Canon EOS R5 has serious overheating issues – in both 4K and 8K

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Dunjoye said:

What's even funnier, were people that were saying the heating issue was a lazy excuse for Canon not implementing raw & higher bit rate on their DSLR  years back are now the same people complaining about over heating on the R5 & R6. 

I guess there is no pleasing some. 

You know what Panasonic did when they released a camera that needed active cooling to prevent it from overheating? 

They added a fan and vents. 

Why? Because it made no sense to offer all the features of the S1H if it couldn't handle it. 

It was a choice to go this route. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

You know what Panasonic did when they released a camera that needed active cooling to prevent it from overheating? 

Why? Because it made no sense to offer all the features of the S1H if it couldn't handle it. 

In a couple of words:

business & C-series.

12 hours ago, Super8 said:

Would an external recorder solve the overheating issue? 

Might this be the SAVE that Canon could use?

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

But at the same time, they forgot to add auto focus.

No one out there is quite ticking all the boxes are they...

56 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

In a couple of words:

business & C-series.

That links does not work in the quote.

I did go back and see the response you wrote about your own hdmi question.

Firmware would easily unlock the other recording modes to and external recorder.  Unless this isn't technically  possible I'm not worried about the R5 overheating issue.  External will be the way to go.

8 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Dude once again, that is on you and not the camera. You know you need to shoot with an IR filter on a bm camera.... 

Offcourse they are still selling them as they are brilliant cameras for an amazing price. 

Of course they are still selling them with the IR issue.  Brilliant is not the word I would use for unstable color.

5 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Of course they are still selling them with the IR issue.  Brilliant is not the word I would use for unstable color.

You know even camera's that cost 10 times as much have the same IR issue(RED)? Its not even an issue, you use a IR filter. I guess most camera's are flawed in your perspective, oh gee I cannot shoot at 1.2 during a sunny afternoon because its all overexposed, yeah guess what "the ND filter was also not included".   

15 minutes ago, ade towell said:

It is so well documented that BM cameras need IR filter I find it hard to believe any person working in the industry is not aware of this. It is down to you to hire crew who know what they are doing if you haven't a clue yourself

It's up to the crew to provide cameras that delivery usable footage.  The crew did not deliver what was promised.

IR pollution is on all BMP6K footage to some extent.

Look at 7:00 in on this video.   The right side of that dress where the sun is hitting has IR pollution cast over that dress.  All scenes with that dress and direct sunlight show this.

I've actually grown to hate that BMP4-6K vintage look they produce because they colors are so off.

3 minutes ago, ade towell said:

With proper IR filter the BM cameras produce wonderful colour. You should do your research and hire crew that know what they're doing 

The problem is when information from genuine professionals is messed up with disinformation from trolls.

4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

image.thumb.png.e0991b76178d29b5ff3affd82486ed86.png

No other recording modes.

And with most cameras external recording modes can be unlocked via firmware.

2 minutes ago, techie said:

The problem is when information from genuine professionals is messed up with disinformation from trolls.

You can look at the sample video I posted.  

Yes you need a IR filter with BM cameras but most assume it's only if you use ND filters.

Just now, Emanuel said:

If so, to couple with an external recorder might do the trick if the heat doesn't come up internally from sensor.

You still have heat generated but not nearly as much as internally.

Now this would be another Atomos partnership which hasn't been as perfect as if could have been with other companies. 

12 minutes ago, Super8 said:

It's up to the crew to provide cameras that delivery usable footage.  The crew did not deliver what was promised.

IR pollution is on all BMP6K footage to some extent.

Look at 7:00 in on this video.   The right side of that dress where the sun is hitting has IR pollution cast over that dress.  All scenes with that dress and direct sunlight show this.

I've actually grown to hate that BMP4-6K vintage look they produce because they colors are so off.

Whats the point of bringing in examples without an IR cut filter.... 
Maybe your part of the reason why disney only releases junk. (except for the mandalorian)

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Exactly. They wanted to make a workhorse m43, they put a huge heat sink there, they wanted a workhorse full frame camera, they added active cooling. The only reason Black Magic 4/6K cameras are that big, is the cooling solutions.

It is not a coincidence that normal video cameras are quite big, at least bigger than the common mirrorless. It is well known that maximum performance's enemy is heat, look at the cooling solutions in PCs.

Quite obviously this is not a video workhorse camera, it is a great photocamera with a good showcase of what is coming in the C series.

10 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Whats the point of bringing in examples without an IR cut filter.... 
Maybe your part of the reason why disney only releases junk. (except for the mandalorian)

Because people assume BM and P6K only has IR issues if they use ND's.

Why do you mention Disney and me together?