Panasonic GH6

kye

51 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Looks like they're announcing a new battery with the S5 that will be compatible with the GH5, GH5s and G9. Guessing it might end up being the same battery they'll use for the GH6? 

This is very intriguing.

From a business standpoint wouldn’t they want you to have to buy different batteries for the cameras? More money in their pocket and larger total product margins.

I’m going to double down on my theory that the GH6 will share the S5 body.

Leaked price is at $1,999.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

This is very intriguing.

From a business standpoint wouldn’t they want you to have to buy different batteries for the cameras? More money in their pocket and larger total product margins.

I’m going to double down on my theory that the GH6 will share the S5 body.

Leaked price is at $1,999.

They've always been good about using batteries across different bodies. I mean they've been using the same battery since the GH3!

It is interesting though! 

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

This is very intriguing.

From a business perspective they should want to not fvxk over their current loyal fan base. 

If a brand did that every generation for no real reason at all, it would be a big negative against me buying it. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

From a business perspective they should want to not fvxk over their current loyal fan base. 

If a brand did that every generation for no real reason at all, it would be a big negative against me buying it. 

It’s rare to see the same batteries being used among one brand across different format cameras. I think its a wise move.

9 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

There's a saying in business - "100% of nothing is still nothing".  It's typically used to comment when people who own a business stifle the growth of the business because they want to retain full ownership and control and aren't willing to accept investment from other people.

I bring it up because I fully agree with @IronFilm about how people perceive battery choices on new products.  It is something that sways people's opinions, and you get more profit from having lots more customers with only a small hit to profit margins.

Think of how many times you've seen a review of a monitor or a battery powered LED light and how the reviewer is happy to tell you that something takes "Sony NPF" or "Canon" batteries - they light up because it's something that could be a major pain but isn't.  The comments are normally along the lines of "and we've all got a bunch of them already so we're sorted".  

Think about how the P4K took Canon LP-E6 batteries.  They lasted 30 minutes a pop, and (here in Australia anyway) were about $100 each for the genuine ones.  Want to have a small rig but be able to shoot all day?  Let's imagine you'd need 10 of them.  That's AU$1000.  Plus chargers.  That's a pretty significant percentage of the cost of the camera.  

Batteries are not a small cost, and worse still, it's got that hassle factor.  People resent having to spend hundreds of dollars on batteries.  It matters.

7 hours ago, sanveer said:

Yes, true. I am curious what the % improvement in battery life will be. 

My point is: there will be a GH6? Using GH5 compatible batteries is a good incentive for switching...

I always thought that, if Panasonic would release a new MFT camera, would be the GH6. But with no "rumors" flowing, no MFT news since the 10-25 f/1.7...maybe there will not be one.

12 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

My point is: there will be a GH6? Using GH5 compatible batteries is a good incentive for switching...

I always thought that, if Panasonic would release a new MFT camera, would be the GH6. But with no "rumors" flowing, no MFT news since the 10-25 f/1.7...maybe there will not be one.

It’s very possible. However there has been very subtle hints dropped here and there on LUMIX live broadcasts with Matt and Sean and perhaps a very subtle one by Phillip Bloom in one of his live shows (he wouldn’t even say the name GH6 I regards to a question). 

@Márcio Kabke Pinheiro I agree with @Video Hummus. Panasonic has been giving slight hints here and there, about the GH6. I guess till the head of product launch or the head of Lumix doesn't say it, nobody can mention anything, officially.  

The S5 is also great in terms of pricing, because it means that the GH6 will have a price correction. The only question, though, would be by how much (I am guessing between $1500-1750, if it doesn't add some insane video features, or hardware feature, almost never seen before). I am guessing Panasonic may add 1080p at 240fps and 4k at 120fps. Also, finally full Vlog (and maybe 6k at 60p).

I am guessing Panasonic may give us Hints about the GH6 on 2nd of September, during the S5 launch. Though without giving away features to expect. Only that they havent abandoned the M43 lineup or the GH6. 

Perhaps with the delay of the Summer Olympics to July 2021 gave some breathing room for Panasonic to re-evaluate the capabilities.

When they launched the S camera’s the official company line was “Panasonic is on track for 8K by 2020”.

I assumed we would have seen it in a FF S series camera, but with the release of the S5 and the past 24MP S1H release it hasn’t come to pass.

The spirit of the GH MFT cameras has always been “the first with 4K...the first with 4K 60p...”. Or in more broad terms to push the limits. However, we have see a gigantic leap in FF technology. We have 8K, we have 4K120p, all offered in 10-bit 420 or better, with excellent rolling shutter performance.

At this point I would rather see the first internal ND solution in a mirrorless camera than 8K from a MFT sensor. I would rather see a very solid 6K60p and 4K120p. I would rather have internal RAW or ProRes HQ straight from the camera. Give us dual gain ISO from GH5S with IBIS. Give us some more absolutely unique 1.7 prime zooms like the 10-25 f/1.7 A 25-50 f/1.7 would pair nicely indeed and give us a native mount lens with AF that would compete with the classic speedbooster Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 f/1.8 setups. Besides, we have all the other focal lengths and aperture combinations already covered in the extensive MFT lens ecosystem. People that complain about these big and heavy MFT lenses don’t need yet another 12-35 f2.8 standard zoom!

All of those features above actually improve the shooting experience with the camera. 6K is a nice middle ground, offering excellent 4K delivery and makes a “8K” anamorphic headline grabber still possible, while also offering a high resolution HFR not seen in any other mirrorless camera. Besides, I could shoot 6K60p and use a superscaler from BM Resolve or Topaz and essential get a 8K60p video and very few people would be the wiser.

All the new “hybrid” cameras aren’t really hybrids at all. The R5/R6 are photo first cameras. They shit the bed for video. The Sony A7SIII is an excellent video mirrorless camera but its 12MP sensor hampers it for mixed photo work. Besides, I think Blackmagic is more of a threat they now have a S35 12K sensor shooting at 60p! Imagine something similar in a new pocket 6K camera with modular mount...ouch!

The A7IV will be a true hybrid but will probably max out at 4K60p video and still have a 24MP sensor, which is well within the competing range for 20MP+ MFT sensors for photo work.

And they don’t even have to use a 4:3 sensor if that don’t want to. JVC has proved that (although for photo I really like the 4:3 aspect ratio vs 3:2 a lot)!

Anyway, long rambling post. 

On 8/21/2020 at 3:50 PM, Video Hummus said:

It’s rare to see the same batteries being used among one brand across different format cameras. I think its a wise move.

I like that in the Audio world that the  FujiFIlm NP-50 battery is becoming a "standard" of sorts used across multiple different brands of audio gear!

13 hours ago, Nmccarthy said:

maybe this delay gives them enough time to get that organic sensor working for the gh6

I’m not sure they are working on this anymore? They need to partner with someone like Samsung that has a lot of OLED experience to further develop the Organic sensor idea. I think the biggest obstacle is you must keep it cool or it essential causes wear and tear on the sensor and a degraded image. In its last form it would be really hard to put it in a mirrorless camera. We haven’t even seen it in a VariCam yet!

But they boasted it had like 16 Stops of DR!

But there was an interview saying they will have a 8K camera for Olympus (now pushed to 2021) and that they were bringing the technology to cinema and then Lumix cameras. So maybe the delay of the olympics was a good thing for the LUMIX side of the development and they just decided to skip one generation and go onto the next...maybe...its a long shot.

EDIT: This one. The sensor looked like a S35 so perhaps they will try with a MFT sensor first before they figure out how to scale it up to FF SH series camera.

There is no way a GH6 is not coming.

There are too many lenses and m43 users around, and they are perfectly happy with their cameras. They do not even have to split the sales with Olympus now.

I could guess that 2019-2020 was the years of S cameras, 2021 will be the year of m43, in no way they are going to release another full frame camera any time soon (I mean, after the S5 will be officially announced and everything) and that would be...at least weird, if not straight negative. Already too many S1 owners feel a little "betrayed".

I am expecting a GH6 announcement in early 2021, and probably a release soon after. GH5 and the rest are good enough for another 8-10 months, then I will be expecting a slow (normal maybe) release of 2-3 years. Maybe just 2 or 3 models are enough for m43.

I am one of those that believe that 8K is too soon, I wouldn't say no to 5K or 6K for re-framing/downscaling/stabilizing purposes, just to be safe for the next few years. 

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

They need to partner with someone like Samsung that has a lot of OLED experience to further develop the Organic sensor idea.

Samsung had (atleast) one paper on the organic sensor. They did test it, on paper (maybe in a few versions). I read somewhere that the Panasonic organic camera is quite power hungry, so that may be one of the reasons (among a host if other reasons), for it's slow development.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am expecting a GH6 announcement in early 2021, and probably a release soon after. GH5 and the rest are good enough for another 8-10 months, then I will be expecting a slow (normal maybe) release of 2-3 years. Maybe just 2 or 3 models are enough for m43.

I am one of those that believe that 8K is too soon, I wouldn't say no to 5K or 6K for re-framing/downscaling/stabilizing purposes, just to be safe for the next few years. 

I am expecting the announcement in a few weeks, and the GH6 to release by year end or very early 2021. 

The GH6 just needs to do 6k at 60fps. And 4k at 120fps. If the quality if the 6k of 4k is good enough, you could easily upres with great results to 8k. Maybe even good 12k. They need to work on the autofocus and the dynamic  range. Everything else is pretty respectable. And I suspect rhs S5 will have mu h improved autofocus. They should just install Laser and ToF for autofocus and it will be damn close to PDAF.