Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, deezid said:

But the S1(H) has a serious problem: Blue and yellow color clipping which unlike the red clipping on the P4K cannot be recovered in post because there's no more data left.

Prepare yourself for lots of reshoots. :(

Do these clippings occur with artificial light or also with natural light? Artficial lighting can have any kind of strange light components and can always be turned off. All the blue clipping image samples looks like they involve led lights. Do this clippings occur also with natural situations like a good saturated blue sky, a green grass field, a nice yellow sunset, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1Ale82 said:

Do these clippings occur with artificial light or also with natural light? Artficial lighting can have any kind of strange light components and can always be turned off. All the blue clipping image samples looks like they involve led lights. Do this clippings occur also with natural situations like a good saturated blue sky, a green grass field, a nice yellow sunset, etc?

The yellow clipping can be seen even on yellow blossoms in the sun. 

The blue clipping appeared in one of my clips with a colorful blue shirt in direct sunlight also.

Blue lights and logos in the streets can't be turned off in general. ;) The blue clipping also appears when something blue is shown on TVs, phones etc.

And it happens with proper exposure without any ETTR. It really shouldn't

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deezid said:

The yellow clipping can be seen even on yellow blossoms in the sun. 

The blue clipping appeared in one of my clips with a colorful blue shirt in direct sunlight also.

Blue lights and logos in the streets can't be turned off in general. ;) The blue clipping also appears when something blue is shown on TVs, phones etc.

And it happens with proper exposure without any ETTR. It really shouldn't

 

Hopefully a software issue and not a sensor problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mercer said:

@deezid Can you shoot with a warmer WB to compensate, or even tweak the WB Matrix like you can with Panasonic MFT cameras, then correct in post?

What if I have both yellow and blue in one shot?
Not a solution sadly either - even if it works in some cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, deezid said:

What if I have both yellow and blue in one shot?
Not a solution sadly either - even if it works in some cases.

True... that would require some creative art direction... “In a world where the colors yellow and blue do not exist...” 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

True... that would require some creative art direction... “In a world where the colors yellow and blue do not exist...” 😂 

Sin City...Sin City wedding, Sin City documentary, Sin City corporate video...maybe this is what Panasonic had in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With WB at 5600K and underexpose 2 stops the clipping goes away in HLG.But is not a solution if you have other things then blue leds in Scene ☹️

With the flat profil, the blue channel clips only a little bit and you can lower exposure or correct it in post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also encountered another big issue.
The infamous ghosting issue from the GH5 which was fixed with firmware 2.0 made its comeback.

Really thinking about selling the camera again. All my artificial light shots are basically messed up. :(

Download provided on Vimeo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Amazing that these problems happen in cameras aimed at the pro video market.

Mind you, I never had any of those problems with my GH5. Probably bought it with 2.0 firmware. 

 

Since firmware 2.0 on the GH5 the issues were gone.
Was shooting at ISO5000 even without any issues. Now I can only use up to ISO1600 :(

 

I have another shot at ISO6400 where the out of focus background is looking like it's floating around in slow motion, will upload that sample as well.
All caused by too much temporal noise reduction - it creates artifacts and only works when the image is static.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, deezid said:

Since firmware 2.0 on the GH5 the issues were gone.
Was shooting at ISO5000 even without any issues. Now I can only use up to ISO1600 :(

 

I have another shot at ISO6400 where the out of focus background is looking like it's floating around in slow motion, will upload that sample as well.
All caused by too much temporal noise reduction - it creates artifacts and only works when the image is static.

If I understand you, you are talking about the S1. You can only shoot cleanly up to 1600???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thpriest said:

If I understand you, you are talking about the S1. You can only shoot cleanly up to 1600???

Yes above that temporal filtering kicks in and messes around with the image.
I'd rather have more noise like on the Pocket 4K than a wobbly mess and trailing.

On the GH5 ISO800 was the max. ISO without it in the past. But now you can easily use ISO3200 without any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deezid said:

Yes above that temporal filtering kicks in and messes around with the image.
I'd rather have more noise like on the Pocket 4K than a wobbly mess and trailing.

On the GH5 ISO800 was the max. ISO without it in the past. But now you can easily use ISO3200 without any issues.

Hopefully they'll fix that soon otherwise the camera is a no go. I was considering it as quite a lot of my work involved shooting in available light (1600-6400 iso). What a bummer along with the blue problem, looks like it is no good for event work (concerts, corporate, weddings).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Hopefully they'll fix that soon otherwise the camera is a no go. I was considering it as quite a lot of my work involved shooting in available light (1600-6400 iso). What a bummer along with the blue problem, looks like it is no good for event work (concerts, corporate, weddings).

It's really sad. This camera could've been fantastic.
The S1H seems to do the same processing and therefor has the same issues as the S1.
That means only recording RAW externally may help...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...