Sony PMW-F3 with 2500 hours on it. Should I buy it?

basil_555

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you're on a budget, definitely consider getting a smaller camera for glidecam/gimbal shots. I use an A7III for that on smaller jobs, and it cuts pretty well after a quick tweak in Resolve. The Pocket 4K is a better match for dynamic range and grade-ability, but tougher to match in skin tones and much clumsier as a camera body. The 6K is a GREAT match, but at that point you're spending twice as much as you did on the F3 and may as well make the 6K your A-cam.

Haven't used all the newer DSLR/mirrorless bodies to know how well they'd line up, but all of them will take some secondary work to cut in a 2-camera setup. 

10 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

A Fuji XT30 or XT3 would be a good option, quite a bit cheaper than the A73. An A6300 might be a better match color wise though. 

A6300 battery life would necessitate re-balancing the gimbal every half hour to 45 minutes, which makes it suboptimal as a dedicated gimbal cam imo. Are the Fujis neutral enough to match the F3, or would you have to grade down the F3 to match?

Yes, i've used the A6300 on some projects battery is not that great and the rolling shutter is kind of a issue sometimes but otherwise it pretty good in 4K. Bmpcc4K would be great but kind of expensive considering the price of the F3.

I was wondering about the A7S to match with the F3 as i'd like to spend less than 700€ on a second camera, with s log2 this would be similar to A6300 i guess ? No 4K but maybe with the VA 1080p in prores is good enough ?

5 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

A6300 battery life would necessitate re-balancing the gimbal every half hour to 45 minutes, which makes it suboptimal as a dedicated gimbal cam imo. Are the Fujis neutral enough to match the F3, or would you have to grade down the F3 to match?

A battery change shouldn't necessarily requiring re-balancing it every time. 
Plus they (the Sony and the Fuji) can be USB powered. 

1 hour ago, Antoin e said:

Bmpcc4K would be great but kind of expensive considering the price of the F3.

You could buy the original Pocket for cheap on eBay

On 6/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, Antoin e said:

Maybe it is better to get a cheap small camera to go with to use for these type of shots .Thinking about the original A7s wich is selling at around 500€ used in my area or maybe a

Wanted to say that I have used the original A7s alongside the F3 and it actually worked pretty well. Color was not far off and you could easily cut them together if your not pushing the A7s to far.

15 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Is it available anywhere online for a screening, in motion? Movie trailer?

Unfortunately, those stills are from a project I no longer have access to--just the raw clips I'm grading for my reel. 

If anyone wants some ungraded stills/clips, I can post a few for y'all to play with.

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

If you don't want that prick talking about it and the price going up why have you plastered the video all over this forum?

I might be kinda half joking :-P 

And perhaps it is a GOOD THING if the prices of the old Sony PMW-F3 bodies rise up by a couple of hundred bucks due to increased demand, as it will then make it easier for me to resist the temptation of buying another one myself. (which I really don't need! After all I can borrow the local Panavision F3 whenever for next to nothing when I need a second body for multi cam shoots, as I've done before in the past)

10 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I think he's being a bit tongue and cheek! 

Bingo. You've figured me out. 

11 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I like Caleb. I wish he didn't do the click bait titles, but he pretty much exclusively reviews cameras that he has bought.

Indeed, I think he's one of the "good guys" on YT.

• Administrators

I think you're a consumerist idiot.

Genuinely - if you don't want hyped prices... why cut and paste a YouTube hype piece about it all over Internet forums.

And then say "NOOOOOOOO"

What are you? a 12 years old?

This shill likely trawls this forum for content ideas - This thread being one. Which is why you see his F3 hype piece and smirky expression.

Where do you think he genuinely got the idea for buying an F3 from?

Do you really think he has a single original idea of his own?

Youtube - the gold standard for scientific research 😂

And his stuff is that boring too, I can't get past the first 15 seconds

23 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Unfortunately, those stills are from a project I no longer have access to--just the raw clips I'm grading for my reel. 

If anyone wants some ungraded stills/clips, I can post a few for y'all to play with.

That would be awesome. Loved Geoffs beautiful colours in his shots. It is a bulky beast. If people buy them they must be very serious shooters. Would be fun to see an armada of them filming the heck out of them.

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Where do you think he genuinely got the idea for buying an F3 from?

That was my first thought too.:) Ironfilm you are a cool cat with a F3. Now, get a second one!:) Video is kinda starting off in a boring manner. Just finished zapping through it. Not interesting. Good thing I only zapped through this. Not many people will buy a F3 after watching this video. Would love them to buy them though and do charming short films with them.

Someone already had the 3alty technica body armour ? Definitely looks cool and makes it more flexible i guess but i can't seem to find one.

I already have a top plate on mine so i don't know if its worth it but would depend on the price.

Also, dummy question : How do you transport these type of cameras for a shoot ? I can put in my pelican 1510 when everything is detached but it does take some time to put it together so i guess maybe just put the F3 already build up in the car with a seatbelt and put the lenses/accessories in the case.