Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Sony A7S III wish list and the not-NAB 2020 no-show today

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, wolf33d said:


lol you are as much of a Canon fanboy than the Sony fanboy you mention. 
Even when Canon ridiculously failed deeply with the EOS R your were saying here on EOSHD how great it was. What a joke. 

Personally I don’t understand at all fanboyism for a camera brand. Who cares if it’s Sony Canon or Nikon, I couldn’t care less about the name. I am bashing what’s wrong, and praising good stuff.

When the 5D2 was out I was applauding. That’s why I bought it. When the EOS R was out I was laughing hard. Sony did an excellent job with the A7III when it was out. That’s why I bought it. 
The R5 looks absolutely fantastic and will most likely get it to replace my A7III. 

How did the EOS R fail?  If you think it is a failure then that means you bought into the You Tube fanboy influenced category.

I say this because unless you've used the EOS R yourself with your own hands and eyes and brain, then you don't have a clue.  I just got the EOS-R and 1 DX 3 for review and the EOS R is not a failure. 

What failed is Canon and Nikon marketing department that did not see Sony influencer's as a problem with negative and false reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, wolf33d said:


lol you are as much of a Canon fanboy than the Sony fanboy you mention. 
Even when Canon ridiculously failed deeply with the EOS R your were saying here on EOSHD how great it was. What a joke. 

Personally I don’t understand at all fanboyism for a camera brand. Who cares if it’s Sony Canon or Nikon, I couldn’t care less about the name. I am bashing what’s wrong, and praising good stuff.

When the 5D2 was out I was applauding. That’s why I bought it. When the EOS R was out I was laughing hard. Sony did an excellent job with the A7III when it was out. That’s why I bought it. 
The R5 looks absolutely fantastic and will most likely get it to replace my A7III. 

What a bunch of nonsense. You think you know me but you don't know shit. I'm probably one of the most brand agnostic persons around here.

While I have my preferences when it comes to camera companies for various subjective reasons, I started photography on Nikon equipment and still shoot film with them. Did a lot of work on the D750. I was one of the first here to go all-in the Fuji hybrid revolution with XT2. My favorite camera is my Leica M9P. I've owned the A7S2 and I also currently own a Sony FS7, my professional workhorse. Finally I won't hesitate to rent a RED/ARRI or whatever if budget/crew allows it. Oh and I won't even go into lens manufacturers.

So you see trying to pigeonhole me as a Canon fanboy is pretty ridiculous. Its not cuz I enjoy a particular camera, that I hate others.

I stand by my word about EOS R. As flawed as it may seem, for my personal usage its a great hybrid. 

Laugh all you want.. IDGAF. I work within camera systems. The body is only one element..

That said, I never stated EOS R was perfect or better than any other camera. I only defended it against attacks of those that thought it was a useless POS. Most of whom never even picked one up.

And that's one thing I don't understand in these forums is people talking shit about gear they have never touched or have any intention of using. That to me is true fanboyism. 

Cuz see you're attacking me for a camera I appreciate. It's so stupid man. 

Doesn't make me a Fanboy. It does however make you look like a Hater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The FX9 should be doing internal RAW. Makes no sense that it can't in that huge ass body. Incredibly stupid imho

That might be blocked due to RED? That might be the real reason the FS7 / FX9 had the XDCA extension back? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No it isn't blocked by RED.

Blackmagic have internal "RAW" with BRAW.

Sony can do something like that but can't / won't / haven't got the imagination,

Actually my guess is they have stopped trying judging by the NAB announcement Powerpoint today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether the R5 meets expectations or falls short, it's going to be an unbearable time as people gloat about how right they were. 

Same thing will happen with Sony 

Battle lines are already drawn for a camera that hasn't been released and a camera that is in development. Seriously people, get a grip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wolf33d said:


Personally I don’t understand at all fanboyism for a camera brand. Who cares if it’s Sony Canon or Nikon, I couldn’t care less about the name. I am bashing what’s wrong, and praising good stuff.

 

34 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Whether the R5 meets expectations or falls short, it's going to be an unbearable time as people gloat about how right they were.  Battle lines are already drawn for a camera that hasn't been released and a camera that is in development. Seriously people, get a grip. 

Yeah, I couldn't care less about brands. So far the R5 looks promising but knowing Canon and how they consistently fucked up over the past 12 years I'll wait until the final release to have a final opinion. So far, this is just warm wind. If Canon delivers, I'll be the first one to buy one (below $4K). Otherwise, I'll just grab my other cam and keep shooting. Too much pixel pipping and specs non sense lately. Endless fight on forum over specs while the portfolio section remains desperately empty...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I think all they need to sell is an A73 with 10 bit 4k 24p and 8 bit 4k 60p. 

If the a7s3 or whatever they call it is priced around $2500 and the R6 is around $4-5000 it will sell well due to the price alone. People will also buy it over the S1/S1H simply for the Auto focus. 

Now what I'd really like to see from Sony is something with the low light performance of the original A7S, combined with 10 bit and 4k 60p and internal NDs. 
 

That's a $3200 camera, Sony isn't cutting the price on any mythical a7s3, not going to happen. Ever. That's the territory of the a73 and its eventual replacement.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

That's a $3200 camera, Sony isn't cutting the price on any mythical a7s3, not going to happen. Ever. That's the territory of the a73 and its eventual replacement.

Chris

They may not even do an A7s3 could just be an A74 considering they already have an A7r4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Django said:

In Japan 8K isn’t that far fetched, some channels are already broadcasting it.

I saw a NHK 8k demo in Tokyo back in April of 2017 as they were starting the hype for the Olympics. On a giant screen its pretty amazing.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

No it isn't blocked by RED.

Blackmagic have internal "RAW" with BRAW.

Those air quotes around the "RAW" you said is what allowed Blackmagic to offer BRAW without offending RED's army of patent lawyers. 

As it technically isn't what we usually think of as raw, as Blackmagic is doing a partial demosaicing process first before compressing, rather than going straight to compressing the original raw footage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Django said:

What a bunch of nonsense. You think you know me but you don't know shit. I'm probably one of the most brand agnostic persons around here.

While I have my preferences when it comes to camera companies for various subjective reasons, I started photography on Nikon equipment and still shoot film with them. Did a lot of work on the D750. I was one of the first here to go all-in the Fuji hybrid revolution with XT2. My favorite camera is my Leica M9P. I've owned the A7S2 and I also currently own a Sony FS7, my professional workhorse. Finally I won't hesitate to rent a RED/ARRI or whatever if budget/crew allows it. Oh and I won't even go into lens manufacturers.

So you see trying to pigeonhole me as a Canon fanboy is pretty ridiculous. Its not cuz I enjoy a particular camera, that I hate others.

I stand by my word about EOS R. As flawed as it may seem, for my personal usage its a great hybrid. 

Laugh all you want.. IDGAF. I work within camera systems. The body is only one element..

That said, I never stated EOS R was perfect or better than any other camera. I only defended it against attacks of those that thought it was a useless POS. Most of whom never even picked one up.

And that's one thing I don't understand in these forums is people talking shit about gear they have never touched or have any intention of using. That to me is true fanboyism. 

Cuz see you're attacking me for a camera I appreciate. It's so stupid man. 

Doesn't make me a Fanboy. It does however make you look like a Hater.


See, you say I look like a hater, you came on this page to say “Its funny listening to the R5 bashers, most of them shook fanboys.” and if I try to call you a fanboy you go crazy. Pathetic. Relax man, there is much more hate in your message than mine. 

I have used the EOS R btw. Garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:


See, you say I look like a hater, you came on this page to say “Its funny listening to the R5 bashers, most of them shook fanboys.” and if I try to call you a fanboy you go crazy. Pathetic. Relax man, there is much more hate in your message than mine. 

I have used the EOS R btw. Garbage.

Please explain why the EOS R is garbage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Sony can do something like that but can't / won't / haven't got the imagination,

Actually my guess is they have stopped trying judging by the NAB announcement Powerpoint today.

My opinium is that Sony likes the sensor business more then the camera business.
Almost everyone except Canon and samsung uses their sensors. Why invest in a niche market like the camera business?
We will see an 8k panasonic, bmpcc, etc before a sony one.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wolf33d said:


See, you say I look like a hater, you came on this page to say “Its funny listening to the R5 bashers, most of them shook fanboys.” and if I try to call you a fanboy you go crazy. Pathetic. Relax man, there is much more hate in your message than mine. 

I have used the EOS R btw. Garbage.

Whatever. At least I gave you an expressive response. All you got is hot air. Clearly sour Sony didn't deliver and now looking to jump ship to the company you been bashing for years. Hate? I find that hilarious actually.

As for EOS R. One mans trash.. well you know the saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EOS R was great except for the rolling shutter. So not good for moving handheld shots, e.g., run and gun. Even gimbal movements had to be very slow and controlled.

Didn't love the external requirement for 10-bit 422 recording, but the Ninja V did add much more functional (monitoring) and recording (cheap SSD caddy) options. It was also good for gimbals because it was so lightweight and compact. The R with the Weebill-S was a very compact package. Once you figured out how to best mount the Ninja of course.

What made it especially tantalizing was the metabones RF to EF speedbooster adapter. Gave me an extra stop and near full frame on all my canon lenses. Hot damn what a cheat code. 

With the DPAF, the EOS R was close to checking all the boxes. 

So was the Sony A7III. If Sony adds internal 4K 422 and incrementally improves the other features that made it such a successful camera when it was released, I'd at least take a look. The people who care too much about brands are those uninterested in making life easier for themselves. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Django said:

Whatever. At least I gave you an expressive response. All you got is hot air. Clearly sour Sony didn't deliver and now looking to jump ship to the company you been bashing for years. Hate? I find that hilarious actually.

As for EOS R. One mans trash.. well you know the saying.

What are you actually talking about? You are absolutely ridiculous. I started photography with a 450D, used the 5D2 for years, the 5D3 for years. I have got the A7R II, the GH5, the GX85, Nikon D5500 and D5600, the A7III and multiple others.
I am bashing shitty products from any company, and praising good products from good companies. You are again into this brand loyalty thing. It’s not about jumping ship, there is no ship. Only products. 
Yeah, it’s seems everything you see is hilarious, just as your first comment about the hilarious people bashing the R5 in the first place. You on the other end aren’t hilarious, you are sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The a7S series are supposed to be video centric specialist cameras for low light shooting, so don't expect the high resolution necessary for 8K.

What the camera will most likely have is at best 4K60p (or higher frame rates) with a higher bit depth and either 422 or RAW recording. Along with updated software features such as improved focusing, tracking and the like.

It will NOT be competing with the R5. The R5 may impact on what a future a7RV would look like, but that is not in the immediate future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...