Sony PMW-F3 with 2500 hours on it. Should I buy it?

basil_555

9 hours ago, kye said:

Also, F3 got a mention in one of the 2020 Best Tech videos...

Fun stuff!

This is what struck my attention.
I've always liked the F35/F65 organic look but was unaware that the F3 shared so many similarities with these cameras.

The camcorder feel of it is both a bit awckward (it reminds me of my first Video8 cameras) and fun.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looking great! @Pascal Deshayes Is it the internal codec? From a test I must say its internal codec gives a C300MKI a good run for its money with better dynamic range and latitude in SLOG. Second shot from top is pure cinema! Show us some magic in motion, please! What lenses did you use? Need to get a FZ to FD adapter! This week my Blackmagic Video assist arrives from the bay, 5inch powerhouse giving me 10bit 422 60p with my F3! It even comes with smallrig cage and mini sdi to sdi cables. Cannot wait to test all the F3 awesomeness! This is by far my favorite thread at the moment. Whenever someones is posting here my heart beats from exitement.:) cheers

Thanks mate!

Congrats on your Video Assist, I'm looking forward to see images 🙂

I don't have that much to show as these were my very first tests and I basically toyed around with focus and stuff but I managed to salvage a few stills that show the texture of the combo.

Canon FDs S(S)C 135 and 28mm. Slog internal codec. About 6 sec. per shot in Resolve. Really, this footage grades so easily it's cheating!

I like that smooth and dry feel.

Untitled_1.7.1.thumb.png.d436939653e7b59508e03f99797f229d.png

Untitled_1.1.1.thumb.png.5173208afdd6bfd6fc1dc5aa61b55548.png

Untitled_1.9.1.thumb.png.9f63ebc20537f21c411600ba08ce61b8.png

Untitled_1_32.1.thumb.png.b5be3ee9fc999ca1867c422510849268.png

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, are any of you interested in buying a Pix e5 recorder? It comes with the box and all the accessories including the sun hood and the D-tap cable. Also, It comes with a 960gb Drive and like 4 old NPF batteries. 800$ 

I still plan to keep my Sony F3. But I have some unexpected expenses. 

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I’ve been thinking about buying a F3 for maybe a month now seriously. This thread has been very informative and is pushing me towards the F3 (more than my wallet would like). A couple of questions popped to my mind:

- Does anyone have experience combining the F3 with a Canon 5d3? Is there any consumer/something camera that is a ”perfect fit” with the F3?

- Do you have the Cinealta lens set (35,50,85 T2) that came with the F3K. Any thoughts on these lenses? Is there any other lenses (cine or other) that gives same type of image? I’d maybe want something for the wide end (zeiss cp.2 18mm might be an option) or a zoom all-around, but if they give a totally different type of image...

- The valuation of a mint F3K set? The set I have my eyes on is new(!) unused. The camera being new, combining to this question: I can download the upgrade online to get the S-log? And with external recorder 4.2.2 10bit?

I’m sorry if these are stupid questions, but I’ve been trying to find all the information on the F3 for weeks now. There if very little on the subject on the internet. I truly hope someone has some answers for my questions or I’ll have to pass on the F3 deal :(

Thank u for the replies!

@OttoV Awesome, another F3 owner. You can match the F3 to the 5D. The ooc colour palette via Slog to rec709 and of the other profiles is different. But with Hue vs hue anything hue vs sat in Davinci Resolve  anything is possible. I think a Sony A6000 would be much cheaper but then 5D3 is a great cam itself.

You have to pay for the update. Mine had it already installed and the RGB 444. The latter one making it possible to record 50p 10bit 422 via one single sdi cable to a cheapo Black Magic Videoassist. The image from this camera is "true cinema". For me it is like a BMCC from blackmagic but with 10bit 50p, beautiful lowlight, internal NDs, great battery life. I recommend it though I have not used mine yet. But I am hyper exited to put it through its paces once my other weird shortfilms are done with editing. 🙂 I have a FS700 too, but it is the F3 which really exites me.

I think there is a pleasing amount of info on the net about this camera. Check out the dvxuser threads, which have been mentioned in this thread before.

The Cinealta lenses come in two flavours, the first one is plastic fantastic, the follow up lenses are sturdier. The are some nice reads on these lenses in the web.As for 18mm Zeiss, I think a Zeiss ZE or ZF could be another and cheaper option. Keep us posted. We need to make this the most exiting thread on this forum!:) cheers

The image quality is really something. Check this one out. Even in 720p stream it looks awesome, motion colours, textures, "weight to the image", beautiful. This camera is rising in prices now, so better get yours with the 444 update for 24 to 50p 10bit glory to an external recorder or even 444 24p to an Odyssey or Videopix. Also adapter to NIkon or EF would be nice. Mine came with PL and Nikon adapter. The here is the video, I just mentioned. cheers

On 5/3/2021 at 6:36 PM, OttoV said:

- Does anyone have experience combining the F3 with a Canon 5d3? Is there any consumer/something camera that is a ”perfect fit” with the F3?

Yes, a 2nd F3! 😉

If you need a gimbal camera / easy car rig cam / whatever / etc, then I've reached for my BMPCC as a camera also with a pretty picture but waaaaay more compact. 

And with external recorder 4.2.2 10bit?

Yes, but only over SDI (not HDMI). 

- The valuation of a mint F3K set? The set I have my eyes on is new(!) unused. The camera being new, combining to this question: I can download the upgrade online to get the S-log?

The free version, not the paid RGB Firmware version.

- Do you have the Cinealta lens set (35,50,85 T2) that came with the F3K. Any thoughts on these lenses? Is there any other lenses (cine or other) that gives same type of image? I’d maybe want something for the wide end (zeiss cp.2 18mm might be an option) or a zoom all-around, but if they give a totally different type of image...

Yeah, 35mm on S35 isn't wide at all. (in fact it is the normal FoV lens)

The Sony PL Gen 1 are not as well built as the Gen 2.
They were great for their time, in terms of being one of the very very few "affordable" options for PL Lenses. (a good match for what was the first ever "affordable" S35 cinema camera)

But now in 2021 we're being flooded with upcoming "affordable" PL lenses to consider. 

Also you don't have to use PL Lenses with the F3, because it has a base FZ Mount underneath. 

Thank you guys for your replies!

I’m still a bit confused about the firmware update. About where, how and what it includes. Can u still buy the better upgrade (sxs card?) somewhere?

I have a canon 5d3 so that is why I’m asking about the compability with the F3

you didnt reply to the approx estimation (how much) would be a good price for the new F3K set?

it comes with the PL mount adapter, so why not invest in decent PL glass. I am balls deep in Canon FD and semi deep in EF, so those adapters are also on the list of things to get. Do the sony pl gen 1 lenses have campatibility problems with other pl mountes cameras? It was in some video someone said something like that? The contact points are in ”unique” positions? Though manual lenses so I dont know why this would be a major problem?

I was looking at the atomos shogun, but maybe just start playing around with the sxs cards before investing in the external recorder?

Does anyone have experience of the zeiss cp.2 series?

On 5/7/2021 at 4:49 PM, PannySVHS said:

The image quality is really something. Check this one out. Even in 720p stream it looks awesome, motion colours, textures, "weight to the image", beautiful. This camera is rising in prices now, so better get yours with the 444 update for 24 to 50p 10bit glory to an external recorder or even 444 24p to an Odyssey or Videopix. Also adapter to NIkon or EF would be nice. Mine came with PL and Nikon adapter. The here is the video, I just mentioned. cheers

What a great video!  Cool song and nice skating, it's like a California groove video but in a slightly different direction.

The image is really nice too.  I don't look at it and think it's lacking, which seems to happen with less and less cameras as time goes on 🙂 

On 5/8/2021 at 4:36 AM, OttoV said:

Can u still buy the better upgrade (sxs card?) somewhere?

*IF* you could still buy it, I'd imagine Sony still charges full price. 

That would make NO SENSE at all to buy in 2021. 

You could almost buy a secondhand Sony PMW-F5 for the price of that firmware for the F3. 

it comes with the PL mount adapter, so why not invest in decent PL glass. I am balls deep in Canon FD and semi deep in EF, so those adapters are also on the list of things to get. Do the sony pl gen 1 lenses have campatibility problems with other pl mountes cameras? It was in some video someone said something like that? The contact points are in ”unique” positions? Though manual lenses so I dont know why this would be a major problem?

Only a hundred bucks for a Canon FD adapter to FZ from China. Get that!
(don't bother getting a pricey electronic EF-FZ adapter)

I was looking at the atomos shogun, but maybe just start playing around with the sxs cards before investing in the external recorder?

Shogun is overkill, you don't need a 4K recorder. 

SxS cards are overpriced, use an SD adapter, although the internal codec is a fairly low bit rate.