Jump to content

Canon R6 overheats as well.


Matthew19

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

 

Guys he said he shot in 4k24p. Funny enough the R6 should not overheat in 4k30p and below according to Canon. That's very very scary ! i can't imagine the R5 with the extreme 8k and 4k120p modes. I will wait for the A7sIII to come out before deciding if I keep my S1H or if I make the jump back to Sony, but honestly Canon is now out of my list.

If he shot 4k 24 (which Canon claim no recording limit) and he encountered such issues this actually makes me think it's a potential issue with that specific camera or because its a pre production model. Otherwise Canon have lied, which I find hard to believe given people will test it within days. 

Either way more detailed testing of production units is required before making judgement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

R6 will overheat in 4K60p after 30-40mn & in 4K30p after 40-50mn (depending on FF/S35 modes). Shouldn't be any overheating issues in 4K24p/25p. Let's just remember we're talking FF no cr

I tried to tease the basics out of him but he was having none of it. Just the usual Cinema5D c**ty line of "you're just a tester, leave the actual filmmaking work to us"!

@ade towell There are two ways of looking at this, glass half-empty or half-full. Andrew made a good post about this: https://www.eoshd.com/8k/a-closer-look-at-the-canon-eos-r5-lower-quality-4k-mode-t

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Guys he said he shot in 4k24p. Funny enough the R6 should not overheat in 4k30p and below according to Canon. That's very very scary ! i can't imagine the R5 with the extreme 8k and 4k120p modes. I will wait for the A7sIII to come out before deciding if I keep my S1H or if I make the jump back to Sony, but honestly Canon is now out of my list.

Actually according to Canon, the R6 does have a time limit in 4K30p and hence overheats. Only R5 has a "not limited by heat" 4K30p mode:

canon-temps-enregistrement-video-1-940x4

We know nothing of the temperature or length Behiri was shooting at so maybe nothing too surprising considering the above chart.

Anyways, R6 is off my list for now but I still have some hopes left for R5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Django said:

Actually according to Canon, the R6 does have a time limit in 4K30p and hence overheats. Only R5 has a "not limited by heat" 4K30p mode:

canon-temps-enregistrement-video-1-940x4

We know nothing of the temperature or length Behiri was shooting at so maybe nothing too surprising considering the above chart.

He said it was about 29°C approximately. But the most annoying thing is that he told even in 1080p he couldn't shoot most f the time and he had no info on when he could shoot again once it sopped recording. To me it's alarming. I can't tell my clients to wait a few minutes or even 10 minutes before shooting again because my tool is not reliable.
We'll see, cause maybe he had a faulty camera, but to me it seems to be dead on arrival (for professional filmmaking).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah R6 overheats in all 4K modes. Once it overheats, you basically gotta wait for it to cool off (which depends on shooting environment temperature). It clearly isn't the right tool for long interviews or all day run & gun shoots. Maybe ok as a B-cam. A-cam never on a pro shoot given the uncertainty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Django said:

Actually according to Canon, the R6 does have a time limit in 4K30p and hence overheats. Only R5 has a "not limited by heat" 4K30p mode:

canon-temps-enregistrement-video-1-940x4

We know nothing of the temperature or length Behiri was shooting at so maybe nothing too surprising considering the above chart.

Anyways, R6 is off my list for now but I still have some hopes left for R5.

Seen some comments on FB about the R6 not overheating at all when recording externally. But I’ve seen no evidence. 

Also, Gerald Undone has concluded the R5 overheats in 4kHQ after 1 hour 14 mins when recording externally.   

Even though it seems the cameras should be fine for a lot of situations, just knowing the issue is there could be really annoying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Also, Gerald Undone has concluded the R5 overheats in 4kHQ after 1 hour 14 mins when recording externally.   

Even though it seems the cameras should be fine for a lot of situations, just knowing the issue is there could be really annoying. 

That's a significant bump compared to the 15 or so minutes people seem to be getting internally in HQ mode. Plus ProRes files will be easier to edit than the massive bitrate the R5 generates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Django said:

^ Again, R6 overheats in all 4K modes. Not a camera I would trust on a pro shoot. B-cam for short clips maybe. 

I regard myself as a pro shooter as that’s how I earn a living. 

I’m almost always leading a very small crew, and shoot solo without focus pullers. 
I’m currently on the EVA1 and GH5. I always use an external monitor. 

The Canons interest me because of the very lightweight DPAF on a gimbal up to 4k120fps, the creative possibilities that brings and other obvious benefits such as colour and full frame stills. 

Using external could offer that peace of mind, if in fact what people are chattering about is true. However, I do have an issue with the issue existing, when I don’t have the problem now. 

We’ll see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I regard myself as a pro shooter as that’s how I earn a living. 

I’m almost always leading a very small crew, and shoot solo without focus pullers. 
I’m currently on the EVA1 and GH5. I always use an external monitor. 

The Canons interest me because of the very lightweight DPAF on a gimbal up to 4k120fps, the creative possibilities that brings and other obvious benefits such as colour and full frame stills. 

Using external could offer that peace of mind, if in fact what people are chattering about is true. However, I do have an issue with the issue existing, when I don’t have the problem now. 

We’ll see. 

External recording could offer some peace of mind, until the micro hdmi breaks!!!, we are going to need an armes to prevent that port to get loose, Canon really screwed up there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, herein2020 said:

For me that camera is DOA if that is how it performs in the real world. My GH5 has NEVER overheated and it regularly shoots after sitting in a 120 degree car, in hot direct Florida sunlight and nearly always at 4K60FPS.

There is so much info missing from the C5D 'review' but it isn't looking good.

How long was his average take

How long was the average break and how many, through the entire shoot

How long was his longest take

How long was the average gap inbetween clips

When the ice pack came out, how many hours was he into the shoot

How many hours was the total shoot??

Was the camera switched on all the time, even when not recording

If so for how long

How much was indoors, how much outside? Was it sunny?

What was the temp indoor?

There is less technical and detailed info in the review than in the average episode of The Simpsons

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

There is so much info missing from the C5D 'review' but it isn't looking good.

How long was his average take

How long was the average break and how many, through the entire shoot

How long was his longest take

How long was the average gap inbetween clips

When the ice pack came out, how many hours was he into the shoot

How many hours was the total shoot??

Was the camera switched on all the time, even when not recording

If so for how long

How much was indoors, how much outside? Was it sunny?

What was the temp indoor?

There is less technical and detailed info in the review than in the average episode of The Simpsons

It is a disaster of a review. Purely anecdotal evidence with no actual numbers. I think the most we can take out is it can't be used on professional jobs at all in high temperatures (summer in Japan). 

I am first one to put up my hand and say I thought it was a great camera coming out, but this is unmitigated disaster. Canon are done as far as I am concerned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

It is a disaster of a review. Purely anecdotal evidence with no actual numbers. I think the most we can take out is it can't be used on professional jobs at all in high temperatures (summer in Japan). 

 

Just saw a news article a few minutes ago about wild fires in Siberia and temps in the 30s (celsius).   Maybe it needs to be used NORTH of the Arctic circle?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, noone said:

Just saw a news article a few minutes ago about wild fires in Siberia and temps in the 30s (celsius).   Maybe it needs to be used NORTH of the Arctic circle?

 

To be fair he is using it for extended long-shot interviews. 

But if it is a sealed system, external temp shouldn't affect it so much - as shown by Northrup vid.  

Just looks like a big ole fail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Yurolov said:

It is a disaster of a review. Purely anecdotal evidence with no actual numbers. I think the most we can take out is it can't be used on professional jobs at all in high temperatures (summer in Japan). 

I am first one to put up my hand and say I thought it was a great camera coming out, but this is unmitigated disaster. Canon are done as far as I am concerned. 

I tried to tease the basics out of him but he was having none of it.

Just the usual Cinema5D c**ty line of "you're just a tester, leave the actual filmmaking work to us"!

Screenshot-2020-07-25-at-03.41.17.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...