Jump to content

Google's YouTube monopoly


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

I will have to push on with my YouTube channel double-quick pace. Really enjoyed doing the first video.

However, I fear the written word is dead and here's why.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 00.37.37.png

Look how much space YouTube takes up on a typical Google search and how far it pushes the first result down the page for EOSHD.

The first result for "Iscorama GH5" is this forum. But it's barely noticeable with all the YouTube videos.

YouTube is a Google service and this is an abuse of a monopoly plain and simple and they should be taken to court.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Google monopoly is killing the competition. I don't use Vimeo any more due to the DMCA and playback issues but man, is Google doing their best to kill everything other than their own services. They are almost as bad as Facebook.

For you guys to be top result worldwide for Iscorama is such an achievement but YouTube have put FOUR videos above you so they can reap the advertising reward during playback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And here I am, in my early twenties - so I'm technically a millennial / Generation Y - with my my strong preference towards written word.

I deeply hate the fact that people nowadays tend to turn their blogs into vlogs, etc.
For me, having to go to YouTube for a piece of information that could be put clearly in two or three sentences is one of the plagues of 21st century.

I understand that our hobby - cameras and stuff related to them - is a visual hobby and words can't always be used to show what we mean or to share what we managed to create using our babies.

Nonetheless, I think that over 30% of YouTube content could easily be transcribed and deprived of audio-visual stimuli and we, as viewers, would only gain from it.

It's just terribly tiring, how much shit, unneeded clutter there is to almost everything.
You could say that you save your time, because there are no ads per se, but the amount of in-video marketing and advertising, etc. is terrifying.

 

But still, not every channel is like this and, surely, there are some that are really worth being subscribed to.

The amount of knowledge that can be found on YT (if you know what you're looking for) is invaluable and often can't be put into words that easily.

 

It's a tough nut to crack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem is that on youtube in theory is easy to monetize the content so everybody has or is switching from text/blog to yt...... where the first to put out the content normally wins..... so the name of the game is get hw from manufacturer early than the release, do a quick review mentioning is the greatest thing on earth (so you get device again) and post it 1ms after ND is lifted.
Me personally I hate video review especially the ones reading the spec sheet and some even without having the hw yet. For the same item there are gazillions of review so is super hard to find a quality one. And for camera judging quality on a yt video is just impossible. 

On the other side of the spectrum some athlete for example, in way less known sports, they can make good money by creating compelling content based on great athletic performances. Same for some musician and so on.... there is really some great made compelling content but in a jungle of total c...p.

Bandwidth and storage are soo expensive that nobody can really compete with these giants and once the service is free or you get even some money to post why using something else..... 

I wish there would be at least 1 competitor in this area......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Who remembers this guy from the camera scene?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCptwuAv0XQHo1OQUSaO6NHw/videos

He soon changed interests when he saw the amount of views coming in for the Macbook benchmark videos so he is now all about that.

First for virtually every google search for the Macbook Pro 16 graphics benchmark topics.

Max is playing the system very successfully.

49 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Problem is that on youtube in theory is easy to monetize the content so everybody has or is switching from text/blog to yt

Hopefully less competition for written blogs... But I feel they are being pushed into oblivion instead... some kind of invisible irrelevance by Google and Facebook's bias, always recommending stuff hosted on their own services in response to searches and the news feed AI.

Plus I hate digging for good stuff. Same old tech blogs dominate the first 2 pages of everywhere, usually. And it's mostly clickbait trash written in a rush and full of ads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Who remembers this guy from the camera scene?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCptwuAv0XQHo1OQUSaO6NHw/videos

He soon changed interests when he saw the amount of views coming in for the Macbook benchmark videos so he is now all about that.

First for virtually every google search for the Macbook Pro 16 graphics benchmark topics.

Max is playing the system very successfully.

Kinda sad he doesn't do any camera reviews now, I liked many of his. 

In fact, does his filmmaking videos still exist?? Not on that channel, I scrolled all the way back and the oldest are from just a year ago! :-o

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Maksimyuryev/videos

Nope, it is still all good, he is making them! Just not that frequently, and on a different channel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course google tries to monetize its content, they bought Youtube for a reason and integration among platforms is natural. Same thing when FB purchased and ruined IG. That being said, there are plenty of other search engines out there even though Google is the dominant player. Which brings us to the definition of all these major silicon valley companies who became so powerful that regular market rules are irrelevant for them in the sense of free and fair competition. They are in a "winner take all" industry. Since the Federal government doesn't seem very active on the matter, many states are looking into the issue and there might be some answers:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/05/states-lean-toward-pushing-to-break-up-googles-ad-tech-business.html

same thing for FB

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-under-antitrust-investigation-by-47-states-as-zuckerberg-prepares-to-face-congress/

Wait and see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing about the written word is you can’t tell which way round I am wearing my baseball cap or if I am even wearing underpants.

I think there’s a place for both but too many people on MeTube spend far too much time talking about their lives when the reality is, we don’t know you and don’t give a shit.

But what do I know being of 1970 vintage and moving into the miserable old git category...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I will have to push on with my YouTube channel double-quick pace. Really enjoyed doing the first video.

However, I fear the written word is dead and here's why.

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 00.37.37.png

Look how much space YouTube takes up on a typical Google search and how far it pushes the first result down the page for EOSHD.

The first result for "Iscorama GH5" is this forum. But it's barely noticeable with all the YouTube videos.

YouTube is a Google service and this is an abuse of a monopoly plain and simple and they should be taken to court.

It is not the result of a monopoly, but simply reflects that people are using video both for presenting stuff and researching material. It is much easier to get an impression of how something is done or what it looks like from video than from text.

It is sort of like the transition from silent movies to talking ones. The old way simply can't compete with the added breadth that video can offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

but YouTube have put FOUR videos above you so they can reap the advertising reward during playback.

Do you blame them? Best thing to do is not use google services. It hurts their bottom line in more than one way.

I’m afraid video is very much part of the future of the Internet even though it is a terribly inefficient way to transmit information.

Google already has a monopoly with video on the internet because:

1) It is extremely capital intensive to store, process, and deliver video to millions sometimes billions of watchers. So newcomers to the video delivery service are chocked out fast.

2) They have smartly integrated google search and YouTube search.

3) They dangled the carrot of monetization to content creators initially and then use any opportunity to optimize their revenue, including just optimizing away your entire channel. You have no control or levers to pull to improve your channel except spending cash for ads. Or resorting to shitty clickbait bullshit soul sucking crap.

4) They negotiated with copyright and license holders to create a de-facto shadow copyright system in an attempt to fix the actually broken copyright system (at least in the US).
 

I think for people that care, it is important if you have a YouTube channel to also take the time and energy to turn your videos into blog posts with links to resources and to your videos on YouTube. This has many benefits such as improved content quality over time and extended SEO to and from your video a and website.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

I think for people that care, it is important if you have a YouTube channel to also take the time and energy to turn your videos into blog posts with links to resources and to your videos on YouTube. This has many benefits such as improved content quality over time and extended SEO to and from your video a and website.

I agree. If you are doing this for a living or for earning a substantial portion of your income you need to be taking a holistic approach to reach your audience. Some media are better suited for some types of messaging, while something different may work for others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Video is the trend, my friend write review for the gear he used (he is full time photog), he was recently told he need to do video if he want to be in the program for a lens company.

Trying to guess who this is, Gordon Laing perhaps? He is doing far more YouTube videos than he was say three years ago. Not sure what other photographers in NZ are major players doing written reviews of camera gear, plus videos too. 

  

5 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Do you blame them? Best thing to do is not use google services. It hurts their bottom line in more than one way.

https://duckduckgo.com/
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2020 at 10:50 PM, heart0less said:

And here I am, in my early twenties - so I'm technically a millennial / Generation Y - with my my strong preference towards written word.

I deeply hate the fact that people nowadays tend to turn their blogs into vlogs, etc.
For me, having to go to YouTube for a piece of information that could be put clearly in two or three sentences is one of the plagues of 21st century.

Totally agree. Not to mention most the videos now are just over animated, click-bait jackasses making videos in the hope that they will go "viral"... real info is so hard to find. It's much worse than trying to find it in text because there's no search that checks the contents of videos for you, just the title (which means almost nothing).

On top of this I feel social media and more so Youtube video is the main reason for people having stupid views and opinions on stuff now days. They don't read, so they don't look at any reputable source of information and instead listen to what some completely unqualified person has to say in a video. Sorry, but the world is broken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...