Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Exactly. They wanted to make a workhorse m43, they put a huge heat sink there, they wanted a workhorse full frame camera, they added active cooling. The only reason Black Magic 4/6K cameras are that big, is the cooling solutions.

It is not a coincidence that normal video cameras are quite big, at least bigger than the common mirrorless. It is well known that maximum performance's enemy is heat, look at the cooling solutions in PCs.

Quite obviously this is not a video workhorse camera, it is a great photocamera with a good showcase of what is coming in the C series.

Panasonic should get credit and applauded for the engineering behind the S1H. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This thread is insane. All this over a chart without any actual tests. I remember buying the a6300, a7s2 and a7r2 despite the internet overload about overheating, single card slots that no profes

Maybe Canon will come out with an ice pack option:

My thoughts:  I don’t really get how people are upset that 8k raw overheats...why are you looking at a small mirrorless camera if you need long captures of 8k raw to begin with? Buy a real cinema

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Exactly. They wanted to make a workhorse m43, they put a huge heat sink there, they wanted a workhorse full frame camera, they added active cooling. The only reason Black Magic 4/6K cameras are that big, is the cooling solutions.

It is not a coincidence that normal video cameras are quite big, at least bigger than the common mirrorless. It is well known that maximum performance's enemy is heat, look at the cooling solutions in PCs.

Quite obviously this is not a video workhorse camera, it is a great photocamera with a good showcase of what is coming in the C series.

They simply don't want it.

  

35 minutes ago, Super8 said:

You still have heat generated but not nearly as much as internally.

Now this would be another Atomos partnership which hasn't been as perfect as if could have been with other companies. 

 

Let's hope a third party such as Atomos may want to complement it if possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I mean, at least it works? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I joke. Mostly...

It just seems that lately, some folks want and expect the moon on a stick, but also, camera companies have been letting us down to a degree.

Most of the Fuji issues seem to be because it's IBIS is not as good as a gimbal.

Panasonic gave a lot, except it seems autofocus.

Sigma gave us fantastic image quality, modularity and size, but left out pretty much everything else.

First gen Canon had some weird specs.

First gen Nikon less so, but still some issues.

Olympus decided to go to one of those special clinics in Switzerland.

Sony have...well Sony have not been doing anything for some time and hope we don't notice their horrid little body.

Now Canon announce the 'grail cameras' (cue heavenly light and organ music) but it turns out they hoped no one would notice they become hot, switch off and have a little lie down for a while.

It all depends on your useage of course.

I don't think the limitations of the R5 or R6 would affect me at all and so both will undoubtedly be great hybrids.

Same goes for the rest above except the Sigma which would be far too frustrating for my needs as much as I want to love it, but I could probably swing the Z6 (it's successor sounds luke warm to some but sounds near perfect to me) and I know I could make the XT4 work.

But I can see why some feel frustrated. I'm a bit frustrated myself with all of them because with them all there's a degree of, "why the fuck did you not just...??!!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I joke. Mostly...

It just seems that lately, some folks want and expect the moon on a stick, but also, camera companies have been letting us down to a degree.

Most of the Fuji issues seem to be because it's IBIS is not as good as a gimbal.

Panasonic gave a lot, except it seems autofocus.

Sigma gave us fantastic image quality, modularity and size, but left out pretty much everything else.

First gen Canon had some weird specs.

First gen Nikon less so, but still some issues.

Olympus decided to go to one of those special clinics in Switzerland.

Sony have...well Sony have not been doing anything for some time and hope we don't notice their horrid little body.

Now Canon announce the 'grail cameras' (cue heavenly light and organ music) but it turns out they hoped no one would notice they become hot, switch off and have a little lie down for a while.

It all depends on your useage of course.

I don't think the limitations of the R5 or R6 would affect me at all and so both will undoubtedly be great hybrids.

Same goes for the rest above except the Sigma which would be far too frustrating for my needs as much as I want to love it, but I could probably swing the Z6 (it's successor sounds luke warm to some but sounds near perfect to me) and I know I could make the XT4 work.

But I can see why some feel frustrated. I'm a bit frustrated myself with all of them because with them all there's a degree of, "why the fuck did you not just...??!!"

I understand what you mean but, to me, it's inexcusable that they didn't adapt to these issues and instead just decided to release it as is as a way to try and hurt their competitors. To me that's the real motivation behind this release and that sucks. 

Inevitably there will be people that create lovely work with this camera, as can be done with pretty much any camera released today, but we should expect more from these companies. Limits should be expected, especially as boundaries get pushed, but not at the expense of basic functionality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what the big complaints are.  Really, any camera in this form factor having these insane specs is probably going to suffer some overheating issues if you push it to the limits.  If you need to record 8k or 4k/120 for more than  20 min, then you should be getting a different dedicated cinema style camera and not a hybrid.  Also, it should be noted, that these were all pre-production R5's that people have been testing so overheating issues could be much improved in final versions.

Also at this level, people typically record to external recorders like the Atomos Ninja V (for 4k only), which resolves the 30 min recording limit and could also help with the overheating issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jtdiddy said:

I'm not sure what the big complaints are.  Really, any camera in this form factor having these insane specs is probably going to suffer some overheating issues if you push it to the limits.  If you need to record 8k or 4k/120 for more than  20 min, then you should be getting a different dedicated cinema style camera and not a hybrid.  Also, it should be noted, that these were all pre-production R5's that people have been testing so overheating issues could be much improved in final versions.

Also at this level, people typically record to external recorders like the Atomos Ninja V, which resolves the 30 min recording limit and could also help with the overheating issue. 

Specs are cool. So is having a reliable camera. 

There's really no excuse for not adding cooling mechanisms if you know that overheating will be an issue. It kinda blows my mind that people don't get that part. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jtdiddy said:

I'm not sure what the big complaints are.  Really, any camera in this form factor having these insane specs is probably going to suffer some overheating issues if you push it to the limits.  If you need to record 8k or 4k/120 for more than  20 min, then you should be getting a different dedicated cinema style camera and not a hybrid.  

The argument that you should use a dedicated cinema camera is an old one for Canon users.  In the past, this was used to argue why Canon cameras didn't have strong video specs.  Now its being used to argue why very strong video specs are leading to potential reliability issues when filming.

The argument is crap, as other camera makers are learning to walk the fine line between specs and reliability.  Canon has already nailed AF, arguably a very important video spec that is lacking in say Panasonic cameras.  Yet muddle the other specs, often it seems to distance their smaller hybrid cameras from their own cinema cameras.  

There is a need for a reliable, fullframe hybrid camera, with great AF, great specs that can do both photo and video to a professional standard.

Trouble is no one wants to make such a camera for us.  And we are so close.  If Panasonic had given us great AF, or if Canon stopped chasing 8K and focused on delivering just great 4K that didn't overheat the camera, we'd be virtually there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Specs are cool. So is having a reliable camera. 

There's really no excuse for not adding cooling mechanisms if you know that overheating will be an issue. It kinda blows my mind that people don't get that part. 

but who's to say the R5 is not reliable?  if u looks there are alot of early reviews saying that they had no overheating issues with the R5. 

in this form factor, do u really think a little fan is gonna improve overheating that much?  if u do, then you're just not being realistic. 

I for one, are grateful for these overheat limitations and warnings to protect the camera.  

Those who understand the R5, its meant for short bursts of high end 8k, 4k/120 video not elongated usage at these specs.  

We'll see what happens when the production models roll out but I have a hunch, that the R5 will do 4k/60 or less with no major overheating issues 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Jtdiddy said:

 

Those who understand the R5, its meant for short bursts of high end 8k, 4k/120 video not elongated usage at these specs.  

I don't imagine anyone who hasn't used the R5 consistently for at least several weeks can claim to understand the R5 and its pros and cons fully.  All we have now are specs, a selection of basic YouTube reviews and some extra details on how overheating is managed.  No doubt its release will clarify any issues in more detail than is available to us now.  Ideally we should wait till then before casting this camera into video hell.

If overheating is a genuine issue, then its not a case so much as the camera is meant for short bursts, rather that it is limited to them. 🤣🤣  In which case, it'll be a big fat negative, no matter what spin is put on it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

But I can see why some feel frustrated. I'm a bit frustrated myself with all of them because with them all there's a degree of, "why the fuck did you not just...??!!"

That’s why its a camera conspiracy.

I’ve never seen a industry like the camera industry. It’s weirdly opaque in the hardware department. Can’t tell if it’s incompetence or genius.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jtdiddy said:

I'm not sure what the big complaints are.  Really, any camera in this form factor having these insane specs is probably going to suffer some overheating issues if you push it to the limits.  If you need to record 8k or 4k/120 for more than  20 min, then you should be getting a different dedicated cinema style camera and not a hybrid.  Also, it should be noted, that these were all pre-production R5's that people have been testing so overheating issues could be much improved in final versions.

Also at this level, people typically record to external recorders like the Atomos Ninja V (for 4k only), which resolves the 30 min recording limit and could also help with the overheating issue. 

Yes and NO and Maybe is my response to your opinion.  

We don't really know how 8K from the R5-R6 image quality will be yet.  The 120p @4K looks amazing. 

With all this spec talk the #1 goal should always be image quality.   I think this gets lost because we still have the gap between hybrid cameras and cine camera image quality.  No one on here has busted out the P6K or GH5 on a super cool creative job (maybe we all have but no one has shared that quest with us).  This is the reason why we are still looking for the next camera with awesome specs and equal image quality. 

Not why the S1H, S1 or P6K don't check the boxes that would create massive sales that have mega movie productions adapting these camera as the only option.

 

------ Atomos Neon: 8K ProRes and ProRes RAW -------

Link to post
Share on other sites

This over heating stuff puts me in a weird position. Really need to get some clarity on exactly what modes the R6 overheats in. Will it be better because its IPB and not All-I? Is it only limited to 4k60 Full Frame? What about crop mode? If the crop is fine, then its still a better buy than a used 1dx m II or even a 1dx m iii if ur only goal is 4k 24p and 4k60p and can live with the 1.4 crop.. or will the video look like garbage in the crop mode? 

FML

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2020 at 10:36 AM, zerocool22 said:

You know even camera's that cost 10 times as much have the same IR issue(RED)? Its not even an issue, you use a IR filter. I guess most camera's are flawed in your perspective, oh gee I cannot shoot at 1.2 during a sunny afternoon because its all overexposed, yeah guess what "the ND filter was also not included".   

IR/far red contamination issues with RED cameras does not mean those RED owners don't address it does it?  It more the fact that P6K owners on the EOS and You Tube don't see IR/far red contamination issues in P6K footage.  If they are using a IR Cut filter they also clearly can't see if it's the right one to use with the P6K.  It's not one size fits all or fix all.

RED color science blows BM away and especially the P6K. 

Don't quit your day job to do stand up because you're not good at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...