Sony PMW-F3 with 2500 hours on it. Should I buy it?

basil_555

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, uprezing, could need that.:) @mercer I got kinda lucky with a real 16mm cinema! zoom, not S16 unfortunately, so maybe not sooo lucky. It´s a 10-100 Zeiss F1.8 and it´s beautiful. Price was 450USD. I was exited when I connected the PL- mount. What an event, that satisfying fit of an old classic cinema zoom lens to that rock solid PL-mount of my F3. Now I got another reason to gives this beauty a try with that Zeiss beauty on it. Funky previewing though through the monitor with the much smaller image circle. 🙂

• 1 month later...

https://vimeo.com/476151248 This is a small video I recorded at home about a year ago. I used a crappy vivitar 28mm F2.5 with the F3. I still have some videos that I need to upload from the time I owned the F3. Hopefully can come across another one at a descent price at some point.  Still a beast of a camera. 

oh the password for the video is 1234

Yeah, they are a great camera, and a good one to learn on, but in this day and age not too sure about stuff like that anymore. Shooting on a tripod is pretty damn limiting.

We have come an amazing way in the last few years. I would have never dreamed of what we can buy for less than 5000 dollars these days.

22 hours ago, Josue Nunez said:

https://vimeo.com/476151248 This is a small video I recorded at home about a year ago. I used a crappy vivitar 28mm F2.5 with the F3. I still have some videos that I need to upload from the time I owned the F3. Hopefully can come across another one at a descent price at some point.  Still a beast of a camera. 

You need to keep that "crappy Vivitar 28mm F2.5" and put it in a vault. That really helped the look you got.  A great look, well done.

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Still very common, and still good movies get made that way. 

I worked on a short film this week, 100% filmed with a RED Gemini on a tripod

True but it probably looks like a typical movie with 500 cuts. Not saying that is a bad thing, well a great thing if you have 20 people on set, but not what the average person is doing these days. 

A few years ago I would kill for something like it. Today it would kill me lugging the damn thing around lol.

https://vmi.tv/equipment/red-dsmc2-gemini-hire-london-5k-camera-package/

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

True but it probably looks like a typical movie with 500 cuts. Not saying that is a bad thing, well a great thing if you have 20 people on set, but not what the average person is doing these days. 

A few years ago I would kill for something like it. Today it would kill me lugging the damn thing around lol.

https://vmi.tv/equipment/red-dsmc2-gemini-hire-london-5k-camera-package/

I don't know man, tripod is honestly the way to go for most things. Most people don't have the budget to do good moving shots outside of really basic stuff. Everyone wants to be Euphoria without having any of the resources to pull it off.

I think other than interviews and big time movies tripods are a thing of the past. And this is coming from a hard core tripod guy! I follow 10 to 12 people on YouTube, and help pay their way with Patreon. And I don't think any of the use a tripod very often. Heck one of the people I follow, Goonzquad shoots the whole thing on a iPhone 13 Pro. They do use a tripod at times, but not often.

Sure we need to have a tripod but it does limit the hell out of what you can do and see. It looks too damn static in this day and age. We have reached the age we can have lots of movement, a natural thing humans do, it is in our blood to move. It looks natural, our eyes see things in a continuous movement not a bunch of clips put together. This is 2022 not 1982.

I have not got it yet, will in a few days, a Sony Xperia Pro-I. Dumping my iPhone, heck maybe even a real camera or two. It can do nearly all I need to do and want and it is right in my pocket all the time. Sure I will use a tripod with it at times, but on average it will be fluid in my hands capturing, mirroring what my eyes see. I will be in the year of 2022, not the past.

4 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

I don't know man, tripod is honestly the way to go for most things. Most people don't have the budget to do good moving shots outside of really basic stuff. Everyone wants to be Euphoria without having any of the resources to pull it off.

As of today there are 32,113 members on this site. Probably not really many that come here on a daily, weekly basis but how many of them are hard core I am making a movie tomorrow or even work at a movie enterprise? Very few I would bet. And these newer smartphones, newer mirrorless cameras are their weapon of choice. And on average they don't at times need or want a tripod at all and they are lone wolf shooters. It is again 2022 and things have changed, and changed for the good for the vast amount of people that belong to this enterprise of EOSHD. 

What you do and I applaud you, need a tripod, and are surrounded maybe with lots of talented people. Most on here aren't doing that. I am a tired old man that dreads the thought of dragging a tripod and fluid head around to get what little I do get. Not much imagination flowing though my brain as of late lol. It's done gone some place far away, and my legs are too far gone to get to that spot. Horses for Courses as they say, and my horse is on it's last legs also, so no tripod this week, maybe next week if there is one. So happily looking forward to my new phone, my back will be happier also.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

As of today there are 32,113 members on this site. Probably not really many that come here on a daily, weekly basis but how many of them are hard core I am making a movie tomorrow or even work at a movie enterprise? Very few I would bet. And these newer smartphones, newer mirrorless cameras are their weapon of choice. And on average they don't at times need or want a tripod at all and they are lone wolf shooters. It is again 2022 and things have changed, and changed for the good for the vast amount of people that belong to this enterprise of EOSHD. 

What you do and I applaud you, need a tripod, and are surrounded maybe with lots of talented people. Most on here aren't doing that. I am a tired old man that dreads the thought of dragging a tripod and fluid head around to get what little I do get. Not much imagination flowing though my brain as of late lol. It's done gone some place far away, and my legs are too far gone to get to that spot. Horses for Courses as they say, and my horse is on it's last legs also, so no tripod this week, maybe next week if there is one. So happily looking forward to my new phone, my back will be happier also.

Yeah I guess I am speaking to long form filmmaking specifically. It's one thing to do a bunch of cool shots in a 5 minute youtube video but to carry that same energy in a 2 hour film is expensive and complicated. Even if you are shooting on maybe an ideal run and gun setup a Sony A7S3 on a nice gimbal you still run into the issue of more complicated blocking, auto focus not behaving and doing what you want when you have more than 1 subject in the frame, lighting difficulties etc..

Here in Detroit there is an odd independent feature film market that is making money. Very low budgets and lots of directors/producers who have a "vision" but have no idea the resources or time that vision requires. They basically ask if we can do the Euphoria look but only spend 1/100 of what HBO spent on that show.

You'd be surprised the kind of crap people will watch even when Netflix and HBO quality shows are available.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:52 AM, webrunner5 said:

Nah, wasn't twenty people. It was a microsized (almost)no budget production. 

Had:
Director
DoP
MakeUp/Costume (same person! She handled props & art dept too)
2x PA / LX Assist (one of them had a fair bit of film set experience, but he's primarily focused on acting/directing and isn't professional tech crew person. The other person it was their first time on set! Just a teenage kid, because he was the brother of one of the two actors)
Sound Mixer (me!)

As I said, an extremely small production. The smallest I've been on this year. (or the last couple of years for that matter, when it comes to narrative productions)