Sony PMW-F3 with 2500 hours on it. Should I buy it?

basil_555

10 hours ago, tupp said:

Very sorry to hear about that.  Did it fall off of a car mount? 😉

No you would be too happy if it was the case right ahah.  Little brother let it fell off...

10 hours ago, andrgl said:

@Antoin e Look for someone who advertises modchip installations for consoles or look for a "hackerspace"; anyone with intermediate soldering skills and the ability to order a BNC connector from mouser can repair it for you, quick and cheap, assuming you didn't crack the PCB or dislodge some SMDs.

Thank you, im going to check this but i really don't know if there is such a thing where i live, i already did some soldering myself on small parts like this but this seem very tricky this time, might have to buy an other one but that's ok, i reaally want to use the f3 at its best again.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sizewise I think Ben Ericsons setup with the 5inch  BM video assist had the perfect size. He powered it through a SWIFT battery via DTap from the F3. Your recorder provides beautiful 444 but looks to be a bit on the bulky side.:) Is it your recommended PiX E5? @Geoff CB Anyway, we need to see some footage from you and your thoughts on F3 vs S1! Your beautiful screenshots are too beautiful to not to want some moving images!

On 9/10/2020 at 4:51 PM, Geoff CB said:

So if you are trying to get 60p out of this camera make sure you have a 6G SDI cable! I thought an older SDI would work and was constantly having issues getting 60 FPS, switches to a 12g cable and much much better! 

IMG_20200909_140500.jpg

You’re using the 24-70 lens, which is rather heavy, without any additional support. Doesn’t it put too much stress on the camera?

35 minutes ago, basil_555 said:

You’re using the 24-70 lens, which is rather heavy, without any additional support. Doesn’t it put too much stress on the camera?

Not at all, the mount on the camera is very strong. Metal mount + steel Nikon G adapter from Optitek. If I was mounting a cinema lens on it yes I'd use a rail support, but photography lenses are relatively light in the grand scheme, if cheap DSLR can handle it this mount certainly can.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, PannySVHS said:

Sizewise I think Ben Ericsons setup with the 5inch  BM video assist had the perfect size. He powered it through a SWIFT battery via DTap from the F3. Your recorder provides beautiful 444 but looks to be a bit on the bulky side.:) Is it your recommended PiX E5? @Geoff CB Anyway, we need to see some footage from you and your thoughts on F3 vs S1! Your beautiful screenshots are too beautiful to not to want some moving images!

It's a larger PIX-E7 with the XLR adapter attached. Honestly the camera itself is bulky so not going to switch to a smaller recorder to get it a little lighter.

Working on the videos, but have other work I have to get done first. Including shooting a short on the F3 alongside the S1 on Saturday. So we'll see how they do! 

On 9/10/2020 at 7:47 AM, PannySVHS said:

Just to be clear, the Video Assist only does ProRes HQ 422. The benefit of the 444 model when using the video assist is to get 60p through one single SDI cable. 

If I still owned it, I would get one of these low profile mounts to make it even cleaner. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1570342-REG/smallrig_bse2346b_swivel_and_tilt_monitor.html

14 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Just to be clear, the Video Assist only does ProRes HQ 422. The benefit of the 444 model when using the video assist is to get 60p through one single SDI cable. 

If I still owned it, I would get one of these low profile mounts to make it even cleaner. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1570342-REG/smallrig_bse2346b_swivel_and_tilt_monitor.html

That´s exactely what I figured. Small recorder rigged beautifully the Ben Ericson way, giving hasslefree perfect 10bit HD up to 60p. 422 is still pretty great, even if YUV only.

These smallrig parts have been getting pretty pricy. That swivel and tilt holder is a beauty though.

7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Now you tell me this is filmed in 422 and I can buy a cheapo BMVA rather than a bulky Pix or Gemini.:) Beautiful tones and shot! Which one of the SLOG uses did you apply, the one which Ben (Ericson) described in this thread or the one from Renaissance Man? Did you lit with Tungsten?

Prores 444 Slog out of SDI A port at 3200 iso with a PIX-E7. Nikon 24-70 at 70mm with a Tiffen Supermist Black 1/8 filter. 

Lights in background heart were tungsten. But fill and spotlight on stage was gelled LED. 

So i've been trying to shoot anamorphic with the F3 using a kowa 16H projector lens.

Here is a quick test :

Any of you know how to desqueeze the image in camera ? (Not possible with the BMVA)

Also, the big thing would be to shoot in 4:3 with the F3 to get a good aspect ratio in the end, is it possible to change this in the settings ?

On 9/21/2020 at 2:29 AM, IronFilm said:

Compared to where they were trending to, they've basically nearly tripled vs what they would've been. 

Its crazy how much power these youtubers have over the prices of older camera equipment... If they are famous and they recommend something the prices always end up going through the roof. I got my F3 for 450$ with a bunch of accessories 2 years ago. I was planning on upgrading to the F3 with the 444 upgrade this year but damn I waited too long and after I sold mine, every other F3 that was worth the price dissapeared   . I decided to hold onto my Pix e5 recorder with the hopes of getting another F3 and just wait but ended up selling it (Not a wise decision) since I got a pocket 4k. I want to go back to a proper cinema camera at some point but I don't see the F3 as a viable option anymore because of the price. 

Do you think an Ursa Mini 4.6k is a good alternative now. I've seen prices go as low as 2K in my area (New York). 

20 hours ago, Josue Nunez said:

Its crazy how much power these youtubers have over the prices of older camera equipment... If they are famous and they recommend something the prices always end up going through the roof.

You must be new here, ever heard of @Mattias Burling?

https://www.youtube.com/user/mattiasburling

20 hours ago, Josue Nunez said:

I got my F3 for 450$ with a bunch of accessories 2 years ago.

Yeah I remember that time period too. 
Was very seriously considering a 2nd Sony F3 myself. 
But was always just a little too slow on pouncing on the $450 deals, thus was just waiting for one to happen for me. (rather than "overspending" and getting one for say $600) Plus I was on the fence if perhaps it was better to spend a little more for a FS700, as the FS700 was headed down to under $1K itself. 

Now? It's going to be a long time until we'll see an F3 for $450 again. At least it makes the decision easier vs a FS700! (of course now the FS5 is soon going to become as cheap as a FS700 was a couple of years ago....)