-C, but you can probably find a solution to power it with an external battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

 

I called it.....no way they would get away with $6K. No IBIS really sucks, it will remain to be seen how good the digital IS + Lens IS is. I am also trying to figure out of the power port is USB-C or if it actually needs the full wall power supply which would be another major bummer since I already have a V-Mount USB-C setup for my other cameras.

 

 

I am curious about this as well, dual ISO would be awesome. I would think they could use the same sensor and just route it to dual gain circuits but maybe it is not that simple.

Dual ISO is confirmed in the menus and several people show it on Youtube.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I stand corrected. Looking at the DXOMark graph, it seems like the dual gain is at 100/400 ISO. Good to know!

It looks like one of the ISO's is 3200, can't tell from this statement what the other one is....3200ISO could be close enough to work for my typical low light projects:

 

A highly enthusiastic ukulele player is on hand to demonstrate the benefits of the EOS R5 C's new Dual Base ISO feature (a first for Canon), which "allows for expanded sensitivity and minimal noise when shooting in low-light environments".

This could be a pretty useful feature – it's different from the Canon EOS C70's Dual Gain output, instead letting the EOS R5 C shoot natively at two different ISOs values, depending on which format you're shooting in. But if you regularly shoot at, for example ISO 1600 or ISO 3200, it could be bonus over the EOS R5.

 

From TR: https://www.techradar.com/news/live/canon-cinema-eos-camera-launch-live-follow-our-analysis-as-it-happens

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Attila Bakos said:

From Newsshooter: "Canon has a new AC adapter for the R5 C as well as a compact power adapter and a DC coupler that features a dummy battery at one end. While Canon hasn’t stated that you will be able to shoot 8K 50/60p with a V-lock battery, etc. I think it is safe to assume that you could by attaching the DC coupler to another battery source."
So it won't be powered via USB-C, but you can probably find a solution to power it with an external battery.

It can be powered by the USB-C you need a PD compliant one and powerful enough. Canon R5 you need a 45W one I bet this one too.

Cameralabs used a Mac charger to power it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

It seems Canon went a lot further than Sony's FX3 by giving the R5C full C line menu & options including custom LUT support, assist tools & recording options. The dual gain ISO is also quite a welcome surprise. I honestly wasn't expecting all that, especially with such a small bump to the R5 price point.

I'm still leaning towards the C70 for I/Os, NDs & battery life, but the R5C is a very compelling alternative considering you gain 8K and a 45MP stills camera at a much cheaper price point with not much compromises!

I guess I'll still need to see what the DR comparisons in between C70 (with CRL) & R5C are to make final decision. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

I called it.....no way they would get away with $6K. No IBIS really sucks, it will remain to be seen how good the digital IS + Lens IS is. I am also trying to figure out of the power port is USB-C or if it actually needs the full wall power supply which would be another major bummer since I already have a V-Mount USB-C setup for my other cameras.

If the digital stabilization is anything like Sony's, it can be much better than IBIS in many cases - with the crop caveat.

Disappointed no internal ND's. But looking at the spec, heat management is really holding the R5 back LOL! If this was available when the R5 launched, I would own one and a regular R5. I was ready to switch until the overheating reared its ugly head. Oh well...

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got to try the R5c at a Canon event just now. The camera was much bigger  than my impressions from the videos. It also seems like the camera reboots completely when you switch between photo and video mode. This makes the switch take longer than on the R5, but you get completely new interface with shutter angle and so on. I am also pleased so see that it can handle 4 audio channels. My impression is that this is not a hybrid camera, but a cinema camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

If the digital stabilization is anything like Sony's, it can be much better than IBIS in many cases - with the crop caveat.

Disappointed no internal ND's. But looking at the spec, heat management is really holding the R5 back LOL! If this was available when the R5 launched, I would own one and a regular R5. I was ready to switch until the overheating reared its ugly head. Oh well...

Chris

 

I studied the digital IS for the C70 and watched every handheld video I could find and they all looked jittery to me. I get no IBIS helps if it is on a gimbal or tripod/monopod but I never have any problems with the IBIS in my S5 regardless of what I mount it to except when using very wide angle lenses and in those cases it is easy to turn it off. 

I still say the best digital IS I've ever seen is GoPro's implementation (far better than any IBIS system); granted they are stabilizing a very small sensor. I will need to wait and see if the R5c's digital IS combined with Lens IS looks stable enough for my needs, but so far I haven't been impressed by Canon's digital IS.

 

5 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I got to try the R5c at a Canon event. The camera was much bigger  than my impressions from the videos. It also seems like the camera reboots completely when you switch between photo and video mode. This makes the switch take longer than on the R5, but you get completely new interface with shutter angle and so on. I am also pleased so see that it can handle 4 audio channels. My impression is that this is not a hybrid camera, but a cinema camera.

 

I saw some reports that it is almost a 9 second reboot.  This really does look like a cinema camera for hybrid shooters like me. It checks all of the boxes for me except the IBIS and I can't tell if the DR increased for video. Lens IS only is fine for me for photography, my 5DIV only has lens IS, but it will take a lot to convince me that the digital IS can outperform my S5's IBIS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • EOSHD Pro Color 5 for All Sony cameras
    EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
    EOSHD Dynamic Range Enhancer for H.264/H.265
×
×
  • Create New...