Fuji X-T4

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Just so I understand though, the X-T3 currently downsamples in-camera to 4k though (from the 5.26K 60p), right???

Will the X-T4 still downsample in camera to 4K from 5.26K? Or will it actually have a 5.26K file?

4K supersampled from 6K/5K and 6K encoded as 6144x4096, 6144x3240, 6144x2592, 5760x3240

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

androidlad I appreciate the technical knowledge you bring to the discussion board.  That said, is there a technical reason the senor likely to be used on the X-T4 (which is the same I believe on the X-T3) cannot deliver us better subject/object tracking in continuous autofocus?  Eye focus is great but somewhat limiting. I have not seen this discussed on this site unless I have missed it.

36 minutes ago, bsalisbury said:

androidlad I appreciate the technical knowledge you bring to the discussion board.  That said, is there a technical reason the senor likely to be used on the X-T4 (which is the same I believe on the X-T3) cannot deliver us better subject/object tracking in continuous autofocus?  Eye focus is great but somewhat limiting. I have not seen this discussed on this site unless I have missed it.

Better in what sense? There's a firmware update for X-T3 coming in literally two days to significantly improve C-AF and face/eye detection.

It's behind Sony's A6600/6400 mainly due to algorithm, it's very little to do with the sensor.

6 hours ago, photographer-at-large said:

what about for anamorphic?

That is what open gate is for. 

4 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Only in the XT-3 / XH1, no?

In the smaller bodies (XT-30 / XT-200) the cap is 10 minutes in 4k in the XT-30 and 15 mins in the XT-200 (just now noticed that the smaller one have 5 mins more!).

Fuji probably would put a cap in a X-E4 too.

Ouch, I knew X-T30 had a lower limit, didn't realize it was as low as only ten minutes!!

Why Fuji why Fuji???  Protecting X-T3 sales. 

4 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Just waiting to Fuji put IBIS in their smaller cameras to switch from m4/3 to Fuji - like a lot my m4/3 gear, but I'm afraid for their future, and probably want to sell it before the price drop when it (maybe) is discontinued. 

Nobody knows the future for sure, why should it is be less risky to be invested into X Mount than MFT?

I'd say MFT is still the safer bet, as X Mount exists at the whim of only one manufacturer. While MFT is supported by a diverse range of many companies. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That is what open gate is for. 

Ouch, I knew X-T30 had a lower limit, didn't realize it was as low as only ten minutes!!

Why Fuji why Fuji???  Protecting X-T3 sales. 

I think its really down to heat managment. Lots of tests out there show that the xt30 for example overheats rather quickly, even when recording externally

6K Open Gate, 6144x4096, 24/25/30p
6K UHD, 5760x3240, 24/25/30/48p
6K DCI, 6144x3240, 24/25/30/48p
6K Wide, 6144x2592, 24/25/30/48/50/60p

4K UHD, 3840x2160, 24/25/30/48p
4K DCI, 4096x2160, 24/25/30/48p
4K UHD (Crop), 3840x2160, 50/60p
4K DCI (Crop), 4096x2160, 50/60p

2K FHD, 1920x1080, 24/25/30/48/50/60p
2K DCI, 2048x1080, 24/25/30/48/50/60p
2K Wide, 2560x1080, 24/25/30/48/50/60/72/96/100/120p
2K FHD (Crop), 1920x1080, 72/96/100/120p

6 hours ago, frontfocus said:

X-Trans needs more CPU power so there is more heat. X-T200 is bayer and thus runs cooler

Maybe. But a GX85 / GX9 have kind of the same size, and runs for 30 mins without problem. Ok, they have less pixels to downsample, but I think that it is still feasible. I think that is market segmentation, really - or worse chipset tech.

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Nobody knows the future for sure, why should it is be less risky to be invested into X Mount than MFT?

I'd say MFT is still the safer bet, as X Mount exists at the whim of only one manufacturer. While MFT is supported by a diverse range of many companies. 

Kind of. The real supporters of the m4/3 format are Panasonic and Olympus - all the others (Blackmagic included) are very niche.

From Panasonic, I clearly see a GH6 on the horizon, but not much more - there are rumors of a GX10, but as a minor update. Olympus just repackaged the E-M1 II in a smaller body to make the E-M5 MK III, and rumors says that the same sensor will be used for the E-M1 MK III.

M4/3 evolution is dependant nowadays on Sony to evolve on sensors. Olympus is struggling financially to evolve their platforms (if the E-M1 MK III still use the same chipset, will be a VERY  bad sign). Panasonic could repurpose the tech developed for the L cameras to m4/3, but don't see much intention to do it - everyone (except Fuji) is pushing full frame, better margins on bodies and (especially) lenses.

As I said, I love my m4/3 gear, it fullfills almost all that I need (except low light - my dream camera is a proper GX body with IBIS and the GH5s internals). And I think that m4/3 will be a viable format for video for a good amount of time - but maybe not for stills, where the sales volumes are. And don't want to end with a bunch of bodies and lenses with very deprecated values in a phase out, like was with 4/3 users.

And Fuji is doing a lot of things right. Have bodies and lenses with the same or a little more size and weight than m4/3 (for people, like me, that likes compact gear). In two generations jumped from some of the worst video tech for some of the best. Is (maybe) the only manufacturer that their bodies frequently surpasses expectations in specifications. Their prices are competitive. IBIS was the last barrier for me (I use a lot of vintage lenses), maybe they will be my future.