Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MrNiceGuy2

Video Editing Software

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you are serious about video you should learn Davinci Resolve. Otherwise free Windows Movie Maker for basic stuff if you want no real learning curve. Used myself PowerDirector in the past (small learning curve), but cannot recommand it now as it is moving towards subscription like Adobe...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MrNiceGuy2 said:

I am going to buy a video editing software, and I am choosing between Openshot and Filmora. Any thoughts or experiences with those two? Pros and cons?

Hmmm.  Openshot is open source, so you don't purchase it.  Don't know anything about Filmora, but it sounds like someone might be attempting to promote it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know people make money with Filmora and a 70/80D.

Usually I support the open source community but I have no experience with any of those. As I said I have seen edited weddings in Filmora, they were very basic with ready made titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

The free version of Resolve.

Free version brings some hardware limitations, better to buy a Blackmagic camera to include it : ) That's why they've addressed those speed restrictions. A pain to admit it, but pure fact. BMD has some ethical flaws to correct. Their business policies won't sanctify them... ; -)

 

Yet, a bargain for what it is. Let's be fair, simply the best editing and grading software available.

This playground was in the $100,000 mark some time ago. I guess three full years of film editing background + some extra year of full training as trainee in such field can tell a bit too : -)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

This playground was in the $100,000 mark some time ago.

Try again...

"In the past DaVinci Resolve systems were pre built and priced from $200,000 for a 1 GPU based system, to over $800,000 for a 16 GPU top of the line system. Even though this was in line with industry standard practice, it meant professional color correction was way too expensive for most people to afford."

Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100413006446/en/Blackmagic-Design-Revolutionizes-Color-Correction!

To the OP, Resolve is the best choice.  

Not only is the free version excellent, but over the last few years Resolve has gone from not even being in the picture to being a serious contender for FCPX and PP, with people starting to switch in real quantities.  If you search google for Resolve you get ads for Adobe PP - this isn't a coincidence!

I use Resolve for my complete end-to-end workflow and it's fully functional, and is the best colour engine you're going to come across (the competitor to Resolve is Baselight, but there's a reason you haven't heard of it...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kye said:

Try again...

"In the past DaVinci Resolve systems were pre built and priced from $200,000 for a 1 GPU based system, to over $800,000 for a 16 GPU top of the line system. Even though this was in line with industry standard practice, it meant professional color correction was way too expensive for most people to afford."
Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100413006446/en/Blackmagic-Design-Revolutionizes-Color-Correction!

MSRP or street price? The currency value in 2019 or twenty years ago? I should have written in some European currency even before the euro starting in 2002.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cifrão

 

It was possible to buy the equivalent to 100,000 then back to early noughties. Usually quoted in pound sterling in that period for the whole of European markets. Pre-brexit *cough cough* times. A F900 Cinealta (before the F900R) costed 103,000, the exact quotation I had to buy my camera unit when I finished my film graduation.

That is, when I was in the film school, either some used system from late 90s (I still remember the release of DaVinci 2K systems in the early of my editing academic days, we editors were used to AVID in that period) or/and addressed to some education/training program promoted by the brand. That's an accurate figure by then.

 

The point of yours is taken : ) but my memory still serves for the subject matter -- trust the leftover of my DNA in common with Jumbo! : D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, MrNiceGuy2 said:

Hi forum friends! I am going to buy a video editing software, and I am choosing between Openshot and Filmora. Any thoughts or experiences with those two? Pros and cons?

Thanks a bunch!


Is this a spam post to give links to Filmora / biztechreviews?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that period above-mentioned before Blackmagic to have purchased the brand and the company, there was no independent software as today, invariably committed with dedicated hardware (even DaVinci was yet known by da Vinci Systems, da Vinci Academy, etc; the actual denomination came later with a communication update but we're basically speaking about the same product for a few hundred bucks nowadays... universal in any high-end but consumer platforms... simply amazing!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but even if you want to watch 4K stuff on YouTube you have to have a Decent GPU. So it is not like it is a waste of time and money. Editing, watching high end video is not for the less fortunate as they say. You want to go you have to pay. And it is only going to get worse going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but even if you want to watch 4K stuff on YouTube you have to have a Decent GPU. So it is not like it is a waste of time and money. Editing, watching high end video is not for the less fortunate as they say. You want to go you have to pay. And it is only going to get worse going forward.

Follow your point, but playback is not so dramatic at all. Here's mine on a Windows tablet and handles perfectly well any 4K outcome, H.265 (HEVC) included:

image.png.c0d55fa89f189ce2b7b8e0cc62ef26d4.png

It's more about processor. Let's not confusing with Resolve, based on eGPU resources consuming, instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 1:52 AM, Avenger 2.0 said:

If you are serious about video you should learn Davinci Resolve. Otherwise free Windows Movie Maker for basic stuff if you want no real learning curve. Used myself PowerDirector in the past (small learning curve), but cannot recommand it now as it is moving towards subscription like Adobe...

I bought pd  as well then the next day they upgraded it and no reasonable priced uprade path except full price. I quite liked it  but then the p4k arrived with resolve. I'll  be sticking to resolve unless they go subscription  based. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No trial version is offered by them? I use Joyoshare Media Cutter to edit video and audio files. It's easy to use and provides a free trial version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The free version of Resolve offers more than most of us would ever need I guess. The only thing is that I don't find it to be as intuitive as some other editors. Once you know how to use it it is very powerful, though. Probably best to invest a few hours in a course or some tutorials and off you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...